Stabil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've had a bottle of marine/blue Stabil, maybe 2 years. Today when I went to add some to a few jugs of gas, it seem really dark, darker than I remember. Almost like black used motor oil. Seems a little thicker than I remember to.
Mostly used for generator stored fuel, motorcycle if not ridding for awhile.
Have kept the bottle in the garage. Gets hot during the summer, we get triple digit temps here.
? - Is it okay or bad?
There is maybe 1/4 bottle left. Guess I didn't pay much attention last few times I used some.
Feel like I should get a new bottle (going to want some more soon anyway), but if this is bad, maybe a little to tank fills for the vehicle just to get rid of it?

I use marine stabil, for the most part. Have used Seafoam with great success, also. Anyways, currently keep my spare gasoline containers with the marine stabil. If I went to use it and it was an obvious different color than before I would dump and replace. I think stabil notes a 5 year shelf life?

I use the marine stabil and the bottle notes a 2 year shelf life from opening. Might be time to get a new bottle.

all sta-bil products come with 2 yr shelf life after it's opened (exposed to atmospheric oxygen).

It may turn darker as a result of further oxidation to it's ingredients.

Originally Posted By: Quest
all sta-bil products come with 2 yr shelf life after it's opened (exposed to atmospheric oxygen).

It may turn darker as a result of further oxidation to it's ingredients.

I always noticed the red stabil didn't do much good if anything made things worse. Had it in a mercury 3.3hp outboard motor that always had the carb gunked up after a couple months of not using. Had red stabil in it. Finally sold it after tearing the carb apart and cleaning 3 times. POS.

Thanks for the replies - I checked again (better lighting) and its black alright. I'm not going to whats left in the bottle. Better not take the chance.

from the gold eagle web site they say:

WHAT IS THE SHELF LIFE OF STA-BIL® FUEL STABILIZER?
The shelf life of all STA-BIL® brand products is 2 years after the bottle has been opened, provided it has been tightly capped and stored in a cool, dry place. If the product has not yet been opened, you should use the color of the fluid as an indicator. If the product is still bright red, it is fine to use. If the product has turned to a very dark red (or brown) color, we recommend purchasing a new bottle. It will not harm anything if you use an old bottle of STA-BIL® brand, it just may not be as effective.

http://www.goldeagle.com/brands/sta-bil-faqs

The manufacturer can't print a date that it doesn't know. It's pretty clear that Stabil is good for 2 years after opening. I wrote the date on the bottle, in the allotted location, per the instructions on the bottle. Once that dates comes up, it goes in the trash.

because i'd never make it through a bottle of stabil, i use redline si-1 which also says it'll help stabilize fuel. the rest goes into the vehicles as cleanup, so you won't have opened bottles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back