So, what is BITOG's latest darling oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the exact oil I use in my Pre-War Packard. It is excellent in this application, and I comfortably get 800 mile OCIs with this oil, in a car with no oil filter, and original not rebult engine.
-Chad

Last edited:
I have been a huge fan of Delo400LE for a long time. It has many applications. But is not appropriate for late model BMW's, most turbo Euro cars, Prius, etc. So for a good old USA engine - Delo is great. For my BIL's new Beemer - not the hot ticket ...

I can't think of any one oil that now dominates the dittohead recommendations from newbies.
GC had its day as did PP. G-Oil and NextGen enjoyed brief days in the sun, powered by constant FAR offers.
TGMO's day has come and gone.
Cold it be that we've entered an end of history phase, where those who've been around for a while have read enough threads about enough different oils that we've come full circle and once again recognize that any oil meeting the appropriate specs is as good as any other meeting the same specs?
Even the now mostly impromptu thick versus thin threads lack the vigor they once had.
It used to be that any such thread would run at least ten pages.
Could it be that we've collectively actually learned something from one another?

Originally Posted By: camrydriver111
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: A_Harman
It was M1 0w40 EF until they reformulated it, and lost a lot of manufacturer approvals.

A lot of approvals? BMW LL-01 is the only one missing in the latest version, AFAIK.

It's also missing Nissan GT-R approval.

It lost it a long time ago and not as a result of the most recent reformulation.

What are the technical performance details behind the gt-r approval anyway?

From what I've seen on here the GT-R approval (is it even an "approval"?) meant little.

But I agree that M1 0W-40 didn't lose "a lot of manufacturer approvals" no matter how you look at it.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
From what I've seen on here the GT-R approval (is it even an "approval"?) meant little.

Yup. That's what I was getting at.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
I can't think of any one oil that now dominates the dittohead recommendations from newbies.
GC had its day as did PP. G-Oil and NextGen enjoyed brief days in the sun, powered by constant FAR offers.
TGMO's day has come and gone.... Could it be that we've collectively actually learned something from one another?

Nope, never goinna happen
laugh.gif

I can't learn from you cause I already know it all ...

Last edited:
Yeah GT-R is not a real approval. Not like HTO-06... What the toughness of this HTO-06 anyway?? I wonder...

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
TGMO's day has come and gone.
Cold it be that we've entered an end of history phase, where those who've been around for a while have read enough threads about enough different oils that we've come full circle and once again recognize that any oil meeting the appropriate specs is as good as any other meeting the same specs?
Even the now mostly impromptu thick versus thin threads lack the vigor they once had.
It used to be that any such thread would run at least ten pages.
Could it be that we've collectively actually learned something from one another?
Shucky-darn! You mean that I might have to look into a political forum for excitement?

Seriously though, I think that the dexos specs slowed down discussion about best oil - the mindset became "if it meets dexos, you're good to go."

And, the oils I use are typically 2 levels above any manufacturer's minimum dexos oil, so I'm comfortable.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: Kuato
Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
Look at the banner at the top of your screen.

cheers3.gif
Top of mine says Havoline.

I'm not seeing any banners.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Olas
Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
Look at the banner at the top of your screen.

There isn't one.

Looks like you guys will have to come up with your very own opinions.
laugh.gif

Supertech syn was my darling bout 10 years ago. Then it was penz ultra (old formula) because I got a whole bunch at auto zone clearance. Now it's Super S syn blend because i got a bunch of 5 qt jugs for $8ea on sale. We will see what's next after my stash runs dry. With all these oil clearance sales, I can't justify paying retail Mobil, Castrol, amsoil, redline, valv, etc

Pennzoil of all types seem to be the favorite currently. I have been jumping on the Pennzoil Platinum bandwagon one vehicle at a time since I joined BITOG. Judge me. But it is a great oil, so are the rest of the API SN oils. Haha

But I agree that M1 0W-40 didn't lose "a lot of manufacturer approvals" no matter how you look at it.

False.

image2.jpg

image4.jpg

The Chrysler spec is now obsolete (replaced by the new one under FIAT) and the others below the table are just "recommended for" which means they aren't formal approvals.

So it appears LL-01 and the GT-R recommendation are what have vanished
21.gif

What exactly is false? As far as I can determine GT-R is not an approval and as Overkill noted the Chrysler one is obsolete. So by my count it has lost one approval.

Originally Posted By: camrydriver111

False.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back