Shock recommendation for a lightly-driven truck?

I had the opposite experience, Gabriel ultra white shocks on my step-daughters grand vitara, and found them soft, no more controlled that whatever came off of it.

kyb is probably a safer bet in value.

IME monroes ride well but soften up more than you’d hope. Reflex and Sensatrak would be my suggestions there.

bilstein is $$ and I’ve been disappointed with a newer set which wore quickly

motocraft shocks are known junk in the f150 world. They are inexpensive but don’t last long at all. Avoid. Not worth the labor.

Bilstein has a life time warranty. Did you pursue that?

Given your choices KYB or Motorcraft particularly if the Motorcraft are the OE line.

However. Bilstein 4600 ride as good as a ranger will ever ride.

I installed the cheap Gabriel's on my 1990 Ranger XLT. It has never rode better. The factory shocks were still hard.too hard, and wife and I always complained about the ride. Mine has the 2.9L.

I put Gabriel Ultras on my 1997 Ranger. OK I guess. On the firmer side I'd say.

Shocks only can do so much for ride quality.

Especially if you have a solid front axle like my F250.

Like the movie "As Good as it Gets"

I've got Twin I Beam on my 1997, probably not as good as the wishbone suspension that came a year later. Although I have owned a 98 Ranger and I don't remember a big difference in ride quality. I think the 97 has more vagueness in the steering.

• Haha
Reactions: D60
My 4wd F150 is a truck and rides like a truck. Wouldn't expect anything less. Although, I think Fords"s cross-beam front suspension rides better than the solid front axle.

• Haha
Reactions: D60
This is not a, "What's the use..." post.
Seriously, I've tinkered (compared to some of yuz guys) with cars for decades. The Q's & A's over shocks haven't changed one bit.

Bilsteins being good shocks is, perhaps, the only constant.

My '05 Ranger had monotube shocks built by Bilstein (FX4 trim) as did certain Chevrolet trucks and perhaps others.
The previous owner changed them for quality Monroes (also monotube?) a while back but no part number/specification iwas recorded.
A search two years ago turned up no monotube from Monroe.

Things seem to come and go in shock absorber land.

I’m going with the KYB Gas-A-Just. They seem like the poor man’s Bilstein, and were cheaper than Motorcraft.

Also going to order Delphi control arms as well, if I serviced this truck regularly I would have gone Moog CK-level “Problem Solver” since they require regular greasing. I’d trust Turkish parts over Chinese white box or Mevotech.

Not impressed with Bilstein. Their lifetime warranty is total BS. You have to mail the shocks back to them and wait for them to evaluate them. *** do you do in the mean time with no shocks??? Give up driving your truck and take the bus. I’ve had two front Bilsteins fail on my Silverado now.

Back