Lets talk the cost cutting measures in vehicles started years ago.

My dad had a '90 Accord without a passenger-side mirror..... It boggled my mind that such an omission was still possible at that late date.
I bought a 2000 Saturn SL. The passenger side mirror was one of two options I got, the other being a/c. It was standard on the higher SL trims though.

And on the safety side, ABS/traction control, airbags, rear view cameras, TPMS, and other advancements, standard, even if due to regulatory mandate. Thogo se things still don't come at zero cost.
It has been a while, but to me doesn't seem that long ago when manufacturers confidently stated that absolutely no car buyer wants to pay the extra cost of a driver side air bag.

Yet-vehicles are more reliable than they have even been. The average of of the nations fleet is 12.2 years. So-without reading all the comments-this alone probably makes most of them of very little concern.......

Yet-vehicles are more reliable than they have even been. The average of of the nations fleet is 12.2 years. So-without reading all the comments-this alone probably makes most of them of very little concern.......

Reliability has a lot to do with the owner. If the owner cares to learn about maintenance and how to work around the unreliable bits, most vehicles are great. Others are on borrowed time, a timing belt or blown water pump away from becoming scrap.

Seriously , my 2018 VW Tiguan has been least troublesome in its first 5yrs/150k vs Honda, Acura, Subaru we have had. All of those needed at 3-4 minor repairs .

First VW repair at 151k (ignition wiring harness) albeit pricey because we were outside the extended 8yr/125k warranty on item due to higher failure rate.

Back