The Evolution of Vehicular Needs

Status
Not open for further replies.
CPO Prius is probably also worth a look. Hatch, cheap to insure, great fuel economy and reliability, and you can probably find a few in your price range in an area as large as Houston.

The thing about the versa CVT or Nissan cvt s in general is that they brake Dow due to heat and slippage, I.e. city driving

My cousin just found a 5yr old versa with 50k on it and its a stick for $5000

Its nice and plenty quick and although not as roomy cargo wise it has plenty of seating room

Id bet the first real maintenance she puts into it is a t belt and water pump at 105k

Originally Posted By: BowNisPar
Good afternoon (ladies? &) Gentlemen,

I am in the middle of my "out of the Navy" road trip across America, towing my 22 foot travel trailer with my 1996 big block Suburban. When I return from my trip (back to Houston, TX) I will start law school, complete with a 40 mile per day commute.

Obviously the 10 mpg 454 won't work for me...even with GI Bill benefits and a wife that works (she paints wonderful pet portraits if anyone is in the market...let me know!) the finances just can't support the mileage penalty or relative lack of reliability.

I'm looking to spend $15k or less on a new, full warranty commuter car for me. I have looked at quite a few and would love input and suggestions. I've ruled out the Sonic and Spark, the Focus and Fiesta, and the Mazda 2. I have driven/sat in the Accent Hatch (and really liked the look, drive, interior size, etc). Anything else I should be considering? It seems like the Fit and Yaris are out of my price range, and I'd prefer new for long-term peace of mind and complete warranty during my 3 years at school.

Thanks guys!

5-speed Mirage?

Originally Posted By: yesthatsteve
CPO Prius is probably also worth a look. Hatch, cheap to insure, great fuel economy and reliability, and you can probably find a few in your price range in an area as large as Houston.

Did you miss the part where he said he values good driving dynamics?

Well, $15,000 ain't gonna buy you much new, and you have ruled out, like, 90% of the potential candidates.

My vote is for slightly used. Buy an extended warranty if you are worried about stuff like that.

I like suggestions as Camry, Corolla, etc. If you want cheaper, Nissan Sentra can be had all day long under $15k. Chevy Cruze is a great choice. Ford Focus for the prized "driving dynamics", although try to avoid the PowerShift trans. All these cars will deliver solid fuel mileage, good reliability, and low cost of ownership.

Originally Posted By: yesthatsteve

This is my favorite suggestion. The used market for hybrids/high fuel mileage vehicles has absolutely tanked. Some aggressive shopping should turn up plenty of Prius's, Chevy Volts, Nissan Leafs, Civic hybrid, or whatever at deep discount pricing. A Prius would be perfect for what you need.

In general, economy cars are not all that long lived.

A friend recently purchased a 2014 Honda Accord Sport with 6 speed manual transmission, for $22K. It is quite a nice car, very large inside, huge trunk, carries 4 adults in absolute comfort. Gets 31MPG. It's also quite a high quality car. Unlike most economy cars.

I dare you to find a better automotive price/performance ratio.

2013_Honda_Accord_Sport_sedan_019_6742.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Cujet

And if you find a long lived econobox one often wants it to die after a while, or simply wants to trade out of it.

Originally Posted By: CELICA_XX
economy cars are not all that long lived.

What are you talking about ???

+1 I can't say I've seen a correlation between initial cost and lifespan for most vehicles. Maybe the opposite actually.
Usually the drivetrains seem to be built to about the same level of durability, but I will concede that the interiors of the low end cars don't age as well as more expensive cars, especially lately.

A friend recently purchased a 2014 Honda Accord Sport with 6 speed manual transmission, for $22K. It is quite a nice car, very large inside, huge trunk, carries 4 adults in absolute comfort. Gets 31MPG. It's also quite a high quality car. Unlike most economy cars.

I dare you to find a better automotive price/performance ratio.

2013_Honda_Accord_Sport_sedan_019_6742.jpg

That is excellent for your friend. Float me the extra $7k I'll need to exceed my budget by and I'll pick one up.

I am currently looking for a sub 15k vehicle also with low mileage.

Toyota/Honda/Scion is the brands I am focusing on.

There are plenty of 4 year old Accords and Camry's with the 4 banger and low mileage for under 15k.

Sub $10k gets me into a Civic, Scion TC, or Scion XB, or Corolla.

Micro cars seem to be the same price, and they aren't big enough for me. Yaris, etc.

BowNisPar,

Thanks for your service to our country.

You might check out a Toyota Venza. Basically it's a Camry station wagon. Toyota is discontinuing the Venza next year and you can probably find a low mileage model for under $15000.

santiago
USN 69-72

We have a guy who we nicknamed mountain man after he used the toilet brush as toilet paper after he ran out at our shop. He is a retired marine. Whatever gets the job done I guess

Any way he is now a Currier. In the past 10 years he has racked up near 1.2 mil miles on 4 kia Rios.

Twice now we have told him to get an engine or a new car, and twice now at 400k he has gotten a new or newer Rio.

That's about the cheapest car you can buy new. And he is racking near 1/2 mil mi on em before major issues take place

I see a 2014 Scion xb, 5 spd manual, alloy wheels with only 7000 miles on Autotrader. Dealership is asking $15,200. Plenty of room for pet paintings, babies, books...whatever. Put a small mattress in the back and take nap between classes.

Originally Posted By: CT8
A 4 cyl Toyota Camry. It will last a long time.

+1 and a lot more useful for kids I heard then a small car the person is considering.

So many posts about economy and looks. I'm always amazed by how little people care about how much fun a car is to drive...

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
So many posts about economy and looks. I'm always amazed by how little people care about how much fun a car is to drive...

Exactly. But then, most of our driving is commute on highways or in the city. When the speed limit is 65 mph, how much fun are you going to have on an interstate?

I myself buy German cars for safety and comfort. The fun part is always available but there are not many opportunities for it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: d00df00d

I drive about 30k per year, wife drives 25k. Cost per mile simply outweighs smiles per mile.

Although you do have a point. A car that can swerve to avoid potholes and road debris, get airtime off frost heaves, traverse muddy roads and manage a foot of snow would be fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back