Summer projects

Status
Not open for further replies.
With this wonderful spring weather rolling through (2-5in of fresh snow) it has me thinking about my summer car projects; most particularly on the Mustang. The two main projects I plan on doing is dropping the trans to replace a contaminated clutch disc and replace the input shaft seal, and also I wanted to repack the trac-lok clutches and replace my 2.73's with 3.73's that have been sitting on the shelf for YEARS.

Not sure if I really want to dedicate THAT much time to car work this summer, especially since I'm sure other issues will come up with this or other vehicles in the fleet. I know I can handle the clutch work, although actually moving the trans in and out of position will be tough since I have minimal help... And I know the trac-lok clutches won't be an issue either but I'm a little hesitant about the gears. Its something I really want to do myself for the experience, especially since I anticipate this car being "extra" during the summer. But of course, its so easy to screw it up.

Figure the clutch work will likely end up spanning 2-3 days and I would anticipate the rear end work taking a little more time then that since I'll need to pop into a shop to have them r&r the pinion bearing. Since the car has higher miles I'm very tempted to do new pinion and carrier bearings while I'm in there, but at the same time my plan is to TRY it with the original shims first and see how it all measures out...

Any thoughts? I've done a lot of reading about rear end work and it definitely looks do-able... just not sure if I *want* to go through that much...

If you are going through all of the trouble to replace the gears and considering it has all those miles on it, I would change out ALL of the bearings and seals at the same time (including the axle bearings). Refill it once with a conventional oil to break it in and then switch to Amsoil Severe Gear and be all set for a few hundred thousand more.

Film your self. Yes this is important.and dont forget to question everything.this car isnt new. Best advice from me?go see fordand ask them the diagram related to the part of the car you want to tackle then ask them if there were recallabout specific Related to the project. If there was verify all the part you got. If it doesnt match the new revised version from ford go get it. In this manner you wont get into trouble and will have a nice enjoyable ride instead of a what the eck is this noise.why is alternator acting up. How come the car wont go forward etc

Back when I did the gear change in my old Mustang I ended up taking it down to the local 4Wheel Parts. I provided the gears and they replaced everything with a new install kit/ bearings for $350. Took an afternoon.

Do your axle right. I have an 8.8" in my F150 with pinion bearing issues and that's way more finicky than bolting a new clutch in.

I have been trying to do multiple projects when its nice out and still work my 40 (more like 50) hour job. Toss in some grass mowing and similar and project time is minimal. And married with kids and grandkids.

So this summer I need to focus on boat and arrange carpenter for house projects.

Originally Posted By: JC1
Do you wanna pay someone to do the work or save big $$$ and do it yourself?

Well, the cost is definitely a factor- but I really would enjoy being able to say I've done a gear install. Of course, DTS is just a 30 minute drive away and I know they do good work (about $350 for an in-car swap).

Well, could you attempt it; and if you fail, just take it to them to finish? They might have to take it apart and replace a few bits, or otherwise charge more than you might expect; but hey, you could say you tried.

Except that I've been told, (but I don't know IF it is the truth or not) that once you drive on a new ring and pinion, for even 10 miles that the pattern is set, and even if it is wrong/noisy, it cannot be reset to correct/quiet without replacing the whole gear set.
21.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back