OM642 Oil Filter advice please.

Hi.
My usual choice of filter for my OM642 Diesel engine is the Mahle OX380D. I have noticed that the Bosch filter is much cheaper. Are Bosch filters of equal quality to the Mahle?

Also, Napa are pushing their products in the UK. Their oil filter is cheaper than the Bosch. Are Napa filters good quality?

Would you guys just stick with the Mahle or Mann filters?

Many thanks.

In my opinion Bosch has created a good reputation. They have been an OEM supplier for different parts for years now. They can produce items at large scales. I was a big fan of their spark plugs at one time. I believe they make a good quality filter with no issues. I've used a couple & when I've cut them open they've looked well constructed. However, I've not seen a lot of Mahle filters so I can't really comment on that other than they also share a good reputation.

I would only be somewhat concerned if the filter was made in China, whatever the brand.

Having said that, I generally use Mahle filters in my OM651.

Bosch and napa are definitely good quality. If the price difference is big I'd use the cheap napa filter which isn't cheap quality at all in comparison to some filters. In the US many cheap oil change shops use some low quality oil filter similar to those $1 rock auto cans and they still go hundreds of thousands of miles on then at the end of the day. If engines were to fail from napa filters you'd quickly hear about it. But cheap napa filters are well regarded here.

Back