Does air go stale?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey!

I was thinking whether or not the air in your tires get stale.

They recommend, what, 8 years max out of tires.......do the two correlate?

Also, maybe this is what the nitrogen industry is trying to counteract.

Joseph

It does. I recommend you change the air in your tires at least twice a year to prevent it from going stale. Make sure you use synthetic air-the molecules are more evenly sized than conventional air and will help maintain the balance of the tire.

spankme2.gif

Little known fact....

A thinner weight air, perhaps a Denver-0W is better for mileage versus a Boston-40W.

Many racers and hyper-milers will have their tires installed at high altitudes for the speed assisting affects of the thinner air when taken back down to lower altitude.

Instead of being a rude [censored], I'll actually give you a useful reply.

No, it does not. The only thing that could happen is the air gets some VOCs or something from the tire evaporated into it, in which case it's nothing that the tire doesn't already have.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
Make sure you use synthetic air-the molecules are more evenly sized than conventional air and will help maintain the balance of the tire.

they call it "nitrogen".

Nitrogen still will leak out over time. And now I put air in there with the nitrogen. Probably a bit of moisture as well.

On a side note, I do open my house windows to air it out on nice fall and spring days. Seems to freshen up the living space. Maybe we should do that to our tires also.

I usually change my stale tire air the same time I change the blinker fluid.About every two years.
banana2.gif

Originally Posted By: Colt
I usually change my stale tire air the same time I change the blinker fluid.About every two years.
banana2.gif

I'm still on my factory fill of blinker fluid.

Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28
I was thinking whether or not the air in your tires get stale.

They recommend, what, 8 years max out of tires.......do the two correlate?

I've seen documentaries movies where the hero was able to breathe due to the air in the tyre...so while not "fresh", the concept of "stale" doesn't work.

Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28
Also, maybe this is what the nitrogen industry is trying to counteract.

Nitrogen industry is trying to improve your mileage by making your wallet $20 lighter for the life of the tyres.

Note to self, if I become an evil genius, and lock the bindesque character in the trunk, I should have tyres filled only with nitrogen (or maybe CO2 or CO)

Originally Posted By: Leo99
Originally Posted By: Colt
banana2.gif

I'm still on my factory fill of blinker fluid.

lol.gif

If it's still clear,it's fine.
laugh.gif

Speaking of nitrogen, what gas do they charge your shocks, and lift struts on you hoods, etc.??? Pretty sure it is not wet air, with oxygen. Why is that???

Originally Posted By: Traction
Speaking of nitrogen, what gas do they charge your shocks, and lift struts on you hoods, etc.??? Pretty sure it is not wet air, with oxygen. Why is that???
Nitrogen gas mixed with shock fluid.

Speaking of blinker fluid, I had to drill a small hole in my blinker case to let out quite a collection of liquid water. Guess I have a leak somewhere. Anyway, I may need to access the blinker bulb and check for corrosion and apply some grease to it.

Dad won a 1960 Ford Rancharo at the 1960 Drag racing nationals in Detroit,(Autolite Award) He used it very little @ 8,000 miles, and and in the 1960's put it up in heated storage to this day, It is all original including the 5 Firestone wide white walls it came with. I believe they are tubeless. We have never added any air throughout all these years. Im not making this up. I bet that is very stale air.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back