Mobil 0W40 vs Castrol 0W40

Status
Not open for further replies.
We had some "good" ones, in that they were serviceable and did the job. Of course, one had to follow directions, and you know how things went. Pennzoil (or Castrol or Quaker State or whatever the old wives' tale said) caused sludge, and of course everyone changed at 3,000 miles without fail.
wink.gif
It was always the oil's fault. The only thing good in the good old days was that conventional was cheaper than it is now. Synthetic hasn't increased nearly as much, and in some cases has dropped.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: Tigerbangs
FYI, WalMart has a sale on Castrol Edge 0W40 in five quart jugs for $22.97 each

Must be a regional thing. I looked at my local WM yesterday, and it was at $26-ish.

I purchased two jugs from Amazon for $22.97 each and free 2-day shipping with my Prime membership. I just received the oil today.

Last edited:
Hi,
SR5 I learnt in the 1950s that HDEOs from the Majors with certification endorsements via Mil, CAT and DB and Porsche (HDs in Germany) were the best and most consistent products. This was confirmed when I worked for Chevron in Denmark during the 1960s

ACEA sped things up regarding standards as had certain US Heavy Diesel engine OEMs with the API in the 1970s-early 1980s. Just as DB had done a decade or so earlier with their "named" lubricant Lists

There were very good products (M1 is an example) and some very poor products too - they can remain nameless!!

Named Brand lubricants today that carry the appropriate certifications are truly great products when used as intended

Hi Doug,

Yes I knew very little about oils many years ago, and I didn't always make the best decisions. I've read a lot of your old posts about HDEOs and Garak has answered many more of my questions about HDEOs in recent times.

I now realize that I had the good stuff sitting right in front of my eyes, but I just never recognize it for what it was.

Now days I'm more of a name brand ACEA A3/B4 sort of guy. People like Shannow, OverKill, QuattroPete and a few others have helped educate and refine my taste there. I now see almost too much good oil on the shelves.

To be honest, I am amazed by both the willingness to share and the stamina of this group on BITOG. Day after day they answer question after question. Often a slight variation of the same question that was asked last week, but by a new person. With grace ( mostly) they answer it again.

I have learnt much here, in a short amount of time. It's a true community service.

Originally Posted By: tarwebok
I can not find the Pennzoil Platinum 5w-30 here in Colorado, but I would like to try it.

The one you want to find is pennzoil platinum euro 5w40.

Originally Posted By: tarwebok
I have been using Castrol 0w-40 in my BMW E46. I can not find the Pennzoil Platinum 5w-30 here in Colorado, but I would like to try it.

What is wrong with Castrol? 0W40 is going to work better in Colorado winter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back