Light weight floor jack to carry in vehicle?

Yep HF 1.5T and a chunk of cribbing -- something like hardwood 4x4" or thereabouts. Can be short like 6" length or less

Yep HF 1.5T and a chunk of cribbing -- something like hardwood 4x4" or thereabouts. Can be short like 6" length or less

This ^^^^^^^^ as well.

I use a piece of 6 by 6 and a 4 by 4 inch pieces of salt treated pieces of wood for this purpose.

I bought two torin big red 2.5 ton floor jacks. Comes with a case and only weighs 26 pounds. One for each truck

I carry a 10T bottle jack in my Jeep along with an oak/pine base I made to place under it. The day it won’t fit under a Rubicon - I will reach for my HiLift … (carry a Kevlar choker) …
The scissor jack that came with it is a sad little joke …
When I went looking for something better - found an AC Delco scissor slightly better that I have used to rotate tires … It takes and even larger block of wood to not over stroke …
I have several floor jacks 1.5T to 4T …
Key word here, "Jeep". OP didn't say "Jeep".

I got the one with the carrying case so all the parts would stick together and I could tuck it under the seat or something. Now I'm all set to assist damsels in distress 😂
Yep - And their boyfriends unfortunately LoL …
My jack is in the hatch with a cooler over that - it’s strapped down

So the scissor jack that came with our recent Subaru vehicles fits to put the vehicle weight on both sides of the pinch weld. Not on the actual pinch weld. The adapters I have seen for a pinch weld are not deep enough and will put weight on the pinch weld itself.

So if you are going to jack in the area of the pinch weld the factory jack is the best.

Obviously my comment applies to recent Subaru vehicles. Other vehiclds may be different.

I bought two torin big red 2.5 ton floor jacks. Comes with a case and only weighs 26 pounds. One for each truck
I have two Big Reds - 3 ton and 4 ton - an unexpected job came up and my really old one needed a seal - bought the 4T and put the old 3T at the road - gone in an hour 😵‍💫

So the scissor jack that came with our recent Subaru vehicles fits to put the vehicle weight on both sides of the pinch weld. Not on the actual pinch weld. The adapters I have seen for a pinch weld are not deep enough and will put weight on the pinch weld itself.

So if you are going to jack in the area of the pinch weld the factory jack is the best.

Obviously my comment applies to recent Subaru vehicles. Other vehiclds may be different.
Our Lexus is another good example where the OEM jack works well - but the owner’s manual also shows where you can line up a floor jack
(Not the same spot)

Make /mod better adapter with deeper slot?

Make /mod better adapter with deeper slot?
If I am on the side of the road I would use the factory jack. Maybe a piece of 2x6 would help to provide a stable base depending where I got a flat. At home I would use a floor jack under one of the listed jacking points for the vehicle which are different than where the factory jack goes.

I will say a shop lifting the vehicle with their lift will probably lift on the pinch weld. If not rusted they should hold.

Yep - And their boyfriends unfortunately LoL …
My jack is in the hatch with a cooler over that - it’s strapped down
Some girl threw a fit on facebook about how nobody stopped to help her in a fast food parking lot and that reminded me to get a good floor jack which I've been meaning to do for about 6 months. Also, usually, if they don't have a bf, they have a "guy friend" to help her. Realistically, I bought them to help myself if I get a flat. I also got a 2ft breaker bar and a universal lug nut socket, so now if I wanted to help one out, I could. I usually don't bother helping because every car has the jack in a different spot or it's missing, spare is flat also. I would just end up looking stupid. Now the only thing that would stop me is if she didn't have the lug nut key

Reactions: 4WD
Some girl threw a fit on facebook about how nobody stopped to help her in a fast food parking lot. Usually if they don't have a bf they have a "guy friend" to help her. Realistically I bought them to help myself if I get a flat. I also get a 2ft breaker bar and a universal lug nut socket, so now if I wanted to help one out I could. I usually don't bother because every car has the jack in a different spot or it's missing, spare is flat also. I would just end up looking stupid.
I tend to reserve my charity rescues to my small town - or to a 22 mile long peninsula of sand where I have what it takes - and take enough protection with me to feel OK helping strangers …
Unfortunately I don’t feel like that in the big cities …

I tend to reserve my charity rescues to my small town - or to a 22 mile long peninsula of sand where I have what it takes - and take enough protection with me to feel OK helping strangers …
Unfortunately I don’t feel like that in the big cities …
I would think you're okay in a fast food restuarant parking lot where she was.

Reactions: 4WD
Some girl threw a fit on facebook about how nobody stopped to help her in a fast food parking lot and that reminded me to get a good floor jack which I've been meaning to do for about 6 months. Also, usually, if they don't have a bf, they have a "guy friend" to help her. Realistically, I bought them to help myself if I get a flat. I also got a 2ft breaker bar and a universal lug nut socket, so now if I wanted to help one out, I could. I usually don't bother helping because every car has the jack in a different spot or it's missing, spare is flat also. I would just end up looking stupid. Now the only thing that would stop me is if she didn't have the lug nut key
Toss the girl a can of Fix-A-Flat and say "have a blessed day."

If the heights work, I too would say the HF 1.5 ton jack. I’m not the biggest HF fan, but that jack is best in its class by far in terms of lift capability, weight, and cost.

I have a heavy harbor freight 3 ton. Great in the garage, horrible to pick up and put in the back of the truck. If I was to do it again I'd happily have spent the extra 50 bucks for the lightweight 2 ton. I recently acquired a used 2 ton that's 54 lbs. Still 20lbs heavier than the aluminum but I can pick it up fairly easily, and to change one tire on my F150, 2 tons is more than adequate IRL.

Edit: looking online there is a 1.5 ton version for 99 bucks. Stupid me paid a hundred bucks for the heavier 2 ton used. I'm about to post the 2 ton for 125 on offer up. Anyone in the Charlotte NC area is welcome to it for a much better deal, PM me. 30 bucks cheaper than the store. With my back, 20lbs lighter is a godsend. 2 ton is practically new.

It may not be ok to post this EDIT here, if not, I understand and apologize.

Last edited:
Reactions: D60
Back