John Deere JX75

JHZR2

Staff member
Perhaps I’ve gotten a bug…. Or at least a stopgap.

We were driving home from the beach yesterday and I found a JX75 that looked pretty good. Starts first pull, good paint, only minor deck pitting (though there are three tiny holes). Kawasaki engine with pressurized oil system (no filter though I think I can add one).

I decided to get it and bring it home. It starts up great, blade clutch works, but is missing a spring (which is included in a plastic bag). It mows well. Blade was very sharp, propulsion works fine (I usually don’t use it), etc.

It does need some work. The paint on the top of the handle isn’t great, the spring loaded release on the blade clutch bail doesn’t work (blade clutch releases immediately if I manually pull the bail up).

IMG_8285.jpeg
IMG_8287.jpeg

The one thing that it needs, which I’ve never done before, is some carburetor work. And maybe some throttle cable adjustment.

It will start from cold first pull. No problems. When the blade clutch is engaged, it goes perfectly, takes the load, and runs. It will generally run indefinitely at that point. But if I disengage the clutch, then re-engage it, it will bog down and either stall or just be unrecoverable.

See here:

So essentially, leave it alone and it will run for the most part indefinitely. I did get it to stall once when mowing tilted on a hill, but the fuel tank is low, fwiw.

So, what should my steps be? I’ve never messed with these small engines much besides servicing them. Spark plug, air filter, and fuel filter seem fine though the tank does have a bit of junk in it.

IMG_8302.jpeg

I’m thinking I need to service the carb. What parts?

IMG_8318.jpeg

The deck is pretty clean underneath, but I pulled one old plug of grasss and saw some pitting.

IMG_8313.jpeg
IMG_8298.jpeg

Note the silver specs in the grass lump. So I want to clean the deck underneath to then plug the small holes and paint everything. What’s my best bet for this aluminum? Pressure washer? Plastic scraper? Obviously where I patch I’ll need to wire brush or get to real metal.

What else?

The mower rear wheels have zerks. I assume it uses JD polyurea grease; any thoughts on if schaeffers 238/273/219 are ok? I have no way to know what was actually in these. And i also don’t know if pumping new in will actually flush out the old.

IMG_8299.jpeg

Needs new tires I guess, but the propulsion works up my steep short hill area so they’re not holding it back. It is heavy compared to my craftsman flathead. It can be felt. It’s heavy enough that mowing across the hill isn’t possible because it will slide down, which the lighter craftsman wouldn’t. But going straight up and down with propulsion is a nice assist.

So… where to start? What are your recommendations?

It will be a fun project (time waster ai don’t need but anyway…) until I find a permanent mower (or maybe this is it?).

Thanks!

Last edited:
Those are awesome mowers. For the carb issue I would take it apart and spray through all the jets with carb cleaner, and replace the needle valve and carb bowl gasket. It would be a good idea to disconnect that tank and flush out the junk in it too.

Those are awesome mowers. For the carb issue I would take it apart and spray through all the jets with carb cleaner, and replace the needle valve and carb bowl gasket. It would be a good idea to disconnect that tank and flush out the junk in it too.
So 16035 and 11009A on this picture?

IMG_8318.jpeg

I’ve never serviced a carb before so knowing what to buy is half the battle! Thanks!

49121 main jet. ( if i remember right this one is threaded in )
i think 92064 is a jet as well .
I have a je75 and i haven't pulled the carb apart in years but i think these are your jets.
also had some berrymans b12 to the gas will help with some clean up.

Last edited:
Before taking anything apart, I would start with a fresh tank of gas laced with a belt of B-12 Chem-Tool. If it runs, let it run until warm.. I was told to only give the zerks one pump on the drive wheels of my Toro. Too much messes up the freewheel :cool:

I used to think this was some kind of snake oil, magic elixir, but it actually works quite well to clean up deposits in carburetor internals on OPE. I believe it is very similar to Berryman's B12 Chem Tool and SeaFoam cleaners. It is currently on seasonal clearance at most WalMarts.

1694475073943.jpg

I used to think this was some kind of snake oil, magic elixir, but it actually works quite well to clean up deposits in carburetor internals on OPE. I believe it is very similar to Berryman's B12 Chem Tool and SeaFoam cleaners. It is currently on seasonal clearance at most WalMarts.
the ones around me were all out of VP racing anything but those were 2 or 3$ depending on location
its out with the OPE stuff "lawn and garden"

but for a more bitog question.. what oil are you going to run in it..

I currently am using this in my jd316.
image_2023-09-11_193852849.png
just changed it today from the 5w40 there is no filter and it looked like it was cleaning pretty good.
I sold most of the motul @firesale price to a good home ;) @Sam_Julier

but was left with 3 straggler cans that were extremely dented and free from amazon.
next year will be the 15w50 😆

I wouldnt dare use it in the other 316 but this one at my house has a fresh engine.. doesnt leak or use a drop.

Last edited:
Note the silver specs in the grass lump. So I want to clean the deck underneath to then plug the small holes and paint everything. What’s my best bet for this aluminum? Pressure washer? Plastic scraper? Obviously where I patch I’ll need to wire brush or get to real metal.

What else?
What's your plan for patching the deck?

While i do the same in regards to painting. It really does not matter. Everything i have tried wears off in a few mows. Paint, epoxy paint, bedliner spray. I even tried a graphite paint coating that i thought would work, nope.

The only thing i have not tried is flexseal lol.

I got a JD similar to that years ago off of a pile that was going to the trash collector. Started on the first or second pull. The guy just plain didn't want it. Used it for several years.
I don't understand some people.

the ones around me were all out of VP racing anything but those were 2 or 3$ depending on location
its out with the OPE stuff "lawn and garden"

but for a more bitog question.. what oil are you going to run in it..

I currently am using this in my jd316.
View attachment 178058
just changed it today from the 5w40 there is no filter and it looked like it was cleaning pretty good.
I sold most of the motul @firesale price to a good home ;) @Sam_Julier

but was left with 3 straggler cans that were extremely dented and free from amazon.
next year will be the 15w50 😆

I wouldnt dare use it in the other 316 but this one at my house has a fresh engine.. doesnt leak or use a drop.
Delo 15w-30. I have a few gallons of it.

What's your plan for patching the deck?

While i do the same in regards to painting. It really does not matter. Everything i have tried wears off in a few mows. Paint, epoxy paint, bedliner spray. I even tried a graphite paint coating that i thought would work, nope.

The only thing i have not tried is flexseal lol.
My plan is to get to bright metal and apply classic JB weld. I’ve heard of a few long lasting repairs doing this, some with a metal patch, but the holes in mine are small enough that I don’t think it’s needed.

Carriage bolts, round end inside the deck, has crossed my mind too. But I think that’s a bit too much and will look funky.

I know paint doesn’t last great, but it does something. My craftsman mower has gotten CRC 6-36, fluid film, or Ace Rust Stop paint on various years and it has signs of use but not a spot of rust.

On this one I’ll try the JB Weld, then do Ace Rust Stop self etching primer and their John Deere Green rust stop paint. It’s the underside of a lower so it will be fine. Probably not that hard of paint but it will cover something. I’ll probably top it with non-aerosol fluid film which is much tackier and more tenacious. But that will require the paint to be totally dry.

Great find!
I’ve got an old J Deere 14PT Tricycler from the late ‘80s that I’m convinced will outlive me.
It’s a push mower with no issues other than regular oil, air filter & spark plugs. Still on orig wheels.
With a Gator blade, it’s a monster on the Fall leaves.
Keep us posted on your progress.

Back