Shock recommendation for a lightly-driven truck?

Truck in question: 1998 Ford Ranger, 3.0L V6 extended cab, 2WD so no torsion bars.

I’m working on getting parts for the front end rebuild. I’m having a hard time deciding on shocks. On Rock, I have Motorcraft, KYB, Monroe, Gabriel and the Chinesium brands, PRT who supposedly supplies Advance/Carquest and FCS which might be Duralast or MasterPro. Owner of the truck wants a refresh of the front end after 250K, it currently has a set of Motorcraft shocks on it. The truck itself isn’t gonna see some gnarly off roading or towing.

KYB just isn’t what they used to be anymore, we all know Monroes get soft and feel like they’re blown out. IME, I’ve had luck with KYB Excel-Gs. The owner wants a “good” ride, it’s a truck granted but something he can tolerate. Stick with another set of Motorcrafts, or should I gamble with Gabriel or PRT?

I am a KYB Gas-A-Just fan, that is what I use on most of my cars when they need shocks. Currently I have a set on the Impala. For my trucks, historically I have replaced them with Bilstein. My last 2 trucks (1996 K1500 with Z71 and 2006 Sierra 1500 with Z71) I replaced the OE Z71 (off road package) shocks with Bilsteins when it was time and was really happy. I don't off road per se but I always have had the Z71 off road package on my 4x4 GM trucks. Either of these is what I would probably use on your Ranger job.

If you want a teeth jarring ride get the KYB. I can't understand the popularity of these hard sprung shocks. If the truck is truly light duty get Monroes.

If you want a teeth jarring ride get the KYB. I can't understand the popularity of these hard sprung shocks. If the truck is truly light duty get Monroes.
Yes, Monroe would be a good choice here.

Reactions: CKN
I never found the Gas-a-just to be very hard at all. Very good damping. Way better than the junk that comes oem. It's the leaf or coil springs that do the springing. KYB does make a very stiff shock other than the gas-a-just. Something similar to the horrible Monroe Magnums but better quality. I'm referencing street driven half ton trucks, not HD trucks that are going to have a bad ride no matter.

KYB or Bilstein is my go to, Monroe has become trash over the years.
Yea, installed a set on an old Nissan Quest - felt fine new but got soft as they wore in. I had to install a pair on a friend’s Explorer - an improvement over the shot Motorcraft but they need to replaced.

I recently installed those on my F150 and regret it. Very stiff and hard riding.
I had the opposite experience, Gabriel ultra white shocks on my step-daughters grand vitara, and found them soft, no more controlled that whatever came off of it.

kyb is probably a safer bet in value.

IME monroes ride well but soften up more than you’d hope. Reflex and Sensatrak would be my suggestions there.

bilstein is $$ and I’ve been disappointed with a newer set which wore quickly

motocraft shocks are known junk in the f150 world. They are inexpensive but don’t last long at all. Avoid. Not worth the labor.

I had the opposite experience, Gabriel ultra white shocks on my step-daughters grand vitara, and found them soft, no more controlled that whatever came off of it.

kyb is probably a safer bet in value.

IME monroes ride well but soften up more than you’d hope. Reflex and Sensatrak would be my suggestions there.

bilstein is $$ and I’ve been disappointed with a newer set which wore quickly

motocraft shocks are known junk in the f150 world. They are inexpensive but don’t last long at all. Avoid. Not worth the labor.
Yea, I’d figure anything is an improvement over the Motorcrafts right now. Monroe killed Sensa-TRAC years ago, it’s now OE Spectrum. Those and Gas-Magnums are available for this truck. No Reflex option.

I have KYB Momomax on an early 2000s model half ton ford 4x4 and it has
never ridden better. Excellent shocks, in my opinion.

Back