Factory fill interval

Status
Not open for further replies.
Happy Memorial weekend everyone. It's been a while! New wife, new cars, new hobbies, new location.

The topic of this thread is whether I should take the oil change on my wife's brand new 2018 Toyota Rav4 Limited hybrid into my own hands before we leave for our big trip from Nebraska to Florida. The factory fill is still in the vehicle, we bought it at one mile, it now has 3750 miles. We are not due for an oil change at the dealership until July 20th, but we leave on June 10th. When I called and asked the dealership if they could get us in early they said no.

So my question is, as a somewhat old-school bitoger are there still significant wear metals on the factory fill to where this should be a concern of mine? Is this still a thing of discussion? Or can we wait until we come back and do the oil change at what I'm assuming is going to be about 8,000 miles? My other question is, I probably won't be changing the filter as I don't have an official Toyota filter (and have no desire to face hug the factory off of the spindle). So if I change just the oil and not the filter, will it make a difference?

Thanks in advance, stay cool out there today, it's 100 here.

You are going to get answers both ways. For me personally, I would have changed it outcat around the 1k mark.

I would change it. Even without the oil filter, it will get out the metal dust generated off new engine internal surfaces.
I wonder if they would really void your engine warranty upon sight of a Fram Ultra in place of the inferior Toyoto oil filter? Seems harsh. I don't think thats the way it works.

There will be a significant amount of wear metals, but neither early nor late oil changes have proven to be good or bad for an engine. With that said, I have never allowed the factory fill to go past 2K on any new engine I have owned--therefore, I would change it.

As a side note, unless Toyota is giving you free oil changes for the life of the vehicle, it is against the law for them to void your warranty for using non-Toyota oil and filters.

I would have had that oil out no later than 1500 miles. change it yourself than once every 6 months.

Toyota thinks that the FF can go for a full normal interval of 10K, but they obviously don't know as much as we do here.
Seriously, leave the oil and find other things to worry about.
...or change the oil if you'd feel better doing so. It can't be all that hard.

It will be fine. I would just let the oil ride to The 1year or 10k mark unless it is in severe service. Depends on how long it took to accumulate the first 3700miles. The long highway drive on broken in factory fill is not going to hurt the engine.
I currently have 3200 on my Tacoma factory fill and I am operating it severely in the West Texas oilfield and in 10days it will have 4700to 5000miles on it.
I will change it when my work is done around the 5k mark. The truck works for me. Not the other way.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: PimTac
You are going to get answers both ways. For me personally, I would have changed it outcat around the 1k mark.

+1 Me too or even sooner.
wink.gif

My personal preference is to change after initial break-in, about 1k miles/ 1600km

That said, many vehicles are not changed early and run the full oci on factory full. They seem to do fine.

I have yet to here of a catastrophic failure from running a Full recomended oci with factory fill in a modern engine. I haven’t seen it recomended to change the oil early in any recent owners manuals either. Doesn’t hurt to change it early, doesn’t hurt to leave it in.

Peace of mind crowd -- change it before you go. I dumped my FF on the Jetta in signature at 1700 miles.

Last edited:
First off, I'd find a dealer that actually wanted my business, and was willing to earn it. Telling you "no we won't get your car in" says they don't give a [censored] about your loyalty, because they obviously have none.

Second off, engines and machining these days along with cleaning techniques are so advanced that there really is very little debris and/or "break-in" to deal with. The cylinder finishes are much more refined, along with such thin, low-tension rings there are not very many asperities to begin with to shed their peaks.

That being said, I'd change it before your trip, at another dealer. And I would send a card to the general manager of the dealer that shafted you and thank him that his employees saved you what was certainly a painful relationship with his dealership.
smile.gif

You can change it early or not change it early Won't make any difference.

what dealer can you just not drive into and get an oil change?

second, I went 10k on the factory fill in my gas 2013 rav4. Figured why not, its specified for it. Doesn't use oil, at 65k now. You will be fine either way.

I should clarify, the dealership is offering FREE oil changes for 2 years on the vehicle, but only at schedule d times. I could pay for it if I wanted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back