Light weight floor jack to carry in vehicle?

Been looking at some profile floor jacks and see some of these weigh over 100 pounds. Do they make good quality light weight floor jacks that won't throw out my back? It doesn't really need to be some 4000 pound unit, just a smaller one to keep in the back seat. I already keep a 2ft breaker bar and a universal lug nut socket

Definitely something aluminum. I've been using this 33 lb "racing" jack for over a decade now:
I have since upgraded to a long reach jack in the shop, but it weighs 103 lbs:
If the racing jack is too low, this one only weighs 4.5 lbs more: https://www.harborfreight.com/autom...-racing-floor-jack-with-rapid-pump-64542.html

Many years ago I got stuck in the desert with a buddy who had only an exhaust jack in his vehicle. As it turned out to his great surprise, with the engine having broken down* the jack was useless. No more trips with that gasbag.

*the alternator bracket had broken or fallen off his MR2

Last edited:
No less safe than a factory scissor jack.
Maybe, but every scissor jack I own has a wider footprint than most bottle jacks, and a much wider body/frame mounting surface than almost any bottle jack.

Another consideration is that It's almost impossible for a reasonably made scissor jack to strip its threads under load, while a bottle jack can blow a seal/gasket when it's under load.

Most scissor jacks are lighter and much lower profile too. I dare you to get even the lowest profile bottle jack under car when it's got a flat tire.

Cheers

As always you need to know the minimum height, and the max lift height you need, and in the case of trying to get something light weight, what the minimum ton rating is that you're comfortable with.

An aluminum floor jack is nice to have, but unless you plan on getting a lot of flats on the road, and if you can live with ~13" lift height, then I'd look into a basic trolley jack. They can be had for around $40 and weigh about 20 lbs. Example:

That's just the low end of trolley jacks, spend more get more, including being heavier.

Last edited:
An aluminum floor jack is nice to have, but unless you plan on getting a lot of flats on the road, and if you can live with ~13" lift height, then I'd look into a basic trolley jack. They can be had for around $40 and weigh about 20 lbs.

Actually, these are much better as long as they meet OP's needs. The aluminium jacks I linked are far from compact or portable. Sometimes I forget more basic tools exist and are adequate

As always you need to know the minimum height, and the max lift height you need, and in the case of trying to get something light weight, what the minimum ton rating is that you're comfortable with.

An aluminum floor jack is nice to have, but unless you plan on getting a lot of flats on the road, and if you can live with ~13" lift height, then I'd look into a basic trolley jack. They can be had for around $40 and weigh about 20 lbs. Example:

That's just the low end of trolley jacks, spend more get more, including being heavier.

Man, I'd entertain the thought of buying this $39.97 HUSKY 2-TON from HomeDepot and I don't even need another floor jack. :love:

Been looking at some profile floor jacks and see some of these weigh over 100 pounds. Do they make good quality light weight floor jacks that won't throw out my back? It doesn't really need to be some 4000 pound unit, just a smaller one to keep in the back seat. I already keep a 2ft breaker bar and a universal lug nut socket
If you don't have anything, go to your local junkyard and buy what a similiar model to yours has from the factory.. You can then store it in its intended space, chances are you will never use it. . It's been over 25 years since I used a jack on the road to change a tire and hopefully you will never have to use one.

Man, I'd entertain the thought of buying this $39.97 HUSKY 2-TON from HomeDepot and I don't even need another floor jack. :love:
I have one that looks identical to that Husky (sans grab handle). My grandmother gave it to me for Christmas in......1995? Somewhere thereabouts. That thing has changed more tires, put more cars on jackstands, and is still my only floor jack to this day. It does seep a tiny bit of oil that I had to finally break down and add some to it a few years back. I still use it to jack up one side of a car at a time to rotate tires.

Agreed with the HF 1.5T

And in the trunk, preferably secured. I thought my sedan was pretty hard to roll over, but my daughter proved me wrong. Its hard to secure “everything” in a vehicle but the recommendation is easier for me to make now.

Not good. Something as solid as a floor jack should not be inside the passenger compartment of a vehicle. It would be lethal in a roll over. Make sure you tie it down appropriately.
Good information above. Heavy stuff in the cab is no bueno.

Maybe, but every scissor jack I own has a wider footprint than most bottle jacks, and a much wider body/frame mounting surface than almost any bottle jack.

Another consideration is that It's almost impossible for a reasonably made scissor jack to strip its threads under load, while a bottle jack can blow a seal/gasket when it's under load.

Most scissor jacks are lighter and much lower profile too. I dare you to get even the lowest profile bottle jack under car when it's got a flat tire.

Cheers
I carry a 10T bottle jack in my Jeep along with an oak/pine base I made to place under it. The day it won’t fit under a Rubicon - I will reach for my HiLift … (carry a Kevlar choker) …
The scissor jack that came with it is a sad little joke …
When I went looking for something better - found an AC Delco scissor slightly better that I have used to rotate tires … It takes and even larger block of wood to not over stroke …
I have several floor jacks 1.5T to 4T …

Good information above. Heavy stuff in the cab is no bueno.

You are daggone on right……

A heavy metal object weighting 18 or 25 or 35 pounds etc etc etc…. Can easily cause severe damage to a persons head. Or kill them.

I have had my portable 2.5 ton jack in my cars trunk for well over 14 years.

Back