are all dealers bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ram, you bought a $30,000+ new vehicle. They should of not only gave your wife and kids a 14 mile trip home but bought them a nice lunch also.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
Originally Posted By: GiveMeAVowel
Originally Posted By: Rob_S

Oh, and the first dealer sold me a CPO car with significant refinishing work on it; indicating that it had been in some sort of accident. They denied this.

CPO is just marketing, buying ANY used car is a real [censored] shoot, you just never know how much of someone else's problem you are going to end up with.

I'd buy new. Just drive it till the wheels fall off, and you get the security of a new car warranty and if you want the extended manufacturer's warranty for a bit extra. I've always found it to be true that dealers always seem to be a bit more interested in fixing a newly purchased vehicle under factory warranty than a used one. CPO or not. Again CPO is just marketing bunk.

And a way for them to charge you a new car price for a used car! If you actually run the numbers, a lot of CPO cars have a higher cost per mile than a new car.

I don't disagree; I worked for a used car dealer for several years. I've seen things that blew my mind regarding how used cars have been treated. With that said, there's no way I would have touched this price buying new new. The Ford I purchased also has a 100K/7yr Powertrain Warranty. All in all, I don't regret the purchase, but I wouldn't buy CPO again.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: qwerty1234
Ram, you bought a $30,000+ new vehicle. They should of not only gave your wife and kids a 14 mile trip home but bought them a nice lunch also.

The 2014 Focus S like his had MSRP around $17,000. I don't think he paid near $30k+ even with financing costs.

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
Now I know why I will never,ever buy a new vehicle ever again.Not only are they overpriced,overhyped,over complicated,overly recall/trouble prone,but a great source of frustration from a servicing standpoint.And lets not mention resale values...

Don't know the last time you bought a new car. Most new cars are anything but trouble prone. They are complicated because many things cannot be done by the shade tree mechanic. Resale values, in the last 100 years your statement has been proven true. Where is the surprise there?

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
I don't think all dealers are bad. Only the bad ones are.

LOL Only about 99.9% of them are bad.

So far most of the dealers I went to are reasonably good. Some are even excellent. The only exception is we do not usually agree on what is the right price on the vehicles, services, or parts.

The only bad one I dealt with (lied to me and refuse to honor what they promised until I complained to the manufacturer), went out of business for some very serious offense to others (I think it was racial discrimination).

Instead of arguing with the dealers I usually ask them nicely on why they do not agree or think certain way. A lot of the time it is not the decision of the dealer but the manufacturers' decision, and in that case you have to call and deal with the manufacturer instead of the dealer to get things approved.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

Indeed. From all the experiences I and others I know have had
with a very rare exception all have been bad or absolutely horrible.
Service AND sales.

The amusing thing is to see the constant whining of these dealers and their lobbying organizations touting how there is a
"misperception" about dealers and that they really care about the customer and the "community" pointing out all the wonderful things they do.....except for a rare few stores the others are just as awful as consumers experience on a regular basis.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: GiveMeAVowel
Originally Posted By: demarpaint

Indeed. From all the experiences I and others I know have had
with a very rare exception all have been bad or absolutely horrible.
Service AND sales.

The amusing thing is to see the constant whining of these dealers and their lobbying organizations touting how there is a
"misperception" about dealers and that they really care about the customer and the "community" pointing out all the wonderful things they do.....except for a rare few stores the others are just as awful as consumers experience on a regular basis.

My experiences have ranged from just plain bad to "how the [censored] are they even in business".
It has been my experience that car dealers deserve the negative reputation they've earned; I struggle to find examples contrary to my experience.

I've known bad ones; my first Oldsmobile I purchased from a dealer whose idea of "service after the sale" was a bottle of touch-up paint. But the Lexus dealership where I bought the Mercedes C-Class in '04 was excellent, and Crown Buick, where I bought the Park Avenue and have had the Regal serviced under CPO warranty, has been exemplary. Yes, they have higher labor rates -- something has to pay for those muffins and coffee in the customer lounge -- and I usually go to my regular independent for ordinary service. But when I've visited Crown, they've been fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back