Tire recommendation for a 2013 Mazda Miata MX5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: edyvw
Originally Posted By: Jimzz
I just helped a customer of mine with the same2 choices below...

1: Cooper Zeon RS3-A
http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct...d=17&cs=205
Great handling and rain tire. Also works ok in light snow.
Little shorter life than the 2nd choice below.

2: Goodyear Eagle Sport All Season
Great all season and decent snow tire. Should last a little longer than the cooper above. Has a $40 rebate right now.
Little softer on handling and traction than the cooper but still good.

I have the RS3-A on my CTS as I wanted as much dry traction and handling as I could get but I also do not drive it much so the little less life span is ok for me. So the goodyears may work better for what he wants.

There will be a rebate at DTD later this week. I think it will be around $75 off when you buy

I think point in your post is: you do not drive as much.
I was admirer of GY winter tires when I lived in Europe. Moved to US, of course, bought GY tires, Eagle. After 10K two tires out of balance. Well, changed car, got Dunlop's (same [censored] different package), same issues. They warrant tires, give me another set of GY Eagle, again, balance issues.
That was 2010, after thet not touching GY with remote control, not to mention to put on a car.
The sad fact of the matter is that Goodyear can and does build some very good tires, but not many of them can be bought over the counter in the US. They may call them "premium tires" here but they wouldn't sell many of the type for Autobahn use.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Originally Posted By: edyvw
Originally Posted By: Jimzz
I just helped a customer of mine with the same2 choices below...

1: Cooper Zeon RS3-A
Great handling and rain tire. Also works ok in light snow.
Little shorter life than the 2nd choice below.

2: Goodyear Eagle Sport All Season
Great all season and decent snow tire. Should last a little longer than the cooper above. Has a $40 rebate right now.
Little softer on handling and traction than the cooper but still good.

I have the RS3-A on my CTS as I wanted as much dry traction and handling as I could get but I also do not drive it much so the little less life span is ok for me. So the goodyears may work better for what he wants.

There will be a rebate at DTD later this week. I think it will be around $75 off when you buy

I think point in your post is: you do not drive as much.
I was admirer of GY winter tires when I lived in Europe. Moved to US, of course, bought GY tires, Eagle. After 10K two tires out of balance. Well, changed car, got Dunlop's (same [censored] different package), same issues. They warrant tires, give me another set of GY Eagle, again, balance issues.
That was 2010, after thet not touching GY with remote control, not to mention to put on a car.
The sad fact of the matter is that Goodyear can and does build some very good tires, but not many of them can be bought over the counter in the US. They may call them "premium tires" here but they wouldn't sell many of the type for Autobahn use.

Agree, I think their philosophy is: we can get away with it on the U.S market, so why doing it any differently.
When I saw new winter tire GY UG9 that is available in Europe, I was like: W T F? Where is that here?

Originally Posted By: Noey
Why would someone want "quiet and comfortable" on a Miata?

Because when you drive that many miles every day, it is nice to have a "quiet and comfortable" tire. You don't want to fell every bump in the road. You also need to remember how small those cars are. There isn't a lot of car there to mask sounds coming from outside. So, if you need to answer the phone, or talk to your passenger, or listen to music, you don't want to have to do that over the sound of tires on the road. This really goes for most cars that see commuter miles. I know that Miatas are supposed to be a "drivers car", but sometimes you want to cruise on the highway without hearing the road all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back