Long trip, Factory Fill, Hmm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: eljefino
Run it till you get back. Vary your speed and load.

+1 People worry too much about keeping the factory fill in their cars.

Originally Posted By: Bgallagher
Originally Posted By: eljefino
Run it till you get back. Vary your speed and load.

+1 People worry too much about keeping the factory fill in their cars.

yup

Given Hyundais reputation to void the the 10/100 warranty at the slighest excuse if the owners manual says 3000 I would not go 3200.

Originally Posted By: Malo83
3200 round trip on a turbo with factory fill
31.gif
if you have to ask your not a car guy, only sage advice I could give you is dump the FF and go with fresh clean oil and filter, you will be miles ahead!
cheers3.gif

I'm a car guy and changed the oil according to the manufacturer's interval (7.5k) on my car. It has 2 turbos and uses *ghasp* 5w20. In a tank or 2 of gas it will roll over 100k of trouble free miles. Still runs like a scalded cat.

As other have said follow the book and change it when you get back. No harm, no foul and it will make no difference in the life of the vehicle.

Originally Posted By: Gene K
Given Hyundais reputation to void the the 10/100 warranty at the slighest excuse if the owners manual says 3000 I would not go 3200.

I've owned two Hyundais. . . that hasn't been my experience with them. I've had warranty claims and they never even asked me about my maintenance.

Originally Posted By: Robster

I've owned two Hyundais. . . that hasn't been my experience with them. I've had warranty claims and they never even asked me about my maintenance.

You've owned two Hyundai's that had oil related failures under warranty? If that's the case if that was me I'd never buy another Hyundai again ever

Originally Posted By: deven
Originally Posted By: Robster

You've owned two Hyundai's that had oil related failures under warranty? If that's the case if that was me I'd never buy another Hyundai again ever

I've never had an oil-related failure; however, the "urban legend" that surrounds Hyundai's warranty would have you believe that if you had a turn signal fail, they would deny the warranty claim if you couldn't show a record of your oil changes--it just isn't true. They're no different than any other OEM in that regard.

I've worked at new car dealers for decades. I have never seen an engine failure denied under warranty unless the engine was obviously abused - run low on oil and sludged. To think that a dealer would ask you what brand or viscosity of oil you used when denying a claim is laughable.

I say change it when you get back. I didn't change the original oil in my 14 Mustang GT until it had 4,600 miles on it at one year old and I also took an over 2,000 mile vacation trip in it about a month after buying it new.

I think people worry too much about this subject.

Wayne

Update:
I drove out straight to Florida on the night of the 23rd, Getting to florida the afternoon of the 24th.
In ECO I averaged 39MPG, handling was good, uphills were a breeze, the only issue was the road noise in Louisiana on I10/I12 (Bless you folks who drive those roads)
The car did not use a drop of oil on the way there.
Coming back was a bigger trick as I came back on the 30th into the 1st, which turned out to be a 27 hour drive versus a normal 17 hour drive, as I was going through Lafayette at the wrong time, and averaged 20MPH for a few hours on I10/I12 (also had acquired 12 bullfrogs and 3 catfish in my grille, when it rains, it rains in Louisiana)
The water handling was amazing, not sure if its the car or the 18 in Kumho Solus tires that came with the car.
I only averaged 35MPG on the way back, though a lot was stop and go.
Did not use a drop of oil the entire trip, dipstick appears clean with no traces of metals on it.

The gasoline used during the trip was Loves station Premium. the gasoline used while in florida was either Citgo Ethanol Free Regular or Exxon/Mobil Regular Grade
I will be changing factory fill tomorrow,
the car was driven in cruise control with eco on, with occasional eco off sport mode shifting (Steering Paddle shifting, as well as floor shifting)

The only hiccup I had was hard shifting on a high grade hill in N Florida, where the CEL blinked momentarily,
overall, a nice drive with bad moments. Nothing that was the cars fault, more environmental factored.
I now sit at 3465 MI, I feel as the car will last a lot longer than that!

Did you check to see if a code is stored after the CEL momentarily blinked? There's a slim chance there's a stored code even though you don't have a CEL.

Nothing popped up when I stopped at Autozone when I got back, Needed Washer fluid, had them check anyway.

This change tomorrow will be a Synpower 5w30 and Bosch 3312 change, for 4k, after that I will use the Manufacturer 5K interval

Originally Posted By: cmhj
If your plan is too keep it less than 5 years or under 60K miles I'd wait.
What about 6 years and 68,000 miles what then?

Originally Posted By: GumbyJarvis
This change tomorrow will be a Synpower 5w30 and Bosch 3312 change, for 4k, after that I will use the Manufacturer 5K interval
When id doubt change it out. Have a safe trip!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back