Care and Feeding of Fairly New GDI ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I sold my '99 Dakota in Sept. and got a 2016 Chevy Colorado 4x4 with the V6 LFX GDI engine. After buying it I found out about the intake valve and ring coking that can take place with GDIs. I am trying choose an oil that will help to mitigate the possible/probable coking problem.

Owners manual says to follow OLM for OCI with a max of 1 year. 7,500 mi. maintenance service calls to check OLM, so I suppose dealer will do a change at 7,500 no matter what the OLM says. Call is for DEXOS1 (or equivalent) 5W-30. Strangely no change in recommended OCI between "Normal" and "Severe" service.

I live in western Washington so pretty temperate. Some low teen temps in the winter and maybe a few days in the 90s in summer. I think I drive pretty moderately, within 5mph of the limit, left my street racing days behind me long ago. On a ramp I do like to be at the speed limit 1/8 mi before merging not 2 or 3 miles down the freeway like a lot of my fellow Washingtonians
crazy.gif

The majority of my driving is short trips 10 mi or less. Some days sitting in traffic or waiting 2 light cycles to get through but mostly moderate traffic and not an inordinate amount of time idling. Summer trips may be longer, still mostly 20 minutes or less. I will occasionally tow a boat just under 4,000 lbs total tow weight. Very rarely tow it over the mountain passes or other mountain highways. Total milage will probably be around 8,000 per year.

To stay with the low volatility to decrease coking I am only considering full synthetic. I dumped the FF at 1200 mi and filled with Valvoline Full Syn with Maxlife only because that is what my local quick change shop uses for full syn. I have been considering the Valvoline Synpower and Pennzoil Platinum. Pennzoil doesn't publish their numbers, but have seen indications that the GTL base stock is almost a good as their advertising hype. Also taking another look at Amsoil SS. Quite a cost differential between Walmart price for PP (and the rebate) and SS. I am not one to throw money to the wind, but the 7.5 NOAK for SS sure looks good for my purpose.

Opinions and advice welcome!

Remember Amsoil SS is not API approved so you might avoid for 'least resistance' during warranty; that being said, I ran 0W-20 SS in my B2300 under warranty. lol

Last edited:
Somebody help me ! why is MaxLife the only high mileage oil people keep putting in low mileage engines?

Mobil 1, Pennzoil Platinum are the two synthetics I rotate back and forth with ...

I would use whatever Dexos approved oil you feel like and stick with the recommended interval while under warranty. Valvoline Maxlife Full Syn is really good stuff.

Pennzoil Platinum 5W30 with OEM filter and 1yr/7500mi OCI would be my choice. For GDI engines, any good synthetic with Dexos 1 and API SN certifications will get the job done.

Originally Posted By: 4WD
Somebody help me ! why is MaxLife the only high mileage oil people keep putting in low mileage engines?

MaxLife is SN/GF-5, and dexos1 where applicable. So, it does make a good choice.

What I have never understood is why - and what is the difference in seal conditioners ? Or seal something?

There is a dichotomy of sorts on this site - those who say HM is strictly marketing - and those that recommend this oil is new stuff. I'd just run VSP (and have) if I wanted to give Valvoline a bone ...

I suppose it depends upon the high mileage oil. I'm not clear, either. I ran MaxLife some years back when the old F-150 was leaking a lot. It worked. I would use 15w-40 in the summer and MaxLife 5w-30 in the winter. When I used those products, I didn't have to add over the OCI, which was my goal. When I tried Mobil Super 2000 HM (our HM blend), which was SM/GF-4, it failed miserably. I was topping up like crazy. So, I don't know if current MaxLife would have been as effective as the MaxLife back then, for that specific problem.

If an oil is SN/GF-5, high mileage or not, it still will have a phosphorus ceiling, it still will have to meet seal compatibility rules, and it will still have lower HTHS. Now, my view had always been that a high mileage oil "should be" thicker, with more ZDDP, and perhaps more seal conditioners, or at least two out of these three options. With an SN/GF-5 oil, they can only bump against the limits. I haven't had the opportunity to even try to fairly compare old MaxLife versus new SN/GF-5 MaxLife, so I really can't say. Technologies have improved, of course, and I'm sure not everything has to be addressed by a high dose of ZDDP and seal swellers or heavy base stocks.

If I were running a new GM and insisted upon using a dexos1 certified oil, but didn't want to be spending too much, I'd certainly be giving MaxLife strong consideration. Pricing has gotten weird up here lately, but that's a different matter, since, theoretically at least, MaxLife should be cheaper than VSP, and should be cheaper than PP and M1 and Castrol Edge and all the synthetic dexos1 options. With it being officially SN/GF-5 and having dexos1, I would happily use it.

As an aside, if I want a thicker oil with enhanced ZDDP, I can just go to an HDEO and save money, since all the HM oils are rushing to SN/GF-5, because there are so few SN/GF-5 oils on the shelf, right?
wink.gif

Good summary - getting my extra HTHS/ZDDP off M1 10w30 HM - but plan on HDEO in that 5.3L next fill ...
It is at a faster seeping rate - no spots on concrete ...

I'm going to stick with rotation of M1 and PP in my GDI pair - I have this alternate chemistry and spread the business stuff (in my head) and can chase the best price that way. (Same I do with gasoline)

We never got the M1 HM until recently, just the blend. Now, I don't even know if we get 10w-30 M1 HM. Canadian Tire has been axing 10w-30 grades for a long time. M1 HM is supposed to be available here, but I gather that the 5w-30 will be the easiest to find. Too many HM oils are chasing SN/GF-5, and there are more than enough SN/GF-5 options.

Interesting discussion. Thanks to all.

I will probably go Dextos "approved" to appease the warranty gods. I did order a few jugs of the full syn Pennzoil Platinum with Pure Plus a couple of days ago when Walmart had it for $19.79 for a 5 qt jug. With the current $2.00 per qt rebate from Pennzoil that's less than two bucks a quart! Got it thinking that I would run it in my wife's '09 Trailblazer if I decide not to put it in the Colorado. Most likely a wash between that Pennzoil and the Valvoline Synpower.... I'm not going to burn up many more brain cells trying to decide between the two.

BTW... It was recommended above to go with OEM filter. It that another warranty thing? I was going to go with WIX 57090XP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back