Long trip, Factory Fill, Hmm

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have 800 miles on factory fill?!?!?!

I changed the oil in the dealership parking lot after signing the papers.
smile.gif

j/k

Drive it and change it when you get back. I've put 5k on factory fill for each of my vehicles and all went 100k+ and 11+ years (most sold after that).

Whichever you do, use this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GENUINE-OEM-Oil-Filter-10PACK-For-86-14-Hyundai-Accent-Elantra-Sonata-Kia-Optima-/231667260693?fits=Make%3AHyundai&hash=item35f071dd15:g:Ln8AAOSwd0BV30ZF&vxp=mtr

Just for my own curiosity, does it specifically ask for a 5w30?

Also, I too would wait. Highway miles are super easy on cars.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad

This engine specs everything up to 20w50 depending on temp
All it requires is that it's "ACEA A1 SN and preferably QS/ShellHelix"

Originally Posted By: GumbyJarvis
Originally Posted By: dlundblad

This engine specs everything up to 20w50 depending on temp
All it requires is that it's "ACEA A1 SN and preferably QS/ShellHelix"

I do know that the 1.6L Turbo suggests this, the 1.6L NA I'm not sure

Originally Posted By: Dale_Knight
From some older threads here factory fill is likely QS green bottle and this vid shows that Hyundia engineers were comfortable with 50 micron oil filters in 2010;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEfmPFRaoNo

I like your first change choices of oil and filter.

I like your oil choice (if it's on sale)......but I'm no longer a fan of Purolator filters....especially the 'Classic'.

I'd wait. You'll likely be trading it in a few years from now so why sweat it. Running the FF on a low stress trip may actually be beneficial for break-in and ring seating.

Probably too late, but go w/Trav and the change crowd.

Besides the evidence cited, fleet managers who do their homework swear early extra maintenance pays off later. Go to Firestone, Jiffy Lube, etc. and pay $25 for a cheap change in order to get out the break-in contaminants, then change it again in another 1k and then start your normal OCIs.

Unless you don't want to keep the car...

I would keep the factory fill in and enjoy the trip. Change when you get back.
Understand that changing the oil early is an emotional decision, that has no impact on the engine longevity.
The vast majority of vehicles on the road have gone regular factory intervals on factory fill, modern engines are not failing.

We do not change oil early in my work fleet, which is s bunch of fords including turbos that go into oilfield service. we run them to 150k ( after a life of rough mountain and desert oilfield roads loaded to max legal gross weight with tools and equipment.)and auction them off running great but with pretty beat up frames, suspension and weathered bodies.
Your easy trip with factory fill is certainly not worth any anxiety.

3200 round trip on a turbo with factory fill
31.gif
if you have to ask your not a car guy, only sage advice I could give you is dump the FF and go with fresh clean oil and filter, you will be miles ahead!
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted By: Malo83
3200 round trip on a turbo with factory fill
31.gif
if you have to ask your not a car guy, only sage advice I could give you is dump the FF and go with fresh clean oil and filter, you will be miles ahead!
cheers3.gif

Yes, he already went further than I would on a FF. Then vary the speed, keep an eye on the oil level, and enjoy the ride not thinking about if you should have changed the oil or not.
wink.gif

I quit buying new cars some years ago, but then would do the first oil change(always done myself) within a couple hundred miles. I also was one to avoid doing maintenance and then taking right off on a long trip=the Murphy things like oil filter/drain plug leaks-the uninstalled filler cap, and other ect come to mind and a problem. I've known of a few folks of such after leaving Quicky/Rapid for that road trip.

#1. You have a good oil filter to protect the engine against damaging bits. #2. The factory fill probably has additives or at least assembly lubes in the oil to protect against scuffing of new parts. #3. The factory has a recommendation on when to change out the FF. I would not change it but, check the level at each gas fill up. Ed

I'm in the change it crowd, the factory fill is a syn blend, so its not like there is only dino in there to help a break in.

Regardless of when you decide to change it, as one other person noted, use only the factory hyundai/kia oil filter. I think there is a TSB about oil pressure using aftermarket filters. You could maybe get by with an aftermarket, but from what I understand the factory filters are pretty nice, and arent too expensive. I bought 6 for $30 I think ($5 each). Also Hyundai is usually pretty strict about warranty stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back