Lugnut 101 Class

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got to working on these babies last night. Snapped them off with a 3/4" breaker bar, pounded them out with 2 lb sledge and sprayed the holes with wd-40. I then inserted the new lug studs by pushing through the hole in the back and then slid an oversized nut out over the threaded part of the lug stud. I then started a lug nut and tightened against the oversized nut to pull the lug stud through the hole.

They make it look easy on you-tube but I had to really crank hard with the 3/4" breaker bar to pull the lug stud through the hole. New lug nuts I used got hot and I think I stretched the threads on them. I was able to turn them off but plan to get new lug nuts. Didn't seem to hurt the threads on the studs as I was able to screw old nuts on with fingers. The new ones that got hot I could start but would get tight quickly. So I am getting there!

The new ones got hot from rubbing against that oversized nut you used as a spacer. I use a stud puller when doing this but a series of washers works good to lower friction. Puttng nuts on with an air gun isnt bad just dont let it hammer. I have a nice set of torque sticks i dont know how they compare to the HF set except they are probably made in a different sweat shop. Torque wrench is aways the best the torque them again in a day or three.

Where I worked, we were all provided with torque sticks. However, I had one of the most powerful impact guns that Ingersoll Rand made, and the torque stick wouldn't stop my gun at the proper time. I had to just get the lugs barely snug, then use a torque wrench the rest of the way.

I have heard some people suggest using an OTC 6297 Ball Joint tool, and use it as a way of pressing studs into a wheel hub from behind.

Originally Posted By: wolfehunter
So I have been rotating my own tires on my vehicles for 20+ years without incident. For many years I removed lug nuts with a breaker bar and socket. About 4 years ago I purchased an Ingersol-Rand air impact gun and it has made the job a little easier........until yesterday.

Actually, about 6 months ago I was rotating tires on my truck and one of the lug nuts started to come loose (maybe two turns) and locked up. So I tried to retighten and wouldn't budge. I got the 3/4" breaker bar and ended up snapping off the stud. Rotated tires and just tightened the other 5 lug nuts.....called it good.

I dunno if I'm reading that right. If I am, seems people are either being surprisingly polite, or they missed it.

It sounds like you're saying you continued to use a vehicle with a broken wheel stud.

If that is the case, you should not have "called it good" You should have "called it f***ed", and you should have fixed it.

I'm often accused, with some justice, of a casual attitude to vehicle safety, but that's a line I wouldn't consider crossing, unless it was a dire emergency.

As a more general point, call me un-American, but I don't get this fixation with gadgets. I see impact wrenches treated as absolutely essential on here.

I also see ratchets used routinely when a breaker bar would be more appropriate, and torque wrenches used all the time when a bit of gumption would be more appropriate.

I also see, fairly regularly, descriptions of "technically assisted breakages" where, for example, someone got a duff gadget, or the wrong setting, and didn't realise they were stripping a thread, or had cross-threaded a part.

I don't get it.

Hand tools have more feel, they stop you breaking things, they are more durable, and you don't have to keep re-charging the bloody things.

Maybe sometimes the inertia of a rotating part means it doesn't have to be clamped when used with a powertool, and sure, for a pro mechanic, time is money, but an amateur is, to some extent, doing it for fun, and probably not doing it on a daily basis.

What's the rush?

Last edited:
I'm a little old school, no impact wrench hooked to my air compressor. I do have a handful of decades under my belt changing and rotating wheels.

I use the hand tools, it may sound like blasphemy, but I hardly ever use a tourque wrench with wheels. Maybe just a time or two to 'calibrate' the arm. I'll also take a bit of spray grease over rust on the studs.

The only time I've ever had any issues is when a dealership gets involved for some reason. I guess to tight is better than not tight enough. No, I've not lost a wheel or stripped one yet.

I dont use an impact at all, but I had my tires re-balanced and rotated at a place where they do use them. One of my lugs is starting to get deformed.

My Jeep uses the acorn style with the chrome cap so that especially makes me stay away from impacts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back