Do I need any diesel or oil additives for BMW 535d

In reviewing the paperwork I got from the seller of my 2016 BMW 535d, which shows everything done by the local BMW dealer in June '23, I noticed a couple of interesting things. The dealer used a diesel oil conditioner and a diesel fuel system cleaner during the service, or at least the paperwork says they did. Nothing on the paperwork seems to have a valid part number for either additive. So my question is: Do I need to add ANYTHING to my oil when I change it, or to my fuel when I fill up? Or is this just something BMW does to pad their bottom line?

Side note: BMW charged the previous owner $146!!!! to add DEF (Adblue). What the ****!!! ECS sells 2.5 gallon jugs of DEF for $30, and Walmart has it for even less. Looking over the service invoice from the previous owner makes me angry. I will never, never, not ever pay BMW one penny to service my car, unless it needs something that only they can do (hopefully NEVER). Even then I'll try to find a way around it. The previous owner even pre-paid for 3 years of oil changes that would transfer to me, but I'm still not taking it to them. Bunch of crooks.

IMO, find an oil that meets the spec of your car and run only that. No need for fuel system treatments either. I run Howe's to prevent gelling in the winter but being in Alabama I doubt you will need that. The winter fuel will be more than enough.

Just my $0.02

Does BMW run the dealership? Dealers make money on service, not sales IIRC.
Just to clarify, my gripes are with the dealer, not BMW. This dealer's service department is notorious for bleeding customers for every cent they can. But I guess that doesn't exactly make them unique. Anyway, I still won't be doing business with their service dept.

Last edited:
Oil that is approved. Vital for the DPF!
Make sure to keep the oil separator system/PCV up to snuff. That's where oil consumption and sludge start if clogged or not fully functional.
I'm not up on whether BMW says stay away from biodiesel if you can, MB does say no more than 5% in DPF equipped vehicles.
You may find using a cetane booster fuel additive will make the engine a tad quieter.
I have the notorious MB OM642, not quite the same, but aside from the bajillions of miles of successful users, a few reports of problems got them labeled trouble and crapola. I imagine the same for the BMW diesels from reading the BMW forums for my X3 gasser.
Don't listen to anyone who tells you to use a CK-4 oil just like his pickemup truck. Too much ash. That will kill the DPF.
And lastly, ignore advice from anyone who doesn't own a German diesel car equipped with DPF!!!

I would also run a fuel additive. The m57 BMWs (and many other diesels) can have injection pump failures, and a good lubricating additive can help prevent those failures. Ashless 2t oil (tcw3) is the cheapest oil you can put in your fuel, and it's supposed to not plug catalytic converters

Run BMW LL04 oil! Pennzoil Platinum Euro L 5W30 is going for $26 in Wal Mart for 5qt. Numerous other options including Mobil1 ESP 5W30 in Auto Zone and AAP as well as online. But it must be LL04!!!
I ran Peak DEF from Wal Mart in my X5 35d. Some owners at that time were reporting that DEF warning would show with SuperTech DEF.

I would also run a fuel additive. The m57 BMWs (and many other diesels) can have injection pump failures, and a good lubricating additive can help prevent those failures. Ashless 2t oil (tcw3) is the cheapest oil you can put in your fuel, and it's supposed to not plug catalytic converters
tcw3 will not harm your catalytic converter but it will plug your DPF.

No need to add anything, but make sure you change the fuel filter regularly and inspect it for water. There should be none, however if you see some, there are additives to emulsify it into the fuel so that it doesn’t cause damage.
If you see a lot of water, you have a big problem.
Noted. I get fuel at the BP truck stop so the fuel supply should always be fresh. Not a 100% guarantee I couldn't get fuel with water in it, but it's about the best way I know to mitigate the risk.

No additives should be needed if you are buying water free diesel fuel and using motor oil that meets BMW diesel specs.

A tip. Get a Scangauge 3. It will add the instruments that BMW left out, especially monitoring DPF regeneration and exhaust temperatures.

While it might be decent thing, he needs specific BMW OBD reader.
ProTool is basically INPA (BMW software) translated to “common “ language. He can, not only activate for example folding mirrors when locked, or windows going down when unlocked etc, but he can manipulate e.diff and other serious settings.
I disable bunch of na nannies when tracking vehicle, something that really, really good universal OBD’s can’t do:

OP, best is to have physical connection. Buy K-DCAN cable from Bimmergeeks (best available) and get cheap Android tablet to download ProTool from Google Play. It will turn out cheaper than decent universal OBD, but far exceeding anything but ISTA, which is BMW software. Also available for download, for free to PC, but there is learning curve.

Back