Help me choose an oil! - Cub Cadet Riding Mower (Kohler KT745 26HP Twin)

Hi All,

What oil would you run in this? It will see hot summer days and it will see regular use running a front mount snowblower, cold starts as low as -25 or -30C. Would like one oil to use year round.

Mower is a Cub Cadet XT2 GX54 D with a Kohler KT745 26hp twin.

These are Kohler's recommendations. It's an interesting chart to say the least, especially with their 300 Hour 10w-50 scheme. I have no intentions of going anywhere near that long between service.

kohler KT745 26HP V Twin.jpg

I use 15w-40 in mine but it almost never runs in temps below 70f. But if you'll be using it in the winter get any 0/5w-30/40. If you have regular 5w-30 on hand that's fine, no small engine needs anything spectacular to last long enough for something else to make you junk it. These will last decades as long as it gets an oil change every <200 hours and doesn't have any defect or bad engineering.

dad's is an older version with a 20Hp Kohler, calls for 10w30, we run whatever 10w30 i have on hand from clearance sales... currently either regular old VWB, or QSGB, with an FL-910s

Im guessing you live in Ontario which gets as cold as -30 C - +30 C . ( Wide Range ) . From the chart it says Kohler 10w50 will work in your location . I dont understand how a 5w30 is only good between - 20 C --- + 32 C

Last edited:
Shorter OCIs for dusty environment applications.
I dont understand how a 5w30 is only good between - 20 --- + 32
I noticed that too.
I would give it a shot of zinc additive.
Generally speaking is it a good idea to have zinc additive in all air cooled engine oil?
I've a 40+ year old gas lawn mower. Is zinced oil warranted there? Seriously asking.

I noticed that too.

Generally speaking is it a good idea to have zinc additive in all air cooled engine oil?
I've a 40+ year old gas lawn mower. Is zinced oil warranted there? Seriously asking.
Almost every small engine oil I see advertises they are fortified with extra zinc.

I use Mobil 1 5w/30 in everything but thinking maybe you would be better off with a 0w/30 for the low temps.

I noticed that too.

I would be interested in knowing this as well... zinc for the cam? Overhead valve and flat tappet cam in the Kohlers?

I like the idea of a 0W-40 for year round use. I doubt it would see more than 50 hours a year so dumping a summer fill for a winter fill isn't ideal.

0W-40 Mobil 1 FS ? How would that do for flat tappet cam? I think those formulations have no moly, is that true?

I think you guys are right with the zinc...! Does Rotella T6 5w-40 still have zinc? I'd run that becuase it's cheap and everywhere

If you really want to go over the top, @High Performance Lubricants blended up some Small Engine oil for me, and I think has made some additional weights available as well. I got Small Engine 10w40 for my Kawasaki FRV731. And since it’s only 3 quarts, the price difference to shelf stock is not that much of a sticker shock!

I guess I should look into how easy HPL is to get. Not sure about shipping costs to Canada, potential duties etc... it's a lot of hassle potentially to get that stuff. Has anyone else gotten HPL in Canada?

Back