2017 Ford F150 3.5 EcoBoost

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

I think you imagine you know how a modern slushbox works. After all, Google is a real info source.

Whatever dude. We know your car is the be all and end all of performance cars and that it is the most reliable vehicle ever produced. And everything else cannot keep up with the massive machine that is the SRT8. :rolleyes: We all bow to it's power and awesomeness!

I actually do know how a slush box (as well as a manual) works thanks. Even how HP And Torque work together so you can spare me the lecture there too.

Quote:
In case you missed the point, many truck owners care much more about the comfort level and OVERALL utility of the vehicle for the purchaser. They do not care what obvious fanboys say, because they make up their own mind. We LOVE our RAM, it's a terrific vehicle and has been flawless so far despite your advice!

Since their sales are through the roof it seems a few folks agree...

And what you are forgetting is that when loaded (like the towing test linked) you want the best performance. Not for the "drag race" but for things like merging, going up hills, and general drivability. Not having to wait for passing power or even not being able to keep up with traffic.

I had a nice lesson in that while towing through the mountains of PA a few weeks ago. 18 wheelers that were holding 45-50 up the hill. When it was clear, bump out and drop the hammer to pass them. Within a relatively reasonable period of time I was able to pass them. My EB was great - a 6.2 GMC would have been even better. That's what having a quick vehicle will do for you - when you need that extra power you are less of a burden to the already crowded roads.

And since more people chose GM or Ford I'd say those are preferred to Ram despite your elation with your model. That's with Ram having the highest incentives and lowest prices than the competition. Something that brought them to bankruptcy TWICE.

Last edited:
I love that Ford is innovative and has the guts to push the envelope. Sign me up for an FX4 with 4:11 gears. With the new aluminum body, that thing will set sail muey pronto. Today's trucks are today's affordable performance vehicles!

For ITGuy:

Actually, as a 40+ year veteran of car ownership I absolutely agree with your assessment of the SRT8. With over 200 dragstrip passes and dozens of road course track days it has indeed proven to be one heck of a great car. Still super tight and solid, nary a squeak or a rattle. My ninth tracked car and by far the most reliable!

I know that rocks your boat, but you can take all those stats you worship and stick 'em where the sun don't shine. I have said repeatedly that stats only apply to a group, NOT to an individual. Who cares about your diatribes about Chrysler? Certainly not me.

Your fanboy posturing about Fords is predictable and repetitive. And many of us are tired of you ranting in every thread about a Mopar product. Please go and worship at your statistical altar now and remind yourself how all the car and truck rags proclaim you to be correct and you must be the smartest fellow of us all...

For ITGuy:

Actually, as a 40+ year veteran of car ownership I absolutely agree with your assessment of the SRT8. With over 200 dragstrip passes and dozens of road course track days it has indeed proven to be one heck of a great car. Still super tight and solid, nary a squeak or a rattle. My ninth tracked car and by far the most reliable!

I know that rocks your boat, but you can take all those stats you worship and stick 'em where the sun don't shine. I have said repeatedly that stats only apply to a group, NOT to an individual. Who cares about your diatribes about Chrysler? Certainly not me.

Your fanboy posturing about Fords is predictable and repetitive. And many of us are tired of you ranting in every thread about a Mopar product. Please go and worship at your statistical altar now and remind yourself how all the car and truck rags proclaim you to be correct and you must be the smartest fellow of us all...

I've had good service from Chrysler too. Actually, the biggest P.O.S. I ever owned was a Ford.

If you have an issue with what I write, I suggest you write a moderator or ignore it. Especially since you don't care about my "diatribes against Chrysler".

Originally Posted By: itguy08

You have great service from yours. That's awesome. That's not the experience of most owners. Nor is my experiences reflective of the majority of owners.

Actually, it probably IS reflective of the experience for most SRT owners, similar to how most Shelby owners aren't complaining about the GT500. The top trim level cars get better parts.

The LX cars are pretty good vehicles, and the Mercedes NAG-1 transmission was/is a reliable gearbox. Their biggest issue was premature wear in front end components, things that failed faster than they would on the Crown Vic in police, Taxi or Limo service. The SRT has different front-end parts that don't have the same issues associated with them.

I'm not going to defend Steve, he's more than capable of doing that himself. I will however state that you DO appear to have an agenda with respect to intentionally posting anti-FCA things in threads. Regularly. We get it, you don't like Chrysler, at this stage in the game I don't believe that would be new information to any member of this forum, so the fervor that continues with respect to this posting pattern does indeed seem a bit unnecessary IMHO. I think we've all got the memo.

At some point, passionate turns into annoying, and I think we've reached that point.

If you have an issue with what I write, I suggest you write a moderator or ignore it. Especially since you don't care about my "diatribes against Chrysler".

You really shortened that post up from what it was previously.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver

Yup. Even the snipped I quoted was removed
21.gif

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver

Yeah -we don't need another lengthy post rehashing the same things. That was the "meat" of the post anyway.

Last edited:

And just a note to ITguy, you got so excited over the opportunity to say something critical about the RAM you forgot that any gearbox MULTIPLIES torque until it's in 1-1. But then your transmission expertise is noted here...

I know how a transmission works, thanks.

The 8 speed was supposed to be the end all from the Ram guys. It was supposed to have the RAM demolish the competition. It didn't for towing speed or MPG (Ram was last), or really anything else. The Hemi was last or tied for last in all towing metrics. The little GM 5.3 beat out the much more powerful Hemi....

The GM was the one to beat with it's 6.2 and 8 speed. The Ecoboost was a close 2nd.

Do you even own a pickup?

I do and it is a Ram with the 5.7 and ZF 8. It rides smooth, it accelerates more than adequate and it averaged over 27MPG on a round trip to Missouri this January. This is while hauling my wife and 2 youngest boys with all of our gear. Sorry to burst your bubble bud, this trip was better than any trip I have taken in a late model Ford or GM product.

Sorry truck trend or any other rag test does not equate to the real world or certain consumers preference. Not to mention I purchased this truck at around 80% of comparable F150's or Silverado 1500's and no matter what information you post from Truckin magazine the Ram is not 80% of the truck of a F150 or Silverado 1500.

I won't ignore anybody. Just as ITguy has a right to express his opinion I have every right to refute it. And I will continue to.

I have never used the ignore button. And likely never will. That's not my style and it isn't going to change.

Better get used to it...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dave1251

Yup, 2011 F150 Supercrew, Ecoboost with the mythical Max Tow package. Owned it for 3.5 years now. Even actually, you know, tow stuff with it.

Last edited:
I won't ignore anybody. Just as ITguy has a right to express his opinion I have every right to refute it. And I will continue to.

I have never used the ignore button. And likely never will. That's not my style and it isn't going to change.

Better get used to it...

Doesn't bother me in the least bit. I've got no issues with free speech.

Yup, 2011 F150 Supercrew, Ecoboost with the mythical Max Tow package. Owned it for 3.5 years now. Even actually, you know, tow stuff with it.

OK this explains everything. Nothing but a fanboi.

What is mythical about the max tow package?

Originally Posted By: Silverado12

I've had good service from Chrysler too.

Add me to that list. I'm happy with my 08 Jeep and even happier with the 2016. If I was in the market for a pickup I'd be looking at a Ram. FTR I'm a Ford guy although my opinion of them in the past few years has changed.

Originally Posted By: BeerCan

Extremely hard to find, new or used. Almost always a special order new and very hard to find on the used market. Similar to the HD Payload package. Combine the 2 and it's pretty much unobtanium in the used market.

OK this explains everything. Nothing but a fanboi.

Did reading comprehension escape you?

Guess you missed when I said the GM was the faster of the 2 (Page 2, post #4087384). Or said flip a coin and buy the GM or Ford - they are the best in trucks (numerous times). The Toyota or Nissan trucks would be better than a Ram.

Last edited:

Extremely hard to find, new or used. Almost always a special order new and very hard to find on the used market. Similar to the HD Payload package. Combine the 2 and it's pretty much unobtanium in the used market.

HMM ok. Must be a regional thing. My 2011 EB had max tow and my 2016 has it as well. Was not difficult to find at all, I probably had at least 20 trucks to choose from between the 3 dealers I looked at.

HMM ok. Must be a regional thing. My 2011 EB had max tow and my 2016 has it as well. Was not difficult to find at all, I probably had at least 20 trucks to choose from between the 3 dealers I looked at.

Could be, I'm up in PA. I had been looking for trucks for about 6 months and only saw 2 used with Max Tow (Plenty with regular tow packages), one lasted 3 days and the other was the one I bought. New dealer stock was about the same thing - plenty of regular tow packages but no Max Tow ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back