may switch from Mobil 1 ep 5w20

Status
Not open for further replies.
I posted before how my focus used half a quart in about 1500 miles on the stuff before since then it has tapered off like many of you said it would but from 10,000 -12300 I've used almost half a quart again. I do a lot of highway driving. I want to do 10000 mile drains but if it's going to use oil and I'll need to add in in between I see little benefit. When I ran vwb. I didn't burn on single drop but obviously I shouldn't run that oil 10,000 miles . What do you guys recommend?

If you want 10k OCI regular Mobil 1 should meet all your requirements. Not to say you can't use Mobil 1 EP but it wouldn't cause a night and day difference on 10k miles. Highway miles are easy miles on a car, and regular Mobil 1 should hold up well for you.

I switched from the 0w20 AFE to the 0w20 EP. Was using 1/2 qt between 7500 miles. Don't know yet how the EP will hold up compare to the AFE but I intend to go to 10k mile OCI.

How many OCIs have you gone with the new oil so far?

And since you didn't add until after the 10k mark, I would say you're good!

1 quart in 4,600 miles isn't a big deal at all. Just keep topping it off and stop worrying.

Originally Posted By: ram_man
I just don't like having to go buy a quart to top off with.
Then don't but suffer the consequences, my prior Jeep bought brand new used one qt.of oil its first year of ownership if over 20,000 miles every 4,000 miles and slowly tapered off to practical nothing.

Based on your driving habits (mostly HWY), you could run MC Semi-Syn on 10k OCI's and do just fine as well as meet your warranty requirements.

That said if you want maximum protection then look at 0w-20 M1 EP which is at least 60% PAO content.

I just don't like having to go buy a quart to top off with.
Plan ahead and buy a couple extra qts of oil.

Run VWB or another quality conventional for 7.5k if you're really worried. Perhaps give the MC blend a try too.

I also have a 2014 Focus which now has 12K. I think it used 1/2 quart between OCI's but it's hard to tell because it reads different depending on when I check it.

I would like to go to 10K OCIs on synthetic because the 'belly pan' is a real PITA to remove each time I change the oil....it has 9 screws holding it in place....

I posted before how my focus used half a quart in about 1500 miles on the stuff before since then it has tapered off like many of you said it would but from 10,000 -12300 I've used almost half a quart again. I do a lot of highway driving. I want to do 10000 mile drains but if it's going to use oil and I'll need to add in in between I see little benefit. When I ran vwb. I didn't burn on single drop but obviously I shouldn't run that oil 10,000 miles . What do you guys recommend?

Change oil at lesser intervals. 5-7k mile intervals should be plenty safe for your application. If you really dont want to get away from extended intervals, perhaps upgrading to something like Royal Purple would be the best option. It is the one of the few off the shelf oils that is garaunteed to run 15k miles. Food for thought.

Originally Posted By: SHOZ
Adding the extra oil between changes helps boost the additive pack in the motor.

Thats all fine and dandy, but the fact of the matter is that the oil isn't surviving the interval! This is not a good thing!!
sick.gif

Originally Posted By: pbm
I also have a 2014 Focus which now has 12K. I think it used 1/2 quart between OCI's but it's hard to tell because it reads different depending on when I check it.

I would like to go to 10K OCIs on synthetic because the 'belly pan' is a real PITA to remove each time I change the oil....it has 9 screws holding it in place....

I cut mine around the filter and the drain plug for easy access.

I cut mine around the filter and the drain plug for easy access.

One way to do it! I want to do that on my Tundra skid plate, just need to find someone with a sawzall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back