Best 75w90 for the money?

Looking to buy some 75w90 for a Ford 8.8 with a clutch style limited slip. In the years past I've used all kinds of cheap stuff, supertech, stp, valvoline white bottle, valvoline synpower (I don't consider that one cheap quality but the price sure went up the past few years) etc. I noticed the Triax 75w90 in a gallon on Amazon for a good price, seen several threads on people asking about it without anyone really saying anything about it that's actually used it. I've got about 11,000 miles on this axle after 2.73 to 3.27 re gear and posi install and want to change out the supertech 80w90 conventional I put in it for break in. Looking to keep it somewhat cost effective, what are yall's recommendations? I'm interested in buying 1 gallon container up to a 5 gallon pail.

When it comes to gear lubes, I take this list as a top priority. This is a performance based system of licenses; not a content based one. These lubes have to meet specific performance criteria in use, not in the bottle.

use the link on that page under "documents" called the PRI-QPL (qualified product list). Column E has the product name we'd recognize.

Any of those lubes would be well suited for harsh work. Many of them are dino lubes believe it or not.

I'm sure you could find a lube that is decently priced and available easily.

When it comes to gear lubes, I take this list as a top priority. This is a performance based system of licenses; not a content based one. These lubes have to meet specific performance criteria in use, not in the bottle.

use the link on that page under "documents" called the PRI-QPL (qualified product list). Column E has the product name we'd recognize.

Any of those lubes would be well suited for harsh work. Many of them are dino lubes believe it or not.

woot Valvoline is on there

The Supertech at Walmart is probably rebottled M1, Valvoline or other major supplier. Can't go wrong there for the price. Toss in a bottle of Ford LSD additive and you're golden.

For limited slip? Well, Valvoline 75W-90 has the limited slip additive already blended in, it's on the PRI list, and it is available just about everywhere.

The Supertech at Walmart is probably rebottled M1, Valvoline or other major supplier.
How does that work?

Last edited by a moderator:
I have used both Valvoline and M1 in my diffs for years just because its available. Last purchase was the Valvoline in the flex fill package, and that is so much easier to get in my diffs I think its worth the extra. I saved the empty's in case I have to refill.

Supertech 75-90 must be newish - first I heard they had it. Have seen 80w-90 but not the synthetic 75w-90. I presume its also a Warren Oil product like their engine oil https://www.warrenoil.com/us/products/driveline/#1616598386558-57657ade-19a1

I'm using the ST 75w-90 syn in my F250 diffs (electronic locking rear and front). No issues.

For a long time, the ST fluids were from Mag1, and met the J2360 spec. I cannot say if that's true now, as WM often changes it's suppliers regionally.

For limited slip? Well, Valvoline 75W-90 has the limited slip additive already blended in, it's on the PRI list, and it is available just about everywhere.

How does that work?
I rebuilt a Ford 9" with 3.70 gear and a Yukon dura grip clutch style posi unit. I put Valvoline synpower 75w90 in it with a full bottle of the friction modifier the axle kit came with and like 2000 miles later I still get clutch chatter backing out of the driveway if I don't drive it every day especially in the winter. It said on the bottle for use with limited slip. Must be for use with a worn out limited slip unit LOL

Looking to buy some 75w90 for a Ford 8.8 with a clutch style limited slip. In the years past I've used all kinds of cheap stuff, supertech, stp, valvoline white bottle, valvoline synpower (I don't consider that one cheap quality but the price sure went up the past few years) etc. I noticed the Triax 75w90 in a gallon on Amazon for a good price, seen several threads on people asking about it without anyone really saying anything about it that's actually used it. I've got about 11,000 miles on this axle after 2.73 to 3.27 re gear and posi install and want to change out the supertech 80w90 conventional I put in it for break in. Looking to keep it somewhat cost effective, what are yall's recommendations? I'm interested in buying 1 gallon container up to a 5 gallon pail.
Here’s some extra data:

I rebuilt a Ford 9" with 3.70 gear and a Yukon dura grip clutch style posi unit. I put Valvoline synpower 75w90 in it with a full bottle of the friction modifier the axle kit came with and like 2000 miles later I still get clutch chatter backing out of the driveway if I don't drive it every day especially in the winter. It said on the bottle for use with limited slip. Must be for use with a worn out limited slip unit LOL
  • Red Line 75W-90 - no need to add any friction modifier, this is loaded
  • AMSOIL Severe Gear 75W-90 - get yourself an additional bottle of AMSOIL 4oz Slip Lock, or maybe two, depending on how much extra you need. AMSOIL uses the bare minimum friction modifier in their gear oil so that customers can use it in more applications.
  • @High Performance Lubricants - Differential Life 75W-90 - this one is a Group III + PAO mix with plenty of high quality friction modifier added into the blend. It's made with a revolutionary new additive package (modern formulation) and has virtually no smell to it. This oil is used in racing by teams such as Swindell Motorsports. It will also lower your differential temperature by up to 25F.
    You can order it here: https://hplu.be/hpl-diff-life
    Main website: hplubricants.com

check mystik web site,,farm&fleet,(wisconsin) has 75w-90 full synthetic bottles jt-7 for $8.29,,gl 4&5,,maybe a retailer in your area has it ,made by citgo,,looks like some good gear type oil and decent specs.have used it in past with no problems.

Back