The Evolution of Vehicular Needs

Status
Not open for further replies.
I could stretch the budget, but with the Soul/Accent/Rio/? at the 14-15k range after discounts, it would take a special vehicle to raise my budget 20-40%.

Re: Mitsubishi - with their shrinking market share and questionable dealer network, I don't trust them to exist in 7 years here in America.

Originally Posted By: CourierDriver
Call Dave Ramsey...................

I've been without payment for many years, just like Dave would want.

I don't know if his advice would work for a 1st year law student who needs a 100% reliable vehicle. I'm not worried about building wealth, I'm worried about adding an unnecessary layer of stress to an already stressful existence. If I had a normal 9-5 job and could accept a day off here and there I would buy a $5k Accord and call it a day.

With the Navy Reserve taking up a weekend and school taking up 24 days a month, I don't have time to mess with a "good deal"

I agree with stretching the budget a little, if possible. I'm a huge fan of he Honda Fit, though my wife absolutely hates their styling. If you've never been in one, you'll be pretty surprised at how good the visibility is, and how practical it can be. It is, however, a dog with the small engine, and changes gears often to maintain speed even on the smallest of hills.

Outside of that, most small economical cars are pretty reliable, so searching around for a gem of a car could result in a substantial savings over dealer CPO, with thousands in savings that would be used for any possible failures not covered by the CPO warranty.

So just to boogey a little bit:

My current #1 is the Hyundai Accent Sport Hatchback 6MT, new I can get for about $13.5k It has a nice sound system, Bluetooth, cruise, good ride/handling balance, quiet/relaxed at highway speed, and nice interior room.

While I think many of the suggested cars may be "better", do you think they are better with 50k miles versus the Accent new?

I need to drive:

Mazda 3 hatch (used)
Honda Fit (used)
Kia Soul (new)
Kia Rio5 (new)

Anything else I should put on the list?

Used. Camry.4 banger.Done. Easy 200k.

2010-2012..save a few bucks. After a little while, you can use it as a beater while you can get something to enjoy.

Car won't thrill, but it will be dependable.....(Can't believe I'm saying this....
crazy2.gif
)

Guessing that for about half that cost, you could lease a brand new one, get a 15k mile lease, and have all the benefits of new (including warranty). At the end of 3,years, you have the option of buying or walking away if the vehicle no longer fits your needs. In 3 years, you will have a better handle of your life's situation and may want/afford something better.

The gas savings and car payments seem to break even, so it seems like it's a decent deal, although extra costs of insurance. Have you looked at the used car market? A gently used Toyota Matrix/ Pontiac Vibe sounds like it would work for you.

Originally Posted By: BowNisPar
While I think many of the suggested cars may be "better", do you think they are better with 50k miles versus the Accent new?

I need to drive:

Mazda 3 hatch (used)
Honda Fit (used)
Kia Soul (new)
Kia Rio5 (new)

I would avoid Hyundai or Kia, especially their lower priced models. Two reasons. 1) I know someone who is a technician at a Kia dealer (also a Ford dealer) and has nothing but bad things to say about Kias, especially regarding service. He says parts are expensive, hard to get, and more difficulty to put on and thus more labor. 2) We recently had a 2013 Elantra on lease and just got rid of it. The build quality was not great and the engine was starting to become unusually noisy at 40,000 miles (it actually started around 20,000). I just wouldn't trust a Hyundai.

As for other vehicles...

My first choice would probably be a used Mazda 3 hatch.

You could also look at a used (CPO maybe) Pontiac Vibe or Toyota Matrix. They made them until 2012 for the Vibe and 2013 for Matrix. We had a 2003 Vibe from 2005-2013 and it was mostly great (the main issue was bad paint). We got rid of it when the AC went out and it wasn't worth fixing. We owned it from 21k miles to 143k miles with just maintenance, no repairs. The interior is a bit cheap but that is the case with any smaller car. The base engine (1.8L) was the same for the life of the vehicle, even the redesign in 2009, so all the kinks would be worked out (but as I said, the engine in the 2003 was great). If you can find one with the 2.4L it has a 5 speed instead of the dated 4 speed. Both were available in manual as well.

I know you said you are against Ford because of looks, but their CPO have a 7 year 100k powertrain warranty. Something to consider.

The Suburban is about 600 a year to insure w/ USAA. Looking at 2015's econo-cars, I'm looking at about 900 a year, so not significantly more. The Suburban has proved to be a costly companion with repairs that take more time/money than I will have in the coming years.

I will investigate a Matrix/Vibe...thanks!

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
The gas savings and car payments seem to break even, so it seems like it's a decent deal, although extra costs of insurance. Have you looked at the used car market? A gently used Toyota Matrix/ Pontiac Vibe sounds like it would work for you.

Wish I could find decent vibes around here...

Originally Posted By: wallyuwl
Originally Posted By: BowNisPar

I need to drive:

Mazda 3 hatch (used)
Honda Fit (used)
Kia Soul (new)
Kia Rio5 (new)

I would avoid Hyundai or Kia, especially their lower priced models. Two reasons. 1) I know someone who is a technician at a Kia dealer (also a Ford dealer) and has nothing but bad things to say about Kias, especially regarding service. He says parts are expensive, hard to get, and more difficulty to put on and thus more labor. 2) We recently had a 2013 Elantra on lease and just got rid of it. The build quality was not great and the engine was starting to become unusually noisy at 40,000 miles (it actually started around 20,000). I just wouldn't trust a Hyundai.

As for other vehicles...

My first choice would probably be a used Mazda 3 hatch.

You could also look at a used (CPO maybe) Pontiac Vibe or Toyota Matrix. They made them until 2012 for the Vibe and 2013 for Matrix. We had a 2003 Vibe from 2005-2013 and it was mostly great (the main issue was bad paint). We got rid of it when the AC went out and it wasn't worth fixing. We owned it from 21k miles to 143k miles with just maintenance, no repairs. The interior is a bit cheap but that is the case with any smaller car. The base engine (1.8L) was the same for the life of the vehicle, even the redesign in 2009, so all the kinks would be worked out (but as I said, the engine in the 2003 was great). If you can find one with the 2.4L it has a 5 speed instead of the dated 4 speed. Both were available in manual as well.

I know you said you are against Ford because of looks, but their CPO have a 7 year 100k powertrain warranty. Something to consider.

Thank you for the thoughtful and well-put-together response. Unrelated, but I used to live in Lexington...what a beautiful city/part of the country.

That CPO warranty is definitely something to consider. Yours is the second mention of the Vibe/Matrix, so I will definitely do due diligence.

I bought a new kia soul in '12 and its been 100% the whole time I was in school, and working a 50 hr a week job that started at 0300hrs. I needed a relable car.

Like you I appreciate a good driving dynamic. To me however even with the 6mt its only lightly spirited, on the high side of meh even. The Rio, soul, and accent all share base architecture. I fit in the soul best an so it was my choice

Anyway the 1.6 returns about 40mpg on the highway and 30 in the city, the car is roomy, I am 6'4" and 300 lbs. With the seat set up for me I can sit behind myself. Base model had most options I wanted all in all its a good car.

If I could do it over I'd opt for a center console or arm rest, 3m paint film( the paint is soft or thin), wheels larger than stock steel 15" (they prove squeemish when pushed), and cruise (although with a CAN based system cruise can be installed by simply installing a switch, and I have done just that)

Tldr, good car, kinda bland

Originally Posted By: hansj3
I bought a new kia soul in '12 and its been 100% the whole time I was in school, and working a 50 hr a week job that started at 0300hrs. I needed a relable car.

Like you I appreciate a good driving dynamic. To me however even with the 6mt its only lightly spirited, on the high side of meh even. The Rio, soul, and accent all share base architecture. I fit in the soul best an so it was my choice

Anyway the 1.6 returns about 40mpg on the highway and 30 in the city, the car is roomy, I am 6'4" and 300 lbs. With the seat set up for me I can sit behind myself. Base model had most options I wanted all in all its a good car.

If I could do it over I'd opt for a center console or arm rest, 3m paint film( the paint is soft or thin), wheels larger than stock steel 15" (they prove squeemish when pushed), and cruise (although with a CAN based system cruise can be installed by simply installing a switch, and I have done just that)

Tldr, good car, kinda bland

Excellent Reddit-esque TLDR. Thanks!

Some parts of Texas are flat...Houston certainly is. But don't mistake, there are mountains, valleys and everything in between in this huge state.

Would agree with the Kia Soul as well...seems to do well bang for buck for the smaller CUVs. Know a few folks who have them, and are problem free...

I have a friend who works at a dealer that carries Hyundai. And he says they aren't too bad reliability wise, just never buy one with an automatic.

I get to see a lot of cars of all types on an almost daily basis and it seems to me that the Korean brands almost always seem much older than they actually are. That would be part of my advice is to cruise by the dealers when they are closed and look at 5 year old ones. Thats my observation anyway FWIW.

Also, you seem like you've probably considered it, but look at 5 year old values.

Were I in your shoes I would probably stretch the budget to get a Fit or Civic, OR even the new HR-V (that is a pretty big stretch though).

I'd recommend replacing the transmission fluid after the first 10k miles to get any break-in particles out. The transmission should shift better too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back