Traded in the Sonata for a Malibu. Dealership issue.

We rented one in Arizona and imo it was just ok. My issue was I'd hit my head on the pillar when getting in, and I'm only 6'..
There are many new cars that sit so low to the ground one has to fold one's self in to them. I'm a little over 5'10" and I need to be careful.

My issue was I'd hit my head on the pillar when getting in, and I'm only 6'..
That has been my complaint about every late-model Corolla I've driven. I think the push for better aerodynamics has led to a windshield laid back so low it crowds the passenger compartment. The top of the window is way up by your forehead but the bottom of it is many feet out in front.

That has been my complaint about every late-model Corolla I've driven. I think the push for better aerodynamics has led to a windshield laid back so low it crowds the passenger compartment. The top of the window is way up by your forehead but the bottom of it is many feet out in front.
(Hitting head on pillar / roof getting inside the Corolla vehicle driver door)
This is the main reason why Toyota unveiled the Corolla Cross SUV. No more headaches / less needs for Tylenol and/or ice pack

Should you be in a hurry - run back into the house to grab an ice pack and hold it to the side of your head for relief, when you put the vehicle into Drive Mode to continue your journey, remove the ice pack immediately, but don't store it right between your legs.

We had a Toyota Corolla for 8-9 days (gift from a bump shop when wife dinged her Kia Soul). My head pained me weeks later.

Last edited:
(Hitting head on pillar / roof getting inside the Corolla vehicle driver door)
This is the main reason why Toyota unveiled the Corolla Cross SUV. No more headaches / less needs for Tylenol and/or ice pack
I wonder - and I'm just thinking out loud here - if part of the reason why Americans have gone all-in for SUVs and crossovers is because "regular" cars have gotten so tight inside? In an earlier thread, I was comparing a 2002 vs. a 2022 Camry and I concluded I preferred the 2002 model for many many reasons. I miss the spaciousness of the older models even if the real numbers suggest otherwise (the headroom issue with the Corolla, for example). If the newer car feels tight inside, it probably IS tight inside.

I wonder - and I'm just thinking out loud here - if part of the reason why Americans have gone all-in for SUVs and crossovers is because "regular" cars have gotten so tight inside?

That's 100% it for me. My daughter's 2016 Malibu is a prime example. I have to curl up to get into the driver's seat or I'll whack my head on the roof line every time. Her 8th gen Malibu looks large from the outer dimensions, but once you're in the driver's seat, does not seem so large.

Our 2015 Versa has a high roof line and relatively high seating for a small vehicle. No small sedan is made like that today.

The more curvy the roof line that less roomy the cabin will be. Just look at the difference. But that affects the looks greatly.

So here we are with cars that not only feel cramped, but actually are cramped, despite having good interior volume numbers.

Image.jpeg

I think it’s Japanese cars in general.

It’s not new in the last decade or more…

The windshield thing is no different than Chrysler cab forward from 30 years ago. That certainly did help aerodynamics of course. But I fit in those cars. In the Japanese cars my head hits… it’s why I bought my accord hybrid without a sunroof…

How's the visibility in the new Malibu? Do the real parking sensors perform as advertised?
It's just fine. Yes, the sensor does its job without much fuss or in-your-face alarms. Most of my family is 6ft or less. So we don't find it cramped (addressing a different poster's concern).

You can, but it won't die. You don't like Malibus you have proved that in other threads and that is fine, but I'm taking one before ANY Kia/Hyundai product.
I'd bet money my 2015 out lives any 2015 Kia/Hyundai product. I typically stay out of these threads, but the Malibu is better.
I find it amazing how foreign manufacturers get a break over American made vehicles.
Hyundai Kia engines, many of them are garbage and have blown up on consumers over the last decade.
GM will certainly has its weaknesses (like any manufacturer) in some places but their engines and associated components for the amount of cars they produce are reliable as heck, almost bulletproof.

I’m a crazy person with maintenance, and I have been burned in the past on a Honda, Nissan and Subaru, my brother recently on a Kia/not too old/engine blew up.

I’ve never had an issue with a GM engine or transmission. Sometimes the hardware isn’t up to snuff such as simple things like dials controls windshield washers, but even those have greatly improved.

Back