Lost my mind, about to buy Genesis Coupe 3.8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, I am getting got locked out of my own thread. lol

As for the "Doc" thing, nope. I am fine being called whatever. I work in higher ed (admin) so I use it professionally. We have a lot of the "hierarchy" so see the Big Bang Theory for examples.

Also, my father in law is "Doc". My nickname/handle comes from his clients when I was entering my PhD and marrying into the family. Now he is a "real" Doc... aka a DVM which if you are in a rural farming/livestock community, you cattle are your livelihood thus more important that the other types
wink.gif

I had a big long post but something odd is/was going on so I can't do it.

Anyway... here is the cliff-notes version.

Shoz: Thanks for the Gencoupe forum. I am a lurker there. I have found all the carseat threads and sent them to the mrs.

Mrs. Well cared for. She has had the last two new cars, including the 2014 Outback (bought on my birthday!). She has picked the town, near her family, she picked out the house that I renovated... added hardwood & slate floors, redid plumbing, reglazed windows, tilework/bathroom. She even had the baby on her schedule... those last 5 months while I did all of the renovation work (save for installing new front doors, I contracted that out so I had a lockable door in under 5 hours).

Depreciation: I have only sold one of "my" cars. The 280Z. I was entering the PhD (pronounced "fud") program and did not have the time/cash to rebuild it (again) properly. It needed a engine rebuild and underbody rust attention. Sold it to a guy who did restore it right. Bought the MR2 with some of that funds and paid that off before graduating. Will sell the old subaru just to pay-off the new car faster... but I am tempted to hold onto it.

With a baby to tote around why don't you get something with a little more usable space such as a Audi A3 or some sort of sport wagon (wrx wagon even)?

While I have 3 kids and need more space, I can't imagine driving a small coupe. What if you pop out another kid in the next few years? Jamming all their [censored] in the back of a coupe will not be fun for you or the kids/wife. Then you'll lose your @$$ on getting a new vehicle.

IMO, get something more practical that you don't have to worry about then get a toy to drive around. I drive a Subaru Outback as my A to B car ( its a manual and is actually pretty fun) and have toys for the weekends.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Huie83
With a baby to tote around why don't you get something with a little more usable space such as a Audi A3 or some sort of sport wagon (wrx wagon even)?

While I have 3 kids and need more space, I can't imagine driving a small coupe. What if you pop out another kid in the next few years? Jamming all their [censored] in the back of a coupe will not be fun for you or the kids/wife. Then you'll lose your @$$ on getting a new vehicle.

IMO, get something more practical that you don't have to worry about then get a toy to drive around. I drive a Subaru Outback as my A to B car ( its a manual and is actually pretty fun) and have toys for the weekends.

The OP also has an Outback. I find its quite rare we need to use the cargo capacity of both the Focus and CRV at the same time, so only one family hauler is needed for us atleast. I think I'd still get a 4 door sporty-ish sedan just to simplify kid loading but once they are 3 they can climb in themselves and even do most of the strapping in, so 4 doors aren't really a necessity.

I think we should all list our degrees or achievements in our usernames. High School, GED, Street Smarts? Why not?

Future_BS would be just fine with me.

I would think the GTI would be the best fit and a bargain. Surprised the test drive didn't work out for ya.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
That would be me. It sure sucks but I'm not bitter about it, at least I have my motorcycle to get my dose of fun.

Not to say that Toronto's climate is anywhere near tropical, but you could move to Saskatchewan, which would be motorcycle purgatory.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Garak
That would be me. It sure sucks but I'm not bitter about it, at least I have my motorcycle to get my dose of fun.

Not to say that Toronto's climate is anywhere near tropical, but you could move to Saskatchewan, which would be motorcycle purgatory.
wink.gif

crackmeup2.gif

Toronto and pretty much the whole Southern Ontario is not any better, not because of the weather, but because all roads are straight and flat. I'm actually thinking of getting a dual sport motorbike and hitting up some crown land for more thrills.

Last edited:
I have two girls 6 & 7 and been through this game.

When young and in full baby car seats, coupes get tiring. It's doable, but it wears off quick. But if you can push through that things get much easier during the booster seat years. 4,5,6... The kids can get in and out of the back by themselves so it's not really a huge deal.

As for your list I would have to say the GTI. The refinement of the ride and interior is something you sometimes overlook and wish you had when lugging the kids around. VW is in a place right now where they are willing to deal more than ever before. And the new GTI has some good fun power for a DD.

We have a Focus ST. It works but the cabin is more cramped than others in the category. The ride is a little rough for passengers too.

I saw my local VW dealer blowing out 2015 Golf S's with the 5 speed manual for $16k. So much car for the money.

You have the Mustang and Camaro on the list but unusable back seats are the problem. Have you considered a Challenger? Most usable back seats and trunk room of the three. And a pretty sweet daily driver IMO.

Last edited:
Toronto and pretty much the whole Southern Ontario is not any better, not because of the weather, but because all roads are straight and flat. I'm actually thinking of getting a dual sport motorbike and hitting up some crown land for more thrills.

With our road conditions, a dual purpose bike is a pretty decent idea here, too. And don't get me started about Saskatchewan motorcycle insurance, either. They need to do what they did with snowmobiles, but that's for another thread.

I hardly ever drive the car in my signature because my 3 year old in her car seat does squats with my seat back. Last year she was kicking it, the year before that she had a rear facing seat that didn't really leave me enough space to push the clutch in.

My other kid sits in back on the passenger side due to pick up/drop off and being on the correct side of the car.

When they were babies, I had no plans to drive them in my car. Now schedules have changed and I drive a CUV most of the time so I have width and depth for the kids, the tennis rackets, musical instruments, two book bags, lunch boxes, balls, etc. in the last 3 years I have put ~10k on the G35 and ~70k on the CUV. I much prefer driving the G35, but it is a PITA compared to a big automatic 4 door - and so the fun car sits.

I can't recommend a coupe for a new family, I can hardly recommend a small sedan. Yes, our parents did it - but we don't have to. I'm all for buying what you want, but I have a feeling you may regret it in the years to come - especially since you already have a fun car.

Originally Posted By: MCompact
Just because you are apparently serving time in automotive purgatory doesn't mean that everyone else has to.

Lucky you. Based upon my last purchases I skipped purgatory and went straight to automotive ____.

Originally Posted By: Noey
Future doc when you're not even a real doc is even more pathetic.

Listen, son, you're a grown up with responsibilities. A coupe as a family hauler is just plain selfish. Wait until the lil tax deduction is older and you can buy yourself a sports car or other toy for your very own use, and your wife can have the proper car she probably wants now. Right now, think about your wife and child. Make a compromise. Get a sensible sedan, you'll survive.

Just because you are apparently serving time in automotive purgatory doesn't mean that everyone else has to.

There are plenty of sporty powerful sedans out there that I would not call "automotive purgatory" and that offer the practicality that a parent could greatly appreciate. Other than cooler looks, is the Genesis coupe that much more sporty than Genesis sedan?

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: Noey
Future doc when you're not even a real doc is even more pathetic.

Listen, son, you're a grown up with responsibilities. A coupe as a family hauler is just plain selfish. Wait until the lil tax deduction is older and you can buy yourself a sports car or other toy for your very own use, and your wife can have the proper car she probably wants now. Right now, think about your wife and child. Make a compromise. Get a sensible sedan, you'll survive.

There are plenty of sporty powerful sedans out there that I would not call "automotive purgatory" and that offer the practicality that a parent could greatly appreciate. Other than cooler looks, is the Genesis coupe that much more sporty than Genesis sedan?

I agree; my response was aimed at the "sensible sedan" comment- which sounds to me like a boring vanilla transport appliance.

Originally Posted By: jigen
As for your list I would have to say the GTI. The refinement of the ride and interior is something you sometimes overlook and wish you had when lugging the kids around. VW is in a place right now where they are willing to deal more than ever before. And the new GTI has some good fun power for a DD.

Originally Posted By: mcrn
Was the GTI a coupe? Maybe the 4 door would be better?

I did drive the GTI and out of all the options, it was the biggest letdown of the group (save the Camaro's baskseat). It dropped from #2/3 on the list to #5. Even with the pricepoint drop. So, previously I had experience in a MkII, MkV, and MkVI. Heck, I did my first real driving-training and autox in a Fox. I just did not like the MkVII. I still have a soft-spot for it GTI but I was in the "stripped" S models and was not as impressed. I was expecting something above and beyond the WRX/Hyundai/anything and it was not one/two orders better. It is better than some, like the WRX (which the noise was a big drawback)... but not wow better. I actually felt that some of the touch surfaces were behind some other brands and the cloth insert in the door was rough. The ride was not great over the North Carolina concrete highways (the seams were pronounced) and I am thinking it was the shorter wheelbase making it known. I agree that the upper end models are better but I was not looking in that direction. The Hyundai rode better (which is something you don't read about). In most reviews, it is always the R-Spec for the GC coupe and it is a harsh ride. The base 3.8 with the "sport", not "track", setup was great without giving up too much around the bends. The GTI leather was better on the higher models than others but I was not looking for that.

I did not lose my mind... I never had it to begin with.

IMAG10321_zpszx8ulyxj.jpg

Pulled the trigger and grabbed a Gen Coupe last night after getting a big discount. It was an unsold 2015 w/ 400 miles on it (a lot still out there). I basically worked them over on the depreciation hit, VW eagerness, and a few 1-5K CPO Ultimates in the area asking with 5 grand off. Not as much room to play with the base, but I definitely got it discounted. Geeking out about it BITOG style now. What pushed me into pulling the trigger is odd:

Yesterday, I had to drop off the old subaru at a shop for work, and in the new subaru, my knees were rubbing the dash when I sit in front of the carseat. If I am not going to be uncomfortable in a Outback with a car seat behind me, I might as well deal with two doors and get what I like. Mrs gave me her blessing. She says it is "me".

The back seat in the GC is usable and at 6'3", in my normal driving position (which is far back and low), I can still squeeze back there... not comfortable but I could do 30 mins. I just don't work with the headroom. I think it is more usable that some give it credit for.

However, this might be what folks might be interested in... Holy [censored], I can use 5w30 or 10w30 and it only has to be SM!!!!! Dexos can go drive a 'Maro up a tree! Heck yeah. My stash is still good!!!!

IMAG10351_zpsreldtajf.jpg

IMAG10361_zpsk6wz7i09.jpg

Originally Posted By: FutureDoc
I did not lose my mind... I never had it to begin with.

IMAG10321_zpszx8ulyxj.jpg

Pulled the trigger and grabbed a Gen Coupe last night after getting a big discount. It was an unsold 2015 w/ 400 miles on it (a lot still out there). I basically worked them over on the depreciation hit, VW eagerness, and a few 1-5K CPO Ultimates in the area asking with 5 grand off. Not as much room to play with the base, but I definitely got it discounted. Geeking out about it BITOG style now. What pushed me into pulling the trigger is odd:

Yesterday, I had to drop off the old subaru at a shop for work, and in the new subaru, my knees were rubbing the dash when I sit in front of the carseat. If I am not going to be uncomfortable in a Outback with a car seat behind me, I might as well deal with two doors and get what I like. Mrs gave me her blessing. She says it is "me".

The back seat in the GC is usable and at 6'3", in my normal driving position (which is far back and low), I can still squeeze back there... not comfortable but I could do 30 mins. I just don't work with the headroom. I think it is more usable that some give it credit for.

However, this might be what folks might be interested in... Holy [censored], I can use 5w30 or 10w30 and it only has to be SM!!!!! Dexos can go drive a 'Maro up a tree! Heck yeah. My stash is still good!!!!

IMAG10351_zpsreldtajf.jpg

IMAG10361_zpsk6wz7i09.jpg

Congrats, great looking color. Enjoy the new ride!

Other specs? Cloth or leather? You get the manual you wanted?

Last edited:
Nice. Post some pics of the interior, and also a rear-facing child car seat installed.
smile.gif

I was just looking at the specs. Rear legroom is only 30", but front legroom is generous 44", so you can probably pull the front seat up and still have decent amount of legroom in the back. And you can always install the child seat behind the front passenger seat, especially if your wife is shorter than you. Or if she's anything like my wife, she always sits in the back seat next to our 1-year-old anyway.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back