Lost my mind, about to buy Genesis Coupe 3.8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Judgement day! How nice we have the ultra intelligent here to regulate our unruly behavior! Noey, go jump in a lake and bathe in your patronizing attitude. Imagining you are the smartest person in the room rarely reveals an intelligence, seems to reveal something a bit different.

X 1,000,000,000

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
Congrats on the new car, enjoy it.
thumbsup2.gif

Now, when your child is a little bit older, like 2+, strap him/her (I did not get if you have a son or a daughter) really tight in the seat and go out and hit some bends. I'm pretty sure he/she will love it.
I do this sometimes in our Mazda 3, which is pretty nimble and more than enough for public streets as far as corners are concerned, and my kids simply love it.

OMG you are a terrible excuse of a parent!!!! The danger, the horror!!!!
laugh.gif

My kids still miss the Tracker in Rwd, going sideways around the bends on our driveway, and going off roading.
Skid marks on the gravel driveway are very important too... We always have to back and look at them.

Don't worry. I will strap him in tight and then use the "alternative" route back from daycare.

town_mountain.jpg

IMGP0014.jpg

maybe a detour
curvy_mountain_road.jpg

While car shopping, my little one loved playing with the steering wheel of the showroom car. Then he found the horn, YAY! When we had to get our eardrums back, he was crawling between the wheels ... checking them and then reassessing him. Then he got under the car (don't worry, we were supervising him and I might have crawled under there with him during the paperwork wait time). I am brainwashing him to be a carguy.

Thanks for the support. (Just don't jump into a lake, it could scare the fish. They can't close their eyes to the horror.) The great thing about vehicles is that there is a lot of choice and a lot of different preferences. There is no "one-size fits all". Some people plan their vehicle purchases for the 1% of the most extreme cases and other plan for the 99%. Others go 50/50 or 70/30. My wife is a 1% buyer and I am a 90-ish percent buyer. I thought this was a 60/40 choice. Buy what you want with what you can afford. If you want the family hauler, fine. If you want the Jeep for urban commuting, fine. Only 2 wheels and wearing leathers in a July. OK. A big, loud cruiser financed now by the Italians, built on 20ya a German platform, using Detroit marketing... HEMI! (Mopar for "fine"). Faux-wood sided PT cruiser with the 3-speed auto (ok, somethings are never ok). No one car or type of car works for all. I know that cars in some folk's sigs are cars that others will never consider (fine!). There are some cars I love but would never own. Example: Challenger. My neighbor owns two (orange and purple... epic) and even have a modern Shelby GT500 down the road. Plenty of commuter civics too.

Some folks view a car only as a tool, or an appliance, or something else. For me (and a lot of others), it is one of my two hobbies (if you don't count running). After a long day, my wife can tell which car I took to work. Driving a car I like to drive is my zen moment. I talk cars, breath cars, scour the internet for cars, even discuss cars in the background of movies/tv. Finally, I convinced four bearded Professors (awkward because one was female) that they would let me look at cars for my PhD and then write about it. It worked. I think being able to drive this and afford it is a reward. No tickets and nearly no accidents (got rear-ended once while stopped in front of a grocery store. Nice girl hit me and freaked out... only cracked a bumper... DON"T TEXT AND DRIVE!). So why not. It has four seats, seatbelts, and airbags. Heck it has one of those "trunk" thingie in the back for "stuff".

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: FutureDoc
Don't worry. I will strap him in tight and then use the "alternative" route back from daycare.

town_mountain.jpg

IMGP0014.jpg

maybe a detour
curvy_mountain_road.jpg

My son's daycare was at the end of a winding two-lane as well. I usually drove my T-Bird Turbo Coupe beater. Once when my wife took him he told her that there was no one in front of her- so she could go FAST!!!
FYI, he's now 21 and survived his first year of driving behind the wheel of a 1975 2002. No tickets or accidents.

Originally Posted By: Noey
Originally Posted By: MCompact
Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle

I love how the condescension just DRIPS off every word!

Exactly!

And deservedly so.

Those who unabashedly and publicly revel in their own infantile self gratification deserve it.

A small coupe...not the mid sizers some of us recall from our own youth... as a family hauler for an 11 month old screams self absorbed. Rather than announce his future academic credentials, the OP would do well to learn the rudiments of adulthood.

*Driiiiiiiiiiiiiip*

Just because you were whipped into buying 'family approved' transportation doesn't mean we all have to be. OP already has one of those anyway, the coupe was for work.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Nice car, but why on earth is the fuel mileage so low?
Nevermind. Just read it has 348hp LOL.

My son who is now 26 years old but still remembers being strapped in a rental car and being driven spiritedly when he was barely two years old!

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Nice car, but why on earth is the fuel mileage so low?

That is a good question. One, the gearing is short which hurts. Not as bad as the MR2 but shorter than some others. I am averaging 22-23 in 90% city driving with some careful city thrashing on its first tank. Because the dealership was a good 40 minutes from me and a babies-r-us, the drive back and forth during baby-seat testing let me get the MPG from 17mph to 28 in about 70 miles. I have not given it a long trip yet but that was promising that I could get 30mpg+ in the 60-70mph highway trip.

Congrats Futuredoc. The mileage will improve when it gets some miles on it. I get +30 with mile but 2L turbo and a tune does that.

Does yours have the limited slip rear end?

Originally Posted By: SHOZ
Congrats Futuredoc. The mileage will improve when it gets some miles on it. I get +30 with mile but 2L turbo and a tune does that.

Nope, open diff. This is my cruiser, MR2 is still my autox car. So, I went with the "base" model. I preferred the base suspension over the R-spec/Ultimate. If you look at any other reviews of the post facelift models, all talk/mention/complain about the stiff ride because they are either r-spec or ultimates. I drove both and would agree that it is much less comfortable. The sport/base suspension is firm enough for the back roads without punishing you on NC's legendary concrete gap highways. With with my GT criteria, the 3.8 base is very good if you can live without branded brakes/lsd for now. If I was looking for a track version, I would tolerate the R-Spec without the added weight of the Ultimate. I wish they kept a GT version (I know, discontinued... but I might badge it that way, ha!) and make the track variant stripper. If Hyundai would have offered the brakes and diff on the base's "sport" suspension, I would have gone out of my way to overpay. However, I do have some Hawk pads on order. I will upgrade to the Equus brakes, add a stiffer swaybar, and maybe hunt down the LSD later on.

Late evening "touring". Then a photo op on the "boring highway" part.

IMAG1068_zps88b6hfai.jpg

IMAG1062_zpsj4ifvpxp.jpg

Just admit it, wouldn't you feel much more mature and responsible driving a mid-sized anodyne transportation appliance?

Originally Posted By: SHOZ

Nope, open diff. This is my cruiser, MR2 is still my autox car. So, I went with the "base" model. I preferred the base suspension over the R-spec/Ultimate. If you look at any other reviews of the post facelift models, all talk/mention/complain about the stiff ride because they are either r-spec or ultimates. I drove both and would agree that it is much less comfortable. The sport/base suspension is firm enough for the back roads without punishing you on NC's legendary concrete gap highways. With with my GT criteria, the 3.8 base is very good if you can live without branded brakes/lsd for now. If I was looking for a track version, I would tolerate the R-Spec without the added weight of the Ultimate. I wish they kept a GT version (I know, discontinued... but I might badge it that way, ha!) and make the track variant stripper. If Hyundai would have offered the brakes and diff on the base's "sport" suspension, I would have gone out of my way to overpay. However, I do have some Hawk pads on order. I will upgrade to the Equus brakes, add a stiffer swaybar, and maybe hunt down the LSD later on.
Yes I have the track model with the stiffer suspension. I know what you mean.

There are always some Brembos for sale on the various list and facebook pages. Plug and play except for the rear disc dust shield. It needs some surgery to make the bigger rotor work though.

Just admit it, wouldn't you feel much more mature and responsible driving a mid-sized anodyne transportation appliance?

LOL! It's not allowed to be so enjoyable. You must stop romanticizing it...

Yes, if I could find that silver fox-body Ford LTD LX (with the "thriftpower" I6) of my youth with a red vinyl interior...sigh. I would feel so much more "mature" and I would get the "cut".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back