When you're fixing for the short term......

Status
Not open for further replies.
It tends to be an interesting question to post...

We have a 13 year old Cavalier that we are fixing up. While she has been a great runner, and sound for the most part-the body has seen 13 MI winters, and even with crazy amount of washing off I have done-rust is catching up...

I am in the process of updating the car...figuring the car might have two years or so before the rust gets real bad. So I am looking cheaper, but solid parts for the car. Just picked up brakes and rotors...cheaper rotors, but wagner thermoquiets pads ( lots of city driving)

Now I am grabbing quick struts, and not sure which quick struts to buy. I figure we might get 30k out of the car before we junk it-what would you get?

The goal here is to keep it safe, but not spend more than I have to at this point in the car....

Though the BITOGer in me says get the deal, though I've seen good prices in KYB in different places....or maybe the cheapo Monroes and the very least......

Originally Posted By: Rolla07
Depends on price difference. Not sure if sensens will last 30k...

There is some crazy differences...some of the cheap china stuff was like 60 bucks a strut...

Monroe or KYB would be around 100-130 a strut.

My car will be getting Monroe (only needs 2 struts, not 4) because It will be around for a while....

Kinda makes me wonder if the Monroe EM's would last that long...

Originally Posted By: daves87rs
I figure we might get 30k out of the car before we junk it-what would you get?

You sound like that 30,000 mile figure is pretty iffy. Is the car even worth putting new struts on? Or can it be driven as-is for the next year or so?

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit

You sound like that 30,000 mile figure is pretty iffy. Is the car even worth putting new struts on? Or can it be driven as-is for the next year or so?
That's what I was thinking. I sure wouldn't be putting new struts on a car I was throwing away in 2 years.

In my driveway, a car like that doesn't get struts unless they're rocking me to sleep while I drive. It would be a different story if there were no plans to get rid of it. That's just how I do it.

I'd get non-quick struts and up your skillset. Cavaliers aren't heavy (with tight springs) and you can use the loan a tool spring compressor from autozone.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
I'd get non-quick struts and up your skillset. Cavaliers aren't heavy (with tight springs) and you can use the loan a tool spring compressor from autozone.

Good idea. The problem with cheap quickstruts (and even Monroe and KYB ones) is the mount bearings often fail. Way too often. Unless yours is clunking, re-use the existing bits and just get struts, or springs if needed for whichever end needs them.

A little bit more work (not much in the overall scheme), and quality parts for the same price as junkier quickstruts.

You need to think basic safety, rather than comfort. Many of us who maintain our vehicles in a superb manner maintain them too long after we conclude it's time to sell.

Fly out to LA. Buy a used one the same as yours. Get a basic service. Go to Disneyland. Drive it home. Swap plates and any stereo stuff and drive on. Push the rust away to yard (art?), or to the junk man
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: Oro_O
eljefino said:

Quote:

Good idea. The problem with cheap quickstruts (and even Monroe and KYB ones) is the mount bearings often fail. Way too often. Unless yours is clunking, re-use the existing bits and just get struts, or springs if needed for whichever end needs them.

That is what I did on a Saturn SL2. I did install KYB struts from Rock Auto. Re-used strut mounts. Just re-greased the bearings. A lot of people that went the route of quick struts or aftermarket mounts ended up with noise and needing to swap parts out. What I did was cheaper and I have had zero problems.

Originally Posted By: eljefino

Would, but it is already replacing some quick struts (raybestos PS, and I wouldn't want to reuse these with a bit over 60k on them...thinking that might be a bad idea...
smile.gif

I used quick struts because I don't feel safe compressing the spring. Not something I want to deal with.

How bad are the current struts that you want to spend the money on new ones?

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit

Engine and trans-no problem! I've kept up both very well-and both are still solid. It will go for while there. The body and the rest of the car, well maybe not so much. Granted, it's very much a base model, and there is not much to replace....

Her car puts about 10k a year on it now, so I was adding more miles in case...

Originally Posted By: Ethan1
In my driveway, a car like that doesn't get struts unless they're rocking me to sleep while I drive. It would be a different story if there were no plans to get rid of it. That's just how I do it.

Roads here in MI will break them off here....
15.gif

Originally Posted By: Leo99
I used quick struts because I don't feel safe compressing the spring. Not something I want to deal with.

How bad are the current struts that you want to spend the money on new ones?

Fails the bounce test....

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
I wouldn't replace the struts unless I had to on a car that close to its rust death

I think it still has a while before a rust death...it is starting to rust, but it's still pretty solid underneath and under the doors. But, it's starting a rust a little more now....

Look on amazon, i saw some made in china, but got near 5 star reviewsLast year i put cheap napa response struts on. Ireccomd against them. rear of car is sagging again and about 8,000 miles on em. The mount on top, was missing a bolt, on both of them, nor did the mounts on both sides, the bolts line up too the bolt holes. They were off 1 mm and couldnt be squeezed into the holes. I wasted $300, when i prob coulda gotten better cheap struts off lets say amazon, or rockauto. napa has some huge ripp off prices.

Originally Posted By: ziggy
Look on amazon, i saw some made in china, but got near 5 star reviewsLast year i put cheap napa response struts on. Ireccomd against them. rear of car is sagging again and about 8,000 miles on em. The mount on top, was missing a bolt, on both of them, nor did the mounts on both sides, the bolts line up too the bolt holes. They were off 1 mm and couldnt be squeezed into the holes. I wasted $300, when i prob coulda gotten better cheap struts off lets say amazon, or rockauto. napa has some huge ripp off prices.

Surprised with the Napa ones....

Most I found on Amazon were the China made ones, Sensen, DTA, Unity. Saw Detroit Axle ones as well, but also hear those too are major junk...

Starting to think I should pick an end to do instead of doing them all at one time.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back