Nailed

With now two teen drivers, in older cars, I'm trying to be more proactive and checking vehicles on Sat morning, 'cuz I know they won't.

Couple weeks ago one tire was low. Added air. Today it was low. Guess I should look into that... gee, don't look too hard...
1700320475078.jpg

1700320498379.jpg

1700320519687.jpg

Get this--if I pull it out, it leaks much faster! so I put it back in for now. As Derek would say, "fixed". Or maybe "didn't see that".

That *was* a nearly brand new tire... I think I have 4 bald ones somewhere... car goes into the shop in a couple of weeks for exhaust work, I guess I can ask for another new tire (I don't get the warranty, I might lose a tire every every 10 years, doesn't make economic sense for me). Halfway tempted to pull it, slap some rubber cement on it, shove it back in, and use as my daily, giving my daughter my newer car. BUT given how it's picked up some new body work, courtesy of the oh-so-great high school parking lot, I don't think so. Maybe it's just time to swap on the 7 year old snow tires instead.

Two teen drivers who won't check their vehicles?

It's time for some some, "What is this world / these kids coming to?" boiler plate. (jk)
I think I can get my daughter to do more, although she is typically go-go-go all day (literally getting home between 7 and 9 pm during the week; this weekend it was past 10 and all through the weekend too). Son, I could try but he can’t life the hood and it’s too hard to bend over to check tire pressure (physical disability).

Actually my daughter might not be able to lift the hood on the Camry… not sure what Toyota made that out of, depleted uranium?

I think I can get my daughter to do more, although she is typically go-go-go all day (literally getting home between 7 and 9 pm during the week; this weekend it was past 10 and all through the weekend too). Son, I could try but he can’t life the hood and it’s too hard to bend over to check tire pressure (physical disability).

Actually my daughter might not be able to lift the hood on the Camry… not sure what Toyota made that out of, depleted uranium?
They make those hood strut kits for almost everything now if you look and want to spend a couple dollars.

Thread on Toyota Nation. https://www.toyotanation.com/threads/1999-camry-hood-gas-struts.1709378/

Throw one of the snow tires on for now.
I'd have to throw on two, different size (leftovers from the wrecked '11 Camry). Actually I'm not sure about that, this car does have ABS, so I'd have to think it wisest to have same size on all 4 corners?

Actually, there is snow in the forecast for the week, which means school will likely be canceled... but she doesn't drive that much, so it's not like it'd chew up the tires too fast.

Just watch comments or other about hood reinforcement area.
Yeah, I did see that in the next linked thread, so that gives me pause. I should check first to see if the daughter can reach that high, lol, she's not much over 5' tall. [I've wondered about trading with her on the basis of safety, she's barely a foot away from the steering wheel, as it's not telescoping, and then there's the lack of side airbags on top of that. I think I like my old car more than my new car, so that clouds things a bit. That and I didn't mind it leaking oil the garage, cardboard took care of that--but the slow drip on my asphalt driveway bugs me.]

My 2000 Camry, now my brother's, has factory hood struts

Tis the season apparently...

upPChQ6.jpg

Soon as I hit it I could hear it roll around, not even a mile from work. Spare tire has been on the Tacoma since Wednesday, but only driven on it once. Looks pretty ghetto on the truck sitting in the driveway...

Same here, came out of the store on Thursday afternoon and saw this in the passenger side rear on my truck. E-rated truck tires are a PITA to plug, but got it done. Well over one hundred miles and no issues.

Attachments

• 030DB83A-B2A1-4EB5-B96D-2C65A4B4173B.jpeg
    030DB83A-B2A1-4EB5-B96D-2C65A4B4173B.jpeg
    232.2 KB · Views: 8
Back