Low fat vs. Regular milk, big difference?

Status
Not open for further replies.
my Mom and I never liked milk. She used to say "milk is for baby cows"....lol. Seriously, of course whole milk has way more fat than 2%, like one poster said, 75% more. That said, seems they are re-writing the whole "fat is bad" thing now days. However, the fat they now recommend is supposed to come from olives and some other plant sources. Milk fat belongs in the category with Porterhouse steak fat, and if I am going to choose, its going to come from a steak rather than a glass of milk.

Why y'all drinkin milk, ya calves or somethin??!!

Almond milk: make your own, WAY better and deeelish! Very simple to make, tons of YouTube Vids on it. Add some dates to sweeten.

All the nutritional info you've heard over the last 30-40 years is junk/crony science. Replacing natural foods with stuff only made in labs and factories is simply to make huge corps, politicians, beaurocrats, and big pharma money.

Mom fed us 2% milk when we were growing up.
I switched to 1% many years ago, and can't really tell a difference.
Skim milk is just no good. Can't mix Hershey's syrup in it worth a hoot. Apparently Hershey's needs fat globules to latch onto.

Last edited:
I agree with skim milk being borderline inedible. 1% and 2% are more or less interchangable and what I drink when I drink it, which is not often. But whole milk is like god's tears on cereal and when eating cookies!

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
Mom fed us 2% milk when we were growing up.
I switched to 1% many years ago, and can't really tell a difference.
Skim milk is just no good. Can't mix Hershey's syrup in it worth a hoot. Apparently Hershey's needs fat globules to latch onto.

I wish the different milk bottlers would all keep the same colors. The 1% I usually buy is in a blue labeled jug. Grabbed a blue jug from WalMart the other day and is was fat free. Couldn't hardly get the cat to even drink it.

I've transitioned to the "alternate" milks in recent years over any of the low fat dairy options. Eliminating a lot of dairy from my diet was a good thing for me.

Almond milk probably has the lowest nutritional profile of these milks in comparison to cashew and flax milk, for example. The consistency can also make a difference when you use these milks in a recipe. Cashew milk is downright creamy compared to almond milk which usually acts like water if you try to make a dessert with it.

You pay more for cashew/flax/coconut/hemp milk in the store but it's worth it on those counts.

I deliver milk to schools. They're not allowed to give the kids anything higher than 1%. However, they can give them chocolate milk that's loaded with sugar, because it's skim milk. That makes a lot of sense. By far, most of the kids drink the chocolate milk. The cases are loaded in the truck 7 rows across. I usually have 5 rows of chocolate, 1 row of skim, and 1 row of 1%.

I have become accustomed to the taste of 2% milk since youth. In my opinion, 2% milk has the best taste, as whole milk tastes thick and heavy. 1% and Skim both taste like plastic or cheese.

As to milk, I have been buying the organic-labeled at Walmart, though I am about to try another: Fairlife. The label should speak for itself.

14363762036060-fairlife-milk-taste-test-2-15296-1423521471-17_dblbig.jpg

Now.. in some quick research, it seems this milk is brought to us by Coca Cola. Almost an automatic disqualification.

HOWEVER.. In this article I happened upon, 2% milk has - TASTE!

So.. I may try.

http://billklar.com/we-tried-coca-colas-new-premium-milk-so-you-dont-have-to/

Quote:
10. But Fairlife 2% was a surprise winner! Three out of five people liked it better than regular 2%.

enhanced-17946-1423498902-21.jpg

If it tastes nasty then I will just go back to regular.

Also. One final note: I no longer actually drink milk. It only goes in cereals. This is of note to me.

I used to drink Nesquik to make it taste better, but I have been exploring other options, as milk is still good for us, but it may be outdated for the adult body as an exclusive drink. Kids should drink lots and lots and lots of milk.

We should be drinking lots of WATER..

Originally Posted By: SHOZ
Originally Posted By: ARB1977
Haven't had milk since my wife got us started on almond milk two years ago.

The say there is hardly no almonds in almond milk.

I've was raised on 2% due to my Mother's concerns about my weight as a child. I now drink about 2 gallons a week of 1%. Even 2% now taste rich to me now.

Muscle Milk contains no milk.

Just sayin'....

Originally Posted By: InfmousCornholio
But Fairlife 2% was a surprise winner! Three out of five people liked it better than regular 2%.

I've tried it. It's one of those super duper pasteurized at 4 million degrees milks that is good for like three months instead of 2 weeks. it was gross. Wife hated it. Kids wouldn't drink it.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
But Fairlife 2% was a surprise winner! Three out of five people liked it better than regular 2%.

I've tried it. It's one of those super duper pasteurized at 4 million degrees milks that is good for like three months instead of 2 weeks. it was gross. Wife hated it. Kids wouldn't drink it.

Well, in that case I will "shelve"
smile.gif
my curiosity of a "super drink" (in this case, some kind of better than anything else milk) and just buy normal now.

Still getting the Naked juice though, "Green Machine." Naked Juice 64 oz Walmart $7.87 BEST STUFF FOR YOU

k2-_d6990fad-7c77-4785-a42e-371caadcf1ac.v3.jpg

Thanks bubba!

Now.. in some quick research, it seems this milk is brought to us by Coca Cola.

With sales of traditional carbonated drinks on the decline, it's not surprising to see Coca Cola try to push other types of drinks. I saw it on the shelf just the other day. Didn't even know who was behind it.

I must be a minority here as I prefer unadulterated milk -- raw milk from a reputable organic farmer (for my pets) when possible. Otherwise, I mix half and half with regular milk because the store bought homogenized milk seems too watered down.

Originally Posted By: hatt
You guys with the raw milk are going to get raided by SWAT.

It's for the cats.

... Fairlife. The label should speak for itself.

All the Fairlife milk I have seen is UHT - Ultra High Temperature pasteurized.

The UHT process changes the taste. It modifies the proteins, perhaps detrimentally.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back