Factory Fill Magic Elixir?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wanted some opinions about factory fills. Do you think they still or ever put in special additives? I am not talking about flat tappet or custom built engine. I am talking about your average vehicle rolling off the assembly line. It is my opinion that the factory fill on my Jeep is Pennzoil yellow bottle. I am not saying that is a bad thing. I have always heard that the factory fill has "special additives for proper break in." I just don't think that is the case, at least not anymore.
Opinions? Facts?

Originally Posted By: used_0il
Do you want opinions or facts?

I solicitated for both.

I think ALL/Most manufactures use assembly lubes to prevent scuffing during break-in. The assembly lubes do mix with the oil and circulate throughout the engine. That is the reason I don't dump the first fill too early. Ed

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
IIRC, Honda still does it - their factory fill is loaded with moly.

Most other mfgs probably don't.

I agree. For whatever reason Honda factory fill has boat load of moly and they are very adamant about keeping it in the engine for full OCI.

Last edited:
I have two questions;
What is the maximum particle size that appear in UOAs?
Is the moly in the UOA an oil additive or the assembly lube?

Last edited by a moderator:
I have two questions;

They burn the oil to measure the strength of the elemental wavelengths and determine concentration density from that, so particle size has nothing to do with it. Its mg/kg, ppm.

I have two questions;

Honda claimed that their factory fill is special, but maybe the extra moly comes from assembly lube, who knows ?

Depending on the source of information ICP like used by Blackstone can not detect particles greater than ~2-10 microns.

I dumped the FF in my accord at 3000mi or so, with no ill effects. Wear has only been trending down as the engine accumulates more miles, a typical Honda.

Last edited:
My opinion: Any new engine manufacturer should use an assembly lube.

Conjecture: If that lube is loaded with moly and they then use a bulk oil for the first fill, it may test as a super oil since the assembly lube basically becomes additive.

This would probably be much less expensive than ordering a specifically crafted motor oil for the FF.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ExMachina
Hyundai uses a huge amount of moly in their FF !'
See http://www.veloster.org/forum/69-hyundai-veloster-oil/7298-laboratory-analysis-factory-fill-oil.html

"...factory fill for the Veloster Turbo is Shell Helix ACEA A5" [rant against low weight, "fake" synthetic oils follows. Poster thinks that anything he does not use in his air-cooled motorcycle cannot be good for anything else
smirk.gif
]

Always dump my FF at 500/1K miles, any engine is bound to have some crud from the assembly line and casting
11.gif

Yes true. Any idea what type of moly honda uses , solid or liquid and exact chemical/chemistry name , because it must be good for the engines (knowing the longevity of honda engines) ?

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

I agree. For whatever reason Honda factory fill has boat load of moly and they are very adamant about keeping it in the engine for full OCI.

I changed the factory fill on our 2001 Accord at less than 1K miles, its still going strong at 272K miles. Got 42 MPG while running in the Florida Keys a few months ago.

Originally Posted By: Garak
I bet it's just residual assembly lube showing up in UOAs. I'd almost wager money on that one.

I'm with you. I'd also be willing to bet the first 20 or so minutes of operation the assembly lube has done its job.

And if the manuals said it was assembly lube, people would be itching to get it out of there right away.
wink.gif
So, they tout it as some fortified factory fill, which isn't exactly wrong, but not exactly intellectually honest, either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back