To filter change or not to filter change?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: CELICA_XX
So many people on this site recommend using the Fram ULTRA for multiple oil changes, so I finally decided to try it a few weeks ago.

I drained the oil and kept the old filter on.

The very next morning I checked my oil and it was considerably dirty/dark compared to how it should look 12 hours after an OCI.

I didn't realize just how much oil comes out when I remove the filter, not to mention the filter itself being full of dirty oil.

I won't be doing it again.

Exactly, people here do so because they don't want to change the filter, too messy I guess.

Originally Posted By: Propflux01
Originally Posted By: SlipperyPete
How can you say that's "misinformation"? Owners manuals say a lot of things but I'm willing to bet even you don't follow your manuals word for word. I certainly don't. My car does not have an OLM, and states oil changes 7500 miles or 3750 severe. I change oil AND filter at 5K. It's easy to remember and covers the way I drive (alittle of both types). I will not leave an under $10 filter in with new oil. I don't have any way of testing a filter to see if maybe the bypass is distorted and leaking oil or if anything other might be going on because of heat cycles. For me, it's peace of mind and preventive maintenance. I don't see that as misinformation when I recommend this to others.

I'll take Honda's word over yours. Take it up with them if you think you know better.

you go right ahead and do that. just keep in mind that when you realize that the manufacturer who wrote that manual does that with a specific timeframe of serviceability for that vehicle . After all Hondas not going to make any money if you prolong the life of their vehicle, so go by the manual, go by the oil change, go by the filter every other change. It's your car... I know how long mine is going to last ...

LOL, I've seen Honda engines running jiffy lube filters and oil for lord knows how long... and they run forever.

This discussion and the disagreement that has ensued is irrelevant IMO. Either option, as executed by an anal retentive BITOG'er will be above and beyond the routine of your average consumer.

Originally Posted By: Joenpb
So many people on this site recommend using the Fram ULTRA for multiple oil changes, so I finally decided to try it a few weeks ago.

The very next morning I checked my oil and it was considerably dirty/dark compared to how it should look 12 hours after an OCI.

I didn't realize just how much oil comes out when I remove the filter, not to mention the filter itself being full of dirty oil.

Exactly, people here do so because they don't want to change the filter, too messy I guess.

OMG, the oil is brown'er!

My subaru used to darken oil real quick. My UOA's were perfect. Color of oil means very little.

I have to say i find this thread refreshing, many people using some common sense and going with OEM specifications, or erring conservative. A much better alternative to using a car or truck as an oil & filter test bed, and finding the limits the hard way.

Originally Posted By: webfors

OMG, the oil is brown'er!

My subaru used to darken oil real quick. My UOA's were perfect. Color of oil means very little.

I agree with this assessment.

Originally Posted By: Stewie
Since when oil color is an indicator of ... ANYTHING!

It's an indicator of contaminants.

I changed my oil and filter 2 weeks ago and the oil on my dipstick is still a very light honey color. If it were darker brown it would likely still be good as you stated, but it would have more contaminates which has caused the color to darken. I choose to change all of my oil, & that includes the filter, per my car's OEM specification.

Originally Posted By: goodtimes
Originally Posted By: sir1900
Originally Posted By: SilverC6
I like to change the filter at every OCI.

That's just me.

Guys running uber expensive synthetic media filters have to run the filter through a second or third oil change to get their money's worth.

Sign me up for a new NAPA Silver with each OCI.

That way, it doesn't bother me when I throw it into the garbage can.

At the end of the day, this is really the way to go (except the oil filter in the garbage can part).

Why do some folks replace a FRAM Ultra after 1/3 of it's useful life? Seems like a waste of money and resources.

I paid under $5 for my Fram Ultras. Score one more free for saying the name Ultra here. That first car you have is something I couldn't afford. But I can afford $5 more once a year. Even $10 more per year, I could handle it. I mean c'mon you have a 2015 Q50 awd limited and you want to extend the oil filter intervals? That's fine though, joking. If I had a wagon like that I would change the oil and filter twice as often as they say with the best oil and filter money could buy.

No where did I say anything about extending oil filter intervals beyond it's stated capabilities. My argument is that I find it ridiculous that folks here are using FRAM Ultras (and any other filters rated for 15k) for 1/3 of its useful life. It's like going to Outback Steakhouse eating a 1/3 of a steak and tossing the other 2/3 in the garbage.

The majority of folks are not acquiring FRAM Ultras for $5, but even if they are, it is still a waste of a perfectly good filter if it's being tossed in the recycle bin after 5k.

I was able to afford an Infiniti because I used the cheapest filters money can buy on my other cars and took the savings from not buying expensive filters to buy this one
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: SilverC6
That way, it doesn't bother me when I throw it into the garbage can.

I don't believe every state considers used oil filters as hazardous waste, but tossing them in the trash seems like a pretty bad practice, IMO.

Not exactly. The oil coming out is relatively small, and the effect on the new oil in the sump is negligible. I actually prefer having some used on in there, since the dipstick on the Civic is a major pain to read without some color to it; color that means nothing, BTW.

The filter on the Civic is underneath the engine and vertical. The filter on the Forester is on top of the engine and vertical.

Neither filter creates much of a mess, especially since I have a lift and large collection container to use at the local hobby shop.

I choose not to replace them every single interval, because they don't need to be. If a filter is designed for a certain mileage (probably a conservative spec, at that,) there are no engine issues, and there are no apparent risks (who knows someone who properly maintains his/her car who has had an oil-related engine failure? :sees no hands in the air.) There are supposed benefits, however, in that a used filter will filter more, and for a properly maintained engine, the risk of particulate loading is pretty small, IMO, and based on reading here.

I have to say i find this thread refreshing, many people using some common sense and going with OEM specifications, or erring conservative. A much better alternative to using a car or truck as an oil & filter test bed, and finding the limits the hard way.

I find it interesting when people cherry pick and reach the conclusion they wanted to come to. Did you feel like you were finding the limits of your oil and filter 10, 20, or 30 years ago, when the intervals weren't much shorter, but the oil and filters and engines were much lower quality, relatively speaking?

Materiel comes with a spec for a reason. If an oil and filter are apparently or empirically shown to be good up to and even beyond their spec with very low to no risk, and even some benefit; and if there is no apparent or empirical evidence to support the supposition that cutting said specified or prescribed interval by any fraction will provide any benefit, then what's the point of running a shorter interval?

The simple fact, is that if you change your oil and filter more frequently than what is based on empirical data and trusted conjecture, then the benefit is solely for you and your peace of mind, not the actual vehicle which is being discussed. Be that because you like changing your oil (for whatever reason,) have heard stories that oppose what many other and I have said here, or because you can't assimilate new methods and accepted maintenance schedules, the fact is, the vast majority of our engines will outlast the rest of the car.

The difference, however, will be that an appropriate maintenance schedule will conserve resources, waste less time and money, and possibly benefit the vehicle in some immeasurable way (wear, lower risk, etc.)

To end my rant, I'll just say that common sense has nothing to do with when you change your oil and filter, since 'common sense' is based solely on emotion these days, and not data.

Quote:
I find it interesting when people cherry pick and reach the conclusion they wanted to come to. Did you feel like you were finding the limits of your oil and filter 10, 20, or 30 years ago, when the intervals weren't much shorter, but the oil and filters and engines were much lower quality, relatively speaking?

Back then OCIs were 3k miles, now we're up to 5K, 7.5K, 10k+ miles on a OCI depending on oil & filter used. If using a conventional oil today I wouldn't go more than 5k miles on an OCI, and prefer to change the filter and as close to 100% of the oil I can. That can't be a wrong answer, going too long on an OCI certainly can. Whether a person decides to change an oil filter every change is up to them, I understand wanting to do so, especially considering filters are inexpensive, and engines and cars are not. if a person is using an ultra for 2-3 OCIs that's their decision too. It should be fine at less than 15k total miles.

My point was just because some here follow the herd like sheep, doesn't mean that is the only correct answer. I don't really want to find the limit of my oil and filter, and prefer both are still providing good protection when the next change occurs. That way my engine is always optimally lubricated.

Originally Posted By: kschachn

You think Honda says that so the longevity of the vehicle is reduced?

Or is it because it really doesn't matter?

I personally think it's nothing but a money saving, service-less type of thing. Sort of like the same thing found in many owners manuals that state coolant can go 100K, then change every 50K or two years thereafter, even when using the manufacturer's brand of coolant. Now will that oil filter safely go 2 oil changes? Maybe, but me personally, I'm not taking the chance over a sub $10 part. Either way, I don't consider my advice to be "misinformation". It is strictly my opinion and experience with vehicles and engines.

Sort of like the same thing found in many owners manuals that state coolant can go 100K, then change every 50K or two years thereafter, even when using the manufacturer's brand of coolant.

Yeah, I could never figure out why they say that. Was there some super secret additive put in at the factory that isn't in their over the counter OEM coolant?
21.gif

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Sort of like the same thing found in many owners manuals that state coolant can go 100K, then change every 50K or two years thereafter, even when using the manufacturer's brand of coolant.

Yeah, I could never figure out why they say that. Was there some super secret additive put in at the factory that isn't in their over the counter OEM coolant?
21.gif

I think it's just to get you to the end of the warrenty period as cheap and service-free as possible. Because after the warrenty is over, many will purchase a new vehicle and be proud of how little maintenance cost was.

If using a conventional oil today I wouldn't go more than 5k miles on an OCI...

I do 10k miles on VWB conventional in the van as per the manual. I better start saving now for that new engine
grin.gif

If you want to save your vehicle from the evil OEM maintenance intervals, I would focus on everything else first.

I can't recall knowing anyone in my 40+ years of existence where the engine was the reason the car eventually died when OEM intervals were followed where lubrication related failures were involved.

Sorry to hear you drive a Dodge mini van.
grin.gif

I preach following the OEM maintenance schedule, if it states 10k mile OCI with conventional oil you should be good to go. If it states 10K with a synthetic, your car will probably end up like this. Good luck.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

21.gif

Are you guys kidding? The change they require at 100k is only the radiator, which removes only a portion of the coolant. The new coolant mixes with the old and replenishes the old.

100% brand new coolant: 100k miles

< 100% brand new coolant: < 100k miles

^^^ Could be and makes sense. But it's not clear what a "coolant change" means in the service manual. I don't recall specifically seeing that it was just a "radiator drain and fill".

Originally Posted By: webfors
I've got M1 0w20 and Fram Ultras stacked deep on the oil shelf. I'm running the FF out until the OLM tells me to change. Then on goes the Ultra and the M1. The Ultra will stay on for two OCI's as per the owners manual.

I had a similar plan with my 15 Civic. But when I got to 5500 miles and the OLM was STILL at 70%, I chickened out. If it is linear (which it may not be), and my driving dynamics stayed the same (which they would), it would have put it at 10% at 16,500 miles. I trust Honda knows what they're doing, but I couldn't stand to wait that long. Did a change at about 6000 miles. I'm at 7800 miles now and the OLM is reading 90% on this oil change, so its probably going to tell me about a 17k oil change interval again. Crazy stuff.

Sorry to hear you drive a Dodge mini van.
grin.gif

I preach following the OEM maintenance schedule, if it states 10k mile OCI with conventional oil you should be good to go. If it states 10K with a synthetic, your car will probably end up like this. Good luck.

Totally 100% false.

10K OCI with conventional is okay but 10k with synthetic will sludge up the engine is totally wrong.

^^^ That video was showing what a 30K OCI did. They say to change oil every 10K of less. The video doesn't mention conventional of synthetic oil anywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back