Front strut options for 2018 Subaru Impreza?

Get nauseous driving this car on the highway as the front end bounces up and down continuously. Don't see many choices out there. KYB at Rock Auto for $60 each, or twice that from the dealer for OEM. Nothing from Monroe, Koni, Bilstein. Would also replace the strut mounts and they cost as much as the struts! WTH? Any other brands make them for this model?

Give that clapped out Impreza some love. KYB is your best bet for both the struts and mounts. While your at it, the rears are probably gassed out too.

I've had good luck with KYB quick struts, bare struts, and shocks. I don't really mind fooling around with my spring compressor on little light cars, but if the mounts have 350k miles on them, I would just get the quick strut.

Depends what you're going after - the OE struts are tuned pretty soft. Not sure if the aftermarket will feel the same.

A friend of mine has the same issue with his '18 Impresa.... he wants stiffer rear springs and Bilsteins, no one has anything.
Even when new this Subaru was on the floaty side, which is not too surprising since there is no rear sway bar and those springs are soft.

If the wrx struts fit, fit the wrx springs as well so they are matched, but you would need to do all four corners, increasing the cost of repair a fair bit. Is this one of your personal vehicles or one you’re going to sell?

Ended up driving 300 miles round trip to pick up a pair of junkyard strut assemblies for $80 off a 44,000 mile car. By the time I bought aftermarket KYB struts and strut mounts, I would have been at $260 and then still had 350,000 mile springs and boots. If I added those, I'd have been over $500. Not worth it on a cheaper car.

IMG_1853.JPG

Because I rather show I installed a name brand part than the cheapest bottom of the barrel part. Gives buyers more confidence and car sells quicker and for more.

Back