Oil for towing hemi??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello I have a 2008 Dodge Ram power wagon with 59000 miles on it . Owned since new change the oil twice a year around 3000 miles . Used amsoil 0w20 till 20k never burned any but didn't tow. Then switched to pennzoil ultra and started to tow and burn a quart every 3k . For the last year I have used Napa syn 5w30 but it burns a quart every 1200 miles or sooner . No leaks at all . Pcv is new . I'm not light on the pedal when towing . Pulling a 20 foot boat weighs around 5k. Thinking about rottela 5w40? Any ideas ? Thanks

Have you considered a 0W-30 or 0W-20 in the cold winter and 5W-40 in the summer when you're apt to tow more often?

The SRT Hemis seem to do well with 0-40. That might be a good choice for you.

Check your PCV hoses to see if your engine is ingesting oil rather than burning it through the rings.

I'm using 0w-40 in my charger. Hemi and mds. If yours is a 2500 you don't have mds.
Either way you can use an hdeo if you like. Personally I prefer 0w-40,the euro flavour. I run 10000 mile intervals.

Originally Posted By: donnyj08
Switch back to the Amsoil?? They have a great 0w30 that you could change just once a year.

Did you read the post. He's trying to lessen consumption while towing. He's used a 30 grade but consumption continues.

Originally Posted By: RISUPERCREWMAN
When towing use a 5W-30 according to manual.

Did you read the post.

Do you know anyone using 0w-40 in a new Ford 3500 6.2L gasser?
I only ask as I have several 4 cylinder cars and got a deal on German Castrol 0w-40. I figure in the V8 it would be fine but my cars are all 0w-20 rated?
Thanks!

The base stocks in those other oils may not be up to the task.
That maybe the issue instead of the 30WT??

I w also ran 5w30 valoline syn with the same results. Motor seems sound no smoking or anything plenty of power.

Try a different brand. Pennzoil platinum had twice the consumption rate of other brands.

Castro edge has been 1qt/4000 to 1/2qt/3000 vs 1qt/2000 with the platinum.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
Originally Posted By: donnyj08
Switch back to the Amsoil?? They have a great 0w30 that you could change just once a year.

Did you read the post. He's trying to lessen consumption while towing. He's used a 30 grade but consumption continues.

Originally Posted By: RISUPERCREWMAN
When towing use a 5W-30 according to manual.

Did you read the post.

I did. He said he had no consumption running amsoil.. When reading his post it reads as if consumption started when he switched to the 30wt oil. My 0w30 suggestion was because it appears he wants a 30wt while towing. Personally I'd go back with the 20wt amsoil.

OP if you experienced no consumption with Amsoil 0w20 you could certainly use that while towing. SS 5w20 has and HTHS of 2.8 so it is a "thick" 5w20. The 0w20 has and HTHS of 2.7. Since the recommended oil is 5w20 I'd use that in the SS for the whole year. No need to change it out at 3k miles.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back