Craftsman 917276906 54" Deck 26HP Kolher Engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Honda2003
I don't believe its the belt because it work fine for 30 min then go downhill from there. It will climb a tree for the first 30 min or so of use then it will barley pull out of its tracks on level ground.

I've seen belts work perfect when cold but slip when hot. Is the hydrostatic pump belt driven or attached to the engine shaft? If its belt driven you need to replace the belt before you do anything else.

Also, pulleys do wear out and need replaced from time to time.

Edit: Looking at the diagram, it looks like an electric clutch is possibly attached to the bottom of the engine. Another thing that could possibly need replaced if the belt doesnt fix the problem.

I honestly have no idea bubbatime. I'm gonna have to check it out when my back heals up. I'm actually thinking about slapping this motor on my 42" Pouland pro and be done with it. Because this 54 inch deck is no good for my grounds anyway. The pouland mower is good but the briggs engine finally gave up after 10yrs. It had a 18.5 on it so this 26Kolher will be a hoss on it.

Unless the belt is slipping... then likely is either low on fluid and/or worn out (pump/motor) inside. Belt is cheap way to find out before tearing open the transaxle.

Last edited:
Could be low on fluid, slipping belt, worn pulleys, worn/slipping electrical clutch, worn out pump in need of rebuild/replace.

Find which one of those is the culprit and your problem is solved.

Or, just mow 30 minutes at a time
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: bubbatime

Or, just mow 30 minutes at a time
wink.gif

Mow, stop for a tasty libation then mow some more! Thats a good excuse to give the wife for the beer and the break!!

10.gif

HAHA spasm3 I like the way you think. On a side note I spoke with the guy the mower came from this evining. He said he just got a new belt put on the mower the week before he gave it away. His yard is big but flat and he said he could mow for 2hrs before it would act up. He let it set for 30 min then he could mow for 2 more hrs. Will I weigh 100 more lbs than he does and its hilly around here. So I will get under this thing when I can and see if I can find anything out.

Hi,
Your tractor has a Tuff-Torq model K46 hydrostatic transaxle. It is the lightest duty transmission in their lineup and is designed to mow grass and very light towing on fairly level terrain. They can handle a snow blower as they do push very hard in general. The unit is rated for 160 ft. lbs. of torque continuous duty and 270 ft. lbs. intermittently. For comparison, their K72 unit is rated for 300 ft. lbs. continuous and 470 ft. lbs. intermittently. In a horsepower rating, the K46 is rated for about 3.5 hp to the rear wheels including gear reduction (22:1). If your unit is not moving after warming up, it is junk and must be replaced or rebuilt. Although they state that the unit is "sealed for life", the oil can be changed by simply removing the unit from the tractor, removing the vent plug and tipping it over to drain the old 10w30 conventional oil and replacing it with Tuff-Torq recommended 15w-50 Mobil one full synthetic. This procedure, done every 100 hours, will greatly extend the life of the unit as well as slightly increasing its load rating via the higher viscosity. Those transmissions like to have a Cst viscosity of 20 to 45 and to never exceed 180 degrees.

You have limited options at this point. You can call Tuff-Torq and order a rebuild kit for 400 dollars and rebuild the unit, purchase a new replacement unit (they can be found on eBay for around 500.00), and lastly, purchasing a used unit on eBay and have faith in the buyers protection. Other than those options, you can sell the unit for parts and expect to get around 250 dollars for it or simply scrap it and purchase another tractor.

I hope this helps in moving forward.

The Sears part number is
Riding Lawn Mower Transaxle
Part #: 405384

that is good to know that this one has a vent. it would be nice if one could wiggle a suction hose all the way to the bottom and suction out the old fluid and then add the new one in through the vent. if the back cover of the tractor is removable like mine, this is a possibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back