OEM vs. Aftermarket filters for European Cars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
It seems that the guys that drive BMWs and Mercedes like to stick with the OEM (Mann or Mahle) oil filters whereas people on here that drive Fords, GMs, Hondas, Toyotas, Chryslers. etc. talk of using aftermarket oil filters.

I was just wondering why?

I figure some people are "purists" and want everything to be oem. I can't tell any difference with how my car runs no matter what filter is on it.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
I figure some people are "purists" and want everything to be oem. I can't tell any difference with how my car runs no matter what filter is on it.

Especially the BMW guys, Mann oil filters, BMW synthetic oil.

I've been using AC Delco oil filters for some time on my Silverado, not because I think they are the bestest, but because they are easy to acquire.

With that being said I am not opposed to using a filter from a non-OEM manufacturer.

In many cases, the Mann or Mahle filters are less expensive than Fram, Purolator, or Wix for Euro applications.

In my case, I bought a couple Hastings filters for my M3 off Amazon.com, because they are actually repackaged Mahle oil filters. They do costs way cheaper than the same filters in Mahle packaging.

$11.94 vs. $19.90 for the same filters.

Last edited:
Because the Euros generally can't design an engine, so they use band-aids like special oil and filters.

Wix is probably OK for those cars since they make the most effort to be not-as-generic like Fram and Purolator.

American and Japanese engines are far more tolerant.

Originally Posted By: drtyler
In many cases, the Mann or Mahle filters are less expensive than Fram, Purolator, or Wix for Euro applications.

That is a valid explanation.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
Because the Euros generally can't design an engine, so they use band-aids like special oil and filters.

Wix is probably OK for those cars since they make the most effort to be not-as-generic like Fram and Purolator.

American and Japanese engines are far more tolerant.

Wow, this should get the Euro car lovers all stirred up, especially the BMW guys that want to talk about about how awesome the engineering that goes into making a BMW.

Originally Posted By: stchman
It seems that the guys that drive BMWs and Mercedes like to stick with the OEM (Mann or Mahle) oil filters whereas people on here that drive Fords, GMs, Hondas, Toyotas, Chryslers. etc. talk of using aftermarket oil filters.

All other things being equal, I have always used Motorcraft oil filters on my Ford cars. Having said that, I am not averse to using other brand filters, but so far, the Motorcraft filters have always worked great and are priced right. Why change?

.. that, and I know they work with the cars because they were made by Ford.

Originally Posted By: SirTanon

All other things being equal, I have always used Motorcraft oil filters on my Ford cars. Having said that, I am not averse to using other brand filters, but so far, the Motorcraft filters have always worked great and are priced right. Why change?

Actually Purolator makes Motorcraft filters.

Wow, this should get the Euro car lovers all stirred up, especially the BMW guys that want to talk about about how awesome the engineering that goes into making a BMW.

Doesn't bother me; I've seen imbeciles who own Euro cars post moronic and wildly inaccurate comments about Asian or US cars- why shouldn't the converse be true?

Originally Posted By: drtyler

Very true with the sled. Paying >$8 for an oil filter is just nuts when both Mann & Mahle's are less than $5 and easily obtainable in town. Why pay retail?

I used mostly German cartridge oil filters in my MB E430 and Volvo V70. There are several reasons: better quality and cheaper when buying online.

I can buy online Mann, Mahle, Hengst, Bosch ... oil filter online for $4-8/ea while Fram cartridge oil filter is more than $10. I tried Fram cartridge oil filter in my E430 once and didn't like it, the filter didn't stay on the filter holder as with German filters, and the filter media didn't look as high quality as German filter either.

I think German cartridge oil filters are better quality than others.

Cheaper for cartridge applications than an aftermarket name that has to buy the filter and then mark it up to make money on it.

Originally Posted By: SirTanon

Actually Purolator makes Motorcraft filters.

Yes, yes... I know, I know.. To Ford Specifications. Semantics.

I could have said "because they were 'engineered' or 'specced' by Ford. Someone would still try to pick that apart. Ultimately, Ford provided the specs for Purolator to make the filters for them. I still consider them a different, superior product.

When I had my Audi 200, OEM type filters (not from the dealer, of course) were significantly cheaper than the "others." The German Bosch, Mann, Mahle, and so forth were significantly cheaper (i.e. up to 50% off) than Wix, Fram, and so forth.

The OEM Purflux filter for our E350 was reasonably priced, and available over the counter at the Mercedes dealer up the street.

Male and Mann had nothing I could find locally. Fram has no FU for it, and the WIX filter looked pretty standard.

The Purflux looked merely stained after 13k miles on the FF, so I just see no reason to go with anything else.

Cheap, same quality as original and to be honest, there arent that many options for Euro cars.

Also, not a single european oil filter manufacturer that i know of states specs like filtration efficiency, flow etc so we cant differentiate the OEM filters from aftermarket filters. So why bother, just get a OEM Mann, Bosch, Mahle and forget about aftermarket.

I can't speak for anybody else, but I personally use Mann because I can't find another OF that does 99.9% @ 9uM, or another AF that does 99.9% @ 3uM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back