2018 F150 rear pinion seal install question

vehicle in question has a Ford 9.75 rear axle.

Replaced pinion seal, and flange due to leakage and a small wear scar on the flange. Marked the nut to pinion with 2 different color markers, but upon tightening of the nut I couldn’t get the nut to line up with the marks. They are about 1/4 inch off on the “ loose side” from being spot on.

Used a medium strength Dewalt 1/2”battery impact to tighten the nut. Stopped as soon as the gun started hammering for fear of crushing the sleeve further. Backlash feels fine when turning the flange by hand. I put the gun on the nut one more time to see if it would turn for just a second, but it started hammering immediately so I stopped.

I counted the threads before hand and there were 2 exposed before and after the repair. I’ve done 4 or 5 of these in the past and never had an issue getting the marks to line up, and I’ve always tightened the nut just a hair more past the marks.

Anyone ever see that happen before? I know you are supposed to measure rotational torque, but I don’t think many people do it that way for a simple seal replacement.

I remember when doing mine, I had to impact on it a while to get the marks lined up.

Counting threads exposed is a rough measurement. The marks are the fine adjustment. That last 1/4" probably isn't noticeable in thread count but is for the preload.

Hmmm. Possibly because you replaced the flange the threads showing are different because of the machining of the flange.
I usually will do a rotational torque measurement before I take it apart (with the prop shaft, wheels and brakes removed for accuracy).
Most pinion bearings alone spin at 15-30 inch pounds (without the ring gear installed) for a new bearing. Use you judgement from there and go a little further.

What’s weird is the last 5 of these seals I’ve done on 9.75’s and super 8.8’s ( they use the same seal and flange) I used the same impact for all these jobs, my truck included, and never had a problem to get that mark lined up plus a little bit more. I installed new flanges on all these trucks as well just because.

The truck in question I would have to unquestionably use a large breaker bar to get that nut to turn a bit more. It’s clear that it’s right up against the crush sleeve currently.

One other thing as well… before I removed the nut the first time I moved the flange side to side just to get a feel for it. Felt a bit sloppy then what I was expecting. Even with the nut just short of the marks on install. The backlash definitely felt tighter.

You’re probably good to go, I’m assuming you used OE flange and nut but with supplier changes being the norm these days its probably a bit different. Check it with a torque wrench, 100-125 pounds, if it doesn’t move send it.

What year of these were an issue? My 98 F150 has a Sterling 9.75 rear and an 8.8 front and I've never had any leaks in 200k.

You’re probably good to go, I’m assuming you used OE flange and nut but with supplier changes being the norm these days its probably a bit different. Check it with a torque wrench, 100-125 pounds, if it doesn’t move send it.

The flange, and seal were OE but I reused the nut because it had the paint marks on it. I’m thinking it’s probably fine.
What year of these were an issue? My 98 F150 has a Sterling 9.75 rear and an 8.8 front and I've never had any leaks in 200k.

The 18-20’s seems to leak a lot! A coworkers 2020 started leaking before 15k. I replaced my 2019 at 40k. The truck in question belongs to a good friend of mine, and his only has 35k on it.

I've always marked the yoke to the pinion shaft and the nut to the yoke. Turn the nut 1/8" past your marked line. Never had a problem. Was taught this by a old school Master mechanic.

Back