Lost my mind, about to buy Genesis Coupe 3.8

Status
Not open for further replies.
I never heard of anybody looking at coupes when they got a new baby. At the very least, you should be looking a 4-door sedans. Chrysler has a mini van for you on their lot.

The passenger seat back will flip the whole seat forward and then remember where it was when the seat back is set back. Makes getting into the back a bit easier.

2017 is the last year for them for now.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
If you got a new baby, you're supposed to be looking at mini vans.
grin2.gif

Haha. Yeah. Once you breed, everyone one expects you to have a Odyssey with stick-figure family on the back.

I guess I could steal one of the dozen minivans I have here at work but when the state audit happens it would not be happy scenario. I drive minivans more than I should. I kinda like them but they would not be my DD.

Originally Posted By: dparm
Why is everyone recommending cars that cost $50k? Look at the OP's list...clearly trying to keep it at $30k or less. Stop talking about Hellcats, E63, etc.

You can buy those cars used in the 30k range.

If he's buying new, Hyundai has the worst resale value:

http://www.cheatsheet.com/automobiles/do...html/11/?ref=OB

Important when he needs to get rid of it after a few months or after a year or two.

Also Audi doesn't sell their own extended factory warranty, but with Mercedes, you can buy their factory extended warranty up to 7/100k as long as it has some of the 4/50k original warranty left. There's lots of 2014 E350's going for around 30k. And if the OP is worried about safety, that's why most people end up in minvans or SUV's.

All I will say is that with the coupe you and your wife will really have to try and "make it work" with the rear facing child seat in the back.
It's one thing to try it in the showroom and another living with it everyday. Plus once you switch to the front facing seats, kids have the tendency to start kicking the back of the front seat. It's real fun.

Originally Posted By: NateDN10
I'm in roughly the same place as the OP - got kids, but 90% of the trips in my car are to work and back with only me in the car. If we're going somewhere with the kids we take my wife's car. There are times though where my wife needs to go one place and me and one of the kids, another place. And for the first 6 months after our first child was born my wife had a 2-door Accord and we said "Never again." Not worth it for me, even for just 10% of the time.

However, if OP is OK with the contortion, that's his prerogative. And it seems like he's done his research, so why not? It's not like this car is going to be the primary family hauler.

I'm now trying to picture your reaction at dealing with 2 kids in my mother's old cars: VW Beetle, Mustang II Ghia, Hyundai Excel 3-door.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
All I will say is that with the coupe you and your wife will really have to try and "make it work" with the rear facing child seat in the back.
It's one thing to try it in the showroom and another living with it everyday. Plus once you switch to the front facing seats, kids have the tendency to start kicking the back of the front seat. It's real fun.

They do that in a sedan, too.

Originally Posted By: FutureDoc
Yeah, the Genesis Coupe basically just ripped off the G and then gave it a better exterior (IMO). Infiniti uses the better materials but I like most of the GC layout better. Problem is finding a decent manual option. I thought I had one (listed as a manual... then it had the automatic in the picture). Just not willing to carmax one across the country.

The new G37, or whatever it is now, has some bizarre option packages, and with the new engine coming down the pipe, it likely won't get any simpler. The 370Z is better in that regard, and cheaper, but obviously not terribly useful for you, as you already indicated.

The height limitations you mentioned for the Genesis are fairly similar, I'd suggest, for the G37. The sunroof isn't intrusive in the G.

With a kid, i would suggest getting a more sensible car. I think Gen Coupes have some fairly strong depreciation too. If you end up back at a VW lot, check out the Golf Wagon variant. You get a longer wheelbase, S model is cheap, 15" tires, it all adds up to a very comfortable ride. My only beef is that at my height (5'11) a rear facing car seat behind my seat is a tight squeeze.

The great thing, you can haul all your kid stuff with you. Pack and Play, diaper bags, strollers, ect. Kids = you haul ridiculous amounts of stuff with you.

Its still a fun enough car to enjoy driving.

Future doc when you're not even a real doc is even more pathetic.

Listen, son, you're a grown up with responsibilities. A coupe as a family hauler is just plain selfish. Wait until the lil tax deduction is older and you can buy yourself a sports car or other toy for your very own use, and your wife can have the proper car she probably wants now. Right now, think about your wife and child. Make a compromise. Get a sensible sedan, you'll survive.

Originally Posted By: Noey

Listen, son, you're a grown up with responsibilities. A coupe as a family hauler is just plain selfish. Wait until the lil tax deduction is older and you can buy yourself a sports car or other toy for your very own use, and your wife can have the proper car she probably wants now. Right now, think about your wife and child. Make a compromise. Get a sensible sedan, you'll survive.

Just because you are apparently serving time in automotive purgatory doesn't mean that everyone else has to.

Originally Posted By: Noey

I love how the condescension just DRIPS off every word!

Note: I was in high school before my mother had a car with more than 2 doors!

Tangent. Back to the car in a moment.

Doctor - from Latin Docere meaning "to teach". Thus, it is a classical title for a "teacher". Traditionally, there are four classic schools. Law, Medicine, Divinity, and everything else called "Philosophy". Philosophy includes everything from engineering to chemistry - physics to literature. The whole process is very much a medieval quirk and that is why I get to dress up like a Harry Potter character every so often. We even get our own "school" colors. Law is Royal Purple, Medicine is Vivid/Kelly Green, Divinity is Blood Red, and Philosophy is Dark Blue. Those four schools have expanded since 1100s to include education, dentistry etc. However, early on in the US, most colleges avoided European traditions and only really offered an undergraduate degree, maybe a post-graduate semi-masters equivalent. It was not until after the civil war when a Ph.D. was offered in the US and it was not until the 1910 that it became an established route. In contrast, law avoided excessive schooling for a very long time (in an attempt to be more "common man" friendly) and you can still apprentice in some states today to become a lawyer. Law still maintains that tradition as lawyers use the term "Mr/Mrs" rather than the title that other nations might use with a JD degree. Thus, the only professional "Doctorate" degree that existed in the US was a medical degree for 250-300 years. So, in common vernacular, "Doctor" is substituted for the term "physician", kinda like Kleenex or Chapstick is used for a facial tissue or lip balm. It is the most common, term that individuals interact with but the term "Doctor" is a title for educational achievement in association with "teaching" or "professing" role. After the whole process... aka 11 years straight through with undergrad, a professional masters, the PhD...and a post-doc, I want to do something a bit more practical/hands on... I was burnt out with the full-time professor process. Plus the wife wanted out of DC where I was so I had to find something else to do. I am a doctor as I teach on the side but I am not a physician since I do not practice medicine.

Last edited:
FutureDoc,

Do you get annoyed when someone says "you are not a real" doctor ?

I know a woman with a PhD in education and she gets told that all the time.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
FutureDoc,

Do you get annoyed when someone says "you are not a real" doctor ?

I know a woman with a PhD in education and she gets told that all the time.

I guess if you are publicly proclaiming it all the time, then uninformed people might make the comment. I'm married into a family of 3 PhD's and they are only Doctor X in a professional setting, not in their regular activities.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle

I love how the condescension just DRIPS off every word!

Exactly!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back