Filled DEF Tank For First Time Today

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only thing that happens is the water evaps off.
When I was working for my former employer, we were just moving the construction equipment we were building to T4F and AdBlue. It had a 2.5 gallon DEF tank and we only were putting in a gallon.
Reason being is that it might sit in our yard for a month or two before being sold and they had a way of adding distilled water back to "reconstitute" it.
Thats what I was told, at least.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Also, I know you would never do this, but some people have. If for some reason you get DEF in the diesel tank, or vice versa, DON'T TURN THE KEY. You can get away with draining either tank as long as the pumps don't get turned on.

We have had more than a few customers put the fluids in the wrong hole, including fleets an municipalities.

And where would all of this waste mixture be disposed of? I dont see how you could properly dispose of such a thing. I rallied around the whole town here in Mississippi trying to get someone to accept a new can of 134a. No dice! Is there a responsible way to get rid of contaminated fuels?

$4,000. Ouch! That could possibly negate the entire positive effect that going diesel and outlaying the truck with a DEF system.

Is there really a point to having a diesel in an 'around town' pickup? I could see someone hauling livestock or something 50,000 miles or more a year coast to coast and of course the need for it on tractor/trailers, but on a consumer level.....isnt it just a hassle to 'register a race bike for the street?'

Is anyone out there disabling or cheating these systems like some of us did back in the day by sawing off the cats?

Like mentioned, can you use water, used beer or a mixture of the two since that is apparently what it is? Tis sad intentionally mixing purified water with urea, if urea is what I think it is.

Or are today's vehicle so computer controlled that it would render the vehicle into limp mode, or a nostart, or use onstar to tell the EPA where to send the patty wagon?

Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28
And where would all of this waste mixture be disposed of? I dont see how you could properly dispose of such a thing. I rallied around the whole town here in Mississippi trying to get someone to accept a new can of 134a. No dice! Is there a responsible way to get rid of contaminated fuels?

$4,000. Ouch! That could possibly negate the entire positive effect that going diesel and outlaying the truck with a DEF system.

Is there really a point to having a diesel in an 'around town' pickup? I could see someone hauling livestock or something 50,000 miles or more a year coast to coast and of course the need for it on tractor/trailers, but on a consumer level.....isnt it just a hassle to 'register a race bike for the street?'

There are companies that pick up the contaminated mixtures. Usually in the $20-100/gal range for disposal.

As far as an around town truck, not really. But all the cool kids got them once Supras stopped being cool. That being said, I really want a CC/SB 6.0L Powerstroke. I would love a 6.7, but I am currently attached to all my body parts and don't have a first born to sacrifice to Henry Ford yet.

Is anyone out there disabling or cheating these systems like some of us did back in the day by sawing off the cats?

Like mentioned, can you use water, used beer or a mixture of the two since that is apparently what it is? Tis sad intentionally mixing purified water with urea, if urea is what I think it is.

Or are today's vehicle so computer controlled that it would render the vehicle into limp mode, or a nostart, or use onstar to tell the EPA where to send the patty wagon?

Yes they are. No saw-z-all required, they make bolt in straight pipes. The Borla ones sound awesome.

As far as the water thing, probably not sure. Never looked into it. But I am sure someone had tried it.

Gas in the tank will also destroy the fuel system. $10k later and you will feel like you just left the Proctologist office.

Also, I know you would never do this, but some people have. If for some reason you get DEF in the diesel tank, or vice versa, DON'T TURN THE KEY. You can get away with draining either tank as long as the pumps don't get turned on.

We have had more than a few customers put the fluids in the wrong hole, including fleets an municipalities.

That's probably why BMW and VW/Audi use proprietary DEF fills - and of course they want you to buy their bottle.

I suppose you could just put distilled water in the tank without the urea, and everything would seemingly work normal.

You would be a dieselgate all by yourself though...

Originally Posted By: Nate1979
^^^^^At least on GM's this will set a code for poor DEF quality and can go into limp mode.
Fairly certain that Ford will do the same--not sure about Dodge.

Originally Posted By: nthach

That's probably why BMW and VW/Audi use proprietary DEF fills - and of course they want you to buy their bottle.

It's just a Kruse bottle. Nothing special.

Originally Posted By: Nate1979
^^^^^At least on GM's this will set a code for poor DEF quality and can go into limp mode.

I would hope so, but that means they're monitoring NOx output?

I see where the SuperTech is Ansi certified but there is nothing on the label saying it's ISO 22241. Is it still OK to use in a 2013 Chevy Duramax?

One thing solidly learned from heavy commercial trucks, you go running just water, or anything else in the SCR systems and you are going to be at best, in derate mode, or at worse, sitting stationary somewhere. The sensors are very precise that the mixture be 32.5% Urea and 67.5% deionized water according to ISO 22241 specifications. Tap water, distilled water, etc will not work. I would run no DEF that doesn't specifically meet the ISO standard, or at least says it does.

Have to side with the truck stop pump purchase method. Those places go thru hundreds of gallons of that stuff a day. The quality is closely monitored, and is fresh. And almost always cheaper than jugs of stuff that have been sitting around for who knows how long. Another alternative is filling from bulk DEF at major commercial truck dealer ships. The Mack Trucks dealership near me is currently at $1.89 a gallon for the stuff and they go thru 275 gallon totes frequently.

Originally Posted By: Texdan
I see where the SuperTech is Ansi certified but there is nothing on the label saying it's ISO 22241. Is it still OK to use in a 2013 Chevy Duramax?

Anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back