are all dealers bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: ram_man

Some of you missed the point entirely . A rental was always offered before didnt even have to ask it was just there. Then all the sudden sorry we can't give you a rental so i naturally asked why you did in the past. And they gave me some sob story that ford wont allow it and it cost them money and its always been like this and im crazy i should have never gotten a rental ect. Which knowing the policy isnt my job my job is to bring the car in for repairs.
they hand me the keys to loaner everytime no questions asked now theres a different manager and he seears that never happens!! It did 3 times in a row so i assumed this was normal business for them and appreciated the gesture so when i made the appointment the last time about my ac freezing up i asked would there be a car ready and the advisor said absolutely and i said good becsuse my wife has to go to work and a meeting and theres not much spare time for error. Next day i come in after work to be told they no longer do rentals and it wasnt approved and they wouldnt give me a ride home so i had to call family to get me. That was why i was frustrated and the girl that was the advisor/greeter said sine the new manager took over hes trying to get there financial house in order and cannot afford a loaner nut if i called ford , ford would most likely approve and pay for it. So i called them and they gsve me a rental. But apparently in doing that it left a bad review for them and thats why they don't want to deal with me

Also to the comment about them being suspicious of sll the issues.
1. Ac freeze up was in 4 times for it i had video and pictures proving it.
2. Paint defect was obviously seen
3 timing cover leak also obviously seen (there tech was who noticed it even)
4. Loose trim panel also obviously seen
5. Transmission rattling obviously heard
6 strut mount obviously can hear it and if i hit a curb hard enough to hurt it my guess is it would have a bent wheel or a messed up tire or car out of alignment.

No I think youre missing the point. Show where in the sales contract and/or warranty terms that a loaner or even a courtesy ride is guaranteed to you. As they say in many fields, "past performance is not indicative of future results."

On top of that, just look at the history you just posted. Six issues now, with at least one requiring multiple returns. Im sorry, but in the last four new cars that we've bought, which is all the new cars Ive bought in my life, I haven't had that many warranty claims and visits. I have no doubt that youre right on your assessments and that the car has issues, but put yourself in the dealer or Ford's shoes. This car is outside of any normalcy that they would see or deal with. You've exhausted any goodwill they've had for you likely (like a goodwill rental car at their cost), and theyre putting a doubly close eye on your claims because they DO cost the dealer and Ford money. While I firmly believe it is the job of the business to make things right for the customer, I also believe that it is the job of the dealer to scrutinize if claims being made are realistic and reasonable.

I recently read a story about how a BMW dealer got in trouble for warrantying too high a number of AC evaporators. Now, if theyre faulty, theyre faulty and the dealer should do the job and the OEM should pay. But if theyre way outside of statistics, then a business in the interest of making a profit should be at least looking at the situation to determine if it is real.

I suspect that you've been flagged by the bean counters at Ford and/or the dealership for the number of claims (right or wrong), and theyre fighting you over it since you cant make a lemon law claim. But their refusal to not take on the work or even look at it is, IMO straight-up wrong and Id throw the book at them with documentation and formal complaints to Ford corporate and perhaps even any local consumer protection boards if one exists in your state to oversee warranties.

If I were you, Id get rid of the car. Its never going to be right, and is obviously a lemon. Even if you hit some depreciation, its probably better to get rid of the hassle of the car and go for something else.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

Some of you missed the point entirely . A rental was always offered before didnt even have to ask it was just there. Then all the sudden sorry we can't give you a rental so i naturally asked why you did in the past. And they gave me some sob story that ford wont allow it and it cost them money and its always been like this and im crazy i should have never gotten a rental ect. Which knowing the policy isnt my job my job is to bring the car in for repairs.
they hand me the keys to loaner everytime no questions asked now theres a different manager and he seears that never happens!! It did 3 times in a row so i assumed this was normal business for them and appreciated the gesture so when i made the appointment the last time about my ac freezing up i asked would there be a car ready and the advisor said absolutely and i said good becsuse my wife has to go to work and a meeting and theres not much spare time for error. Next day i come in after work to be told they no longer do rentals and it wasnt approved and they wouldnt give me a ride home so i had to call family to get me. That was why i was frustrated and the girl that was the advisor/greeter said sine the new manager took over hes trying to get there financial house in order and cannot afford a loaner nut if i called ford , ford would most likely approve and pay for it. So i called them and they gsve me a rental. But apparently in doing that it left a bad review for them and thats why they don't want to deal with me

6 strut mount obviously can hear it and if i hit a curb hard enough to hurt it my guess is it would have a bent wheel or a messed up tire or car out of alignment.

No I think youre missing the point. Show where in the sales contract and/or warranty terms that a loaner or even a courtesy ride is guaranteed to you. As they say in many fields, "past performance is not indicative of future results."

On top of that, just look at the history you just posted. Six issues now, with at least one requiring multiple returns. Im sorry, but in the last four new cars that we've bought, which is all the new cars Ive bought in my life, I haven't had that many warranty claims and visits. I have no doubt that youre right on your assessments and that the car has issues, but put yourself in the dealer or Ford's shoes. This car is outside of any normalcy that they would see or deal with. You've exhausted any goodwill they've had for you likely (like a goodwill rental car at their cost), and theyre putting a doubly close eye on your claims because they DO cost the dealer and Ford money. While I firmly believe it is the job of the business to make things right for the customer, I also believe that it is the job of the dealer to scrutinize if claims being made are realistic and reasonable.

I recently read a story about how a BMW dealer got in trouble for warrantying too high a number of AC evaporators. Now, if theyre faulty, theyre faulty and the dealer should do the job and the OEM should pay. But if theyre way outside of statistics, then a business in the interest of making a profit should be at least looking at the situation to determine if it is real.

I suspect that you've been flagged by the bean counters at Ford and/or the dealership for the number of claims (right or wrong), and theyre fighting you over it since you cant make a lemon law claim. But their refusal to not take on the work or even look at it is, IMO straight-up wrong and Id throw the book at them with documentation and formal complaints to Ford corporate and perhaps even any local consumer protection boards if one exists in your state to oversee warranties.

If I were you, Id get rid of the car. Its never going to be right, and is obviously a lemon. Even if you hit some depreciation, its probably better to get rid of the hassle of the car and go for something else.

I am currently looking into possibly trading it in
I understand there's been a few claims on it and that is odd but I shouldn't be black balled because of it. I just the car to be right.
And I never expected a rental they always gave me one up front and the time I asked over the phone they said id absolutely get one then i show up and they basically said they don't do that and im wrong and ended up making my wife late to work. Thats why i was upset and thats why i wanted to talk to ford about the rental and thats why the advisor told me to call ford.

Originally Posted By: raytseng
I don't understand that the main gripe of this post seemed to hinge over a ride or rental car.

Things like rides are stuff are so easily figured out beforehand or on the phone. Who just shows ups and then wonders how they are going to get back home.

If you don't have a ride arranged, you just call a taxi, or uber, or if your car is in for the long haul you call enterprise who's whole slogan is "we pick you up" and is targetted specifically for auto repair rentals.

Plus the blackmail of a good review over the ride, it makes no sense how it relates to the dealer's main business of fixing your car, not giving you rides.

It's like asking a restaurant to drive you home otherwise you say their meal sucked. Hey they have a delivery guy who drives around deliverying food, why won't he give us a ride home.

I'm with the dealer on this one. If a customer threatens review-blackmail, I'd want to tell them to go take their business elsewhere and do him no favors. What's the point of earning the "loyalty" of such a guy who'll stab you in the back when you don't give rides or give him lunch or whatever the next request may be.

Then making this post calling "all dealers bad" to try to look for sympathy and validation from others who may have legitimate gripes with dealer; but perhaps in this case the customer maybe off target here

the thread title makes no sense, as it's impossible.
jhzr2's last post is good.
this thread appears to be heading toward ram's "train wreck" threads of the past.
ram -- I know that you're young, but a person has to start, at some point, to deal with life's small issues, without turning to the 'net for guidance/ validation.
your foot pain thread is a good example.hook up with a podiatrist -- case closed.several posters suggested this.a grown man should not have to ask about such a thing.
don't get po'd about this, as you would in the past, when you would lash out at posters who would tell you something that you didn't want to hear.
in this case, you burned a bridge with one dealer.your past history indicates that some of your "issues" have been self-inflicted. one cannot keep shooting oneself in the foot, over time, and expect to not bleed.
you can make basic decisions without validation from bitogers/internet.
good luck with the car, and your foot issue. you sure could use some good luck. have a good day.

Some of you are missing the main point, if a vehicle has issues that are covered under the factory warranty agreement, the dealer MUST cover the vehicle. If they fail to do so it is a violation of the manufacturers own policies, and likely falls under
consumer laws, either federal or state regulated. Even if ram's car has had more problems than most they must make it right, unless the customer is causing the issues.

Not all dealers are bad with their service department. This was my experience with the engine mount on the Focus.

Dealer 1 said it was fine when, clearly, it was not. I called another dealer (where I got the car - did NOT identify that I bought the car there) and the service manager told me he would order the part immediately and bring it in to replace it ASAP. In and out in 20 minutes.

You cannot claim "all dealers are bad" based on experiences with two dealers only. I use Audi and BMW dealers for service and they are excellent.

In fairness it does seem that a good chunk of dealers are kinda terrible i am sure not all are. And pleasr someone explain to me how any of this at all is somehow even partially my fault?

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

I am currently looking into possibly trading it in
I understand there's been a few claims on it and that is odd but I shouldn't be black balled because of it. I just the car to be right.
And I never expected a rental they always gave me one up front and the time I asked over the phone they said id absolutely get one then i show up and they basically said they don't do that and im wrong and ended up making my wife late to work. Thats why i was upset and thats why i wanted to talk to ford about the rental and thats why the advisor told me to call ford.

That is exactly what some dealer wants you to do.
If you legitimately have had all these issues with this vehicle, you need to do two things: 1) Insist on meeting with a Zone Rep and 2) Become familiar with Lemon Law procedures in your state.
I went through a series of issues with a Ford product that I bought new. I actually had the dealer encouraging me to go through Lemon Law, after the spent 57 days the first year in the shop. There never was any doubt that the vehicle would be bought back; however, we went through some gyrations over price and whether or not I could purchase the next model year. We worked out issue #1 and came within $60. of what I asked for. Issue 2 and their lack of flexibility resulted in my purchasing a new Honda to replace the vehicle. However, I came out more than whole and I have purchased several new Fords since. I might add that I have owned vehicles from GM, Ford and Chrysler, and Ford has been the only manufacturer in my dealings that has stepped up to the plate and went above and beyond.
In regards to bad dealers, there are good and bad in every marque. The key is to vetting the dealer before you buy the car, because after that you are merely a mark.

Have you contacted any of the Ford reps that are on the various Ford sites? Focusfanatics has one - I am pretty certain that my complaint to her helped stop a problem service manager

In fairness it does seem that a good chunk of dealers are kinda terrible i am sure not all are. And pleasr someone explain to me how any of this at all is somehow even partially my fault?

It's not your fault. That's how most of the businesses operate. If you pay attention, about 80% of businesses you interact with treat you like a nuisance.

I will preface my post by saying I don't know you, and can only judge you by your posts, and to a certain extent, reading between the lines.

You phoned and complained about your first dealer to corporate because you didn't get a rental car. Your complaint about the second dealer was because they did not give your wife/family a ride home. Is the dealership responsible for providing these amenities? Do you have some sort of extended service contract that provides for a rental during service? Do you think that the dealer should be required to provide these services for all of their warranty customers?

I usually approach these threads from the other side of the counter. I was in a dealership for a long while, both as a tech and as a shop foreman. I have experiences, both good and bad, with fellow employees and customers. To be fair, customers can sometimes have expectations that are unrealistic.

For 2 months we had a courtesy van that gave customers a ride to local destinations. Eventually we were delivering kids to schools, people to work in downtown Austin, people back to their homes in Cedar Park, and it became untenable. Our QC scores actually dropped because we tried to provide a service to our customers, a service that was unworkable without a fleet of courtesy vehicles which we couldn't afford to operate.

Our customers that were guaranteed a rental (by FoMoCo or their service contract)for the duration of the service, got one. It wasn't always another Town Car, but it worked.....and people still complained.

I am sorry your dealership experience didn't work out. We busted our hump to keep customers happy. When those QC numbers went up, our owner was happy, our managers were happy, and we were happy. The reverse was also true. It is not like your dealership operates in a vacuum. There is customer feedback, and that feedback can help or hurt a dealer.

If a dealer/sales/service department treats you unfairly/improperly, you have every right to complain. If they cannot fix your vehicle properly, or it requires multiple visits for the same repair, then complain. Before you do complain ask yourself if your complaint is legitimate, and is it actually a fault with the dealer, or a larger policy concern with corporate. If a dealership isn't giving you a rental, or providing transportation, is it because of the dealer, or is it because corporate doesn't require them to give you those perks. If it is required, and they don't provide it, then dip them. If the root of your dissatisfaction is that you think they should provide this service, but are not required to, then you might need to reexamine your expectations.

I agree with many of the skeptical posters here. If anyone has read this entire thread, and has read the OPs previous posts and for one second believes the dealership has done anything wrong is naive.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: punisher

I will preface my post by saying I don't know you, and can only judge you by your posts, and to a certain extent, reading between the lines.

You phoned and complained about your first dealer to corporate because you didn't get a rental car. Your complaint about the second dealer was because they did not give your wife/family a ride home. Is the dealership responsible for providing these amenities? Do you have some sort of extended service contract that provides for a rental during service? Do you think that the dealer should be required to provide these services for all of their warranty customers?

I usually approach these threads from the other side of the counter. I was in a dealership for a long while, both as a tech and as a shop foreman. I have experiences, both good and bad, with fellow employees and customers. To be fair, customers can sometimes have expectations that are unrealistic.

For 2 months we had a courtesy van that gave customers a ride to local destinations. Eventually we were delivering kids to schools, people to work in downtown Austin, people back to their homes in Cedar Park, and it became untenable. Our QC scores actually dropped because we tried to provide a service to our customers, a service that was unworkable without a fleet of courtesy vehicles which we couldn't afford to operate.

Our customers that were guaranteed a rental (by FoMoCo or their service contract)for the duration of the service, got one. It wasn't always another Town Car, but it worked.....and people still complained.

I am sorry your dealership experience didn't work out. We busted our hump to keep customers happy. When those QC numbers went up, our owner was happy, our managers were happy, and we were happy. The reverse was also true. It is not like your dealership operates in a vacuum. There is customer feedback, and that feedback can help or hurt a dealer.

If a dealer/sales/service department treats you unfairly/improperly, you have every right to complain. If they cannot fix your vehicle properly, or it requires multiple visits for the same repair, then complain. Before you do complain ask yourself if your complaint is legitimate, and is it actually a fault with the dealer, or a larger policy concern with corporate. If a dealership isn't giving you a rental, or providing transportation, is it because of the dealer, or is it because corporate doesn't require them to give you those perks. If it is required, and they don't provide it, then dip them. If the root of your dissatisfaction is that you think they should provide this service, but are not required to, then you might need to reexamine your expectations.

I didnt complain about the second dealer to ford i was personally disappointed that they wouldnt give my wife a ride and earn a new customer but that was there choice .
But YES I DO HAVE AN EXTENDED WARRANTY THAT COVERS RENTAL! i uppercased that not yelling but to make sure it was read. I bought an extended warranty from the purchasing dealer the same day i bought my car that offers a rental everytime the car will be in the shop overnight . Im upset because i bought a warranty that guarantees me a rental in these cases and i got ine 3 times no issue and then all the sudden was fed a line how it cost the dealer money and they cant do it anymore. Then they proceeded to tell me my warranty doesnt cover rental. I have the paper work and it clear as day does cover a rental.
The dealer we took it to today provided a rental per the warranty coverage and had no issues doing so. But the dealer i bought it from couldnt do it? I am not in the wrong on this. Some would like to pretend I am but i have a written agreement stating i am entitled to a rental and the dealer i bought it from wouldn't honor that so i called ford about getting a rental and now because of that the dealer i bought the car from wouldn't service my car at all.
Well of course i called ford like the advisor said to do i wasnt being provided with a service in which i PURCHASED. I realize me trying to tell every detail on here is difficult and you all reading it all is going to tedious to but I think we can all agree if you buy coverage that provides a rental you should get a rental without a darn fight.

And given all the trouble the car has had ford gave me an extended service plan. Ford themselves has great customer service.

The fact that your warranty terms give you a rental and it's not just goodwill is a huge factor in this. Now it makes a ton more sense why you called ford the first time to get it authorized (though I have no clue why it would leave a black mark since I assume it is a factory warranty underwritten by ford).

Given that I'd really take it up with your zone rep or higher. Write up the story in a clear concise way. Heck, draft it on here and we can help you edit it to tell the story clearly. Then let'er rip. The dealer strikes me as so wrong given this new info that I'd be on the war path.

Because if I'm not mistaken, given the terms of your warranty, the dealer 7, 14, or 1400 miles away should give you a loaner.

I guess thinking out loud the only caveat to all this is that they're under no obligation to give you anything until they've verified that there is something wrong... And that the repairs will take the car being there overnight to complete. But why that would take more than an hour or two with an appointment isn't clear to me.

I agree and my wife and i both have been fine waiting an hour or so for diagnosis before having the rental car situation figured out. But to flat out say no "we arent giving you one" just floored me.
How would i go about getting ahold of a zone rep? I tried calling and emailing district manager of the dealership franchise but have yet to hear back.

But YES I DO HAVE AN EXTENDED WARRANTY THAT COVERS RENTAL! i uppercased that not yelling but to make sure it was read. I bought an extended warranty from the purchasing dealer the same day i bought my car that offers a rental everytime the car will be in the shop overnight . Im upset because i bought a warranty that guarantees me a rental in these cases and i got ine 3 times no issue and then all the sudden was fed a line how it cost the dealer money and they cant do it anymore. Then they proceeded to tell me my warranty doesnt cover rental. I have the paper work and it clear as day does cover a rental.
The dealer we took it to today provided a rental per the warranty coverage and had no issues doing so. But the dealer i bought it from couldnt do it? I am not in the wrong on this. Some would like to pretend I am but i have a written agreement stating i am entitled to a rental and the dealer i bought it from wouldn't honor that so i called ford about getting a rental and now because of that the dealer i bought the car from wouldn't service my car at all.
Well of course i called ford like the advisor said to do i wasnt being provided with a service in which i PURCHASED. I realize me trying to tell every detail on here is difficult and you all reading it all is going to tedious to but I think we can all agree if you buy coverage that provides a rental you should get a rental without a darn fight.

My fault for missing that part of your post. Just didn't see anything about your having additional coverage.

You are right then. If you bought additional coverage that entitles you to a rental for overnight work, then by all means, they owe that to you. My concern was then that your additional warranty coverage was a dealer specific policy that only works at a specific dealer. For awhile our dealership sold a horrible warranty (initials are "FE") that was only good at our dealership. Customers hated it, and the service department and every tech in there hated it. Since your warranty terms were honored at another dealership, then you have a legit warranty.

Yes, it often costs a dealer money to supply a rental vehicle. Rental reimbursements can sometimes be on the stingy side. That being said, you bought a warranty from them, they darned sure ought to honor it.

And given all the trouble the car has had ford gave me an extended service plan. Ford themselves has great customer service.

You need to let the executives in Dearborn KNOW about the dealers failing to provide warranty service as is their own company policy, like I said before send a snail mail return receipt requested letter to CEO
Mark Fields and explain what happened and how they need to investigate this problem and provide you with the results and how they will remedy the situation, on top of that I would ask for an extension on the extended warranty you paid good money for which was not properly honored by the store. This is the factory Ford ESP
extended warranty, correct? I'd ask corporate for at least an additional 3 years coverage.

Last edited:
No i purchased an aftermarket warranty called the mechanic. But today ford offered me ford extended service plan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back