Lets talk the cost cutting measures in vehicles started years ago.

It can be everything from design to materials.

I'll start with Transaxles. And plenty more on the list.

I remember some folks in the new days of transaxles thinking how nice they and front wheel drive was. I kept saying yeah, just wait till they need a rebuild or replacement. You know all the extra work to R and R them, compared to the conventional design.

Then there is the loss of steering on a slippery surface when punching the gas pedal.

I wish everything wasn't tied together. I.E. Engine module to Body module to Power train module. They all have to "talk" to each other. Please auto makers STOP using plastic stuff on engines!!!!!!!!! It's not "if" it snaps in two. It's "when" it breaks in two. I'm done.......

Transverse FWD transaxles got popular when computers allowed them to fit everything together. I don't think of smart use of space as the bad kind of cost cutting.

How about the Chevette Scooter? They were looking for parts to decontent and settled on the glove box door!

3 speed automatics-could possibly last the life of the car (or cheaply rebuilt)
8 (or motre) speed autos & CVTs-guaranteed to break, BIG BUCK$ to replace, many not rebuildable at all!
Yes when life of 3 speed automatic type vehicle was 100-150k they lasted the life. Now 150k is dead easy and most last into 200k range with some work the transmission fails.

Transverse FWD transaxles got popular when computers allowed them to fit everything together. I don't think of smart use of space as the bad kind of cost cutting.

How about the Chevette Scooter? They were looking for parts to decontent and settled on the glove box door!

Didn't they take the back seat out too? lol

Paint colors. Kindergarten crayon boxes had more.
OE tires/spare tires
plastic fasteners everywhere
thin sheet metal
sparse sound deadening material
designing resulting in unservicable components
This.

You can have white, silver, grey or black. Monochromatic mania.

The pigments for all the other colors cost more. That's why we are here.

3 speed automatics-could possibly last the life of the car (or cheaply rebuilt)
8 (or motre) speed autos & CVTs-guaranteed to break, BIG BUCK$ to replace, many not rebuildable at all!
3-speed automatic: the life of the car 5 salt seasons in New England.

8 speed??? IDK, 500k, 700k?

I despise de-contenting

It's one thing on minor interior luxuries

Removing courtesy/puddle lamps from door panels
Prop rods instead of gas shocks on hood/trunk
No sunglass holder or HomeLink transmitter
Only express down window (instead of up/down)
Only express on the drivers window (should be all express all around)
No more valet/third key included at purchase
Bring back the drivers lower dash vent (but there's a knee airbag there now 😔)
Removal of glove box light

The mechanical side really irritates me

Rear drums instead of discs (I prefer a manual handbrake tho)
No lumbar adjust (my fault for being tall 🙄)
No telescoping steering wheel
No low washer fluid light
No dead pedal
Bring back rear bulb out warning lights (ARE YOU LISTENING HYUNDAI 🗣️👂)
Removal of dipsticks/drain plugs for major mechanical fluids (I checked the fluids on the Grand Prix today BECAUSE I COULD 😤🫡)
"Smart" trunk access (Hyundai/Kia L 🙄), just put the trunk button on the keyfob you cheap bastards 👀

Bring back the spare tire and tool kit, because not every flat should be a tow truck affair
And they still have the audacity 😠 to charge for the can of well wishes (inflator kit)

Both my partners Nissan Kicks and my Chevy Bolt have manual rear view mirrors. While many of my older vehicles had auto-dimming. It’s a bummer as that’s a great feature.
Check eBay for the accessory kit
Or just any Gentex auto dimmer with a pigtail and the correct mount
It's a 2-4 wire install, every vehicle of mine now has one (even the '83)
I loathe the inferior image a manual dimming mirror gives 🙄

Check eBay for the accessory kit
Or just any Gentex auto dimmer with a pigtail and the correct mount
It's a 2-4 wire install, every vehicle of mine now has one (even the '83)
I loathe the inferior image a manual dimming mirror gives 🙄

I might look into it, or I might just tint my windows and then it won’t matter anyway.

Back