2015 Hemi Factory Fill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dealer told me that factory fill for both my 2014 Ram and 2015 Challenger was Semi-Synthetic. Both vehicles have the 5.7L Hemi. Changed to PU at 1,000 miles on both vehicles. Will be doing 5K OCIs from now on.

Originally Posted By: FowVay
Out of curiosity, which engines use the SRT 0W-40 that Pennzoil made specifically for Chrysler?

The only ones currently in production are the SRT 6.4 V8 and the V10...

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Oil filter will do its job, no problem with running the factory fill a normal interval.

This times 100. The oil filter will do its job and remove any particles from the oil. My rule of thumb is 5k miles on conventional and 7.5K miles on synthetic and that is what I would do.

I like your plan. I dumped the FF in my HEMI at around 1500 miles, and have been running synthetic to the OLM ever since.

Out of curiosity, which engines use the SRT 0W-40 that Pennzoil made specifically for Chrysler?

I know that one of them is the 6.4 that is in the HD trucks

Originally Posted By: Alex38
I like your plan. I dumped the FF in my HEMI at around 1500 miles, and have been running synthetic to the OLM ever since.

How long does it take for the OLM to come on or go to 0% when using synthetic? The manual says to change every 12 months which is what I plan to do and I would be surprised if the life was down to 0% under 8k miles.

The OLM in my truck seems to be going for a 6k-7k mile change. I'm at 2600 with 58% life left.

I have no clue how Ram's monitor works, I don't know if its sophisticated like GM's or just a mileage counter.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
The OLM in my truck seems to be going for a 6k-7k mile change. I'm at 2600 with 58% life left.

I have no clue how Ram's monitor works, I don't know if its sophisticated like GM's or just a mileage counter.

It is a iOLM very similar to GM's.

My OLM also comes on app. 6-7k miles. 2012 5.7L HEMI. Mixed city/highway driving.

No idea how accurate or conservative the OLM algorithm is. Was using M1 5W-20, changed to PU 5W-20 only for added cleanliness. My OCI's are based on my convenience, I feel safe with this high quality oil (& Wix or FU filter).

OCI is every 4 months = 3x/year, avg's out to about 6k miles. I didn't want to push it to 2x/year = 9k miles.

New Jeep WK2 overland with the 5.7

With current style driving, wife would get about 10K according to the OLM, about 1000 miles per 10% reduction in life.

Have dumped the oil a few times already.

Will go to twice a year oil changes with synthetic, Winter fill will go the whole winter until it gets warmer around here in April.

Fantastice engine and driveline with the 8spd, avg over 21 mpg.

That is a lot of driving to change that often! I certainly don't miss my old, lengthy commute amongst crazy highway drivers.

I'm thinking of using 5 quarts of PYB and adding in 2 quarts of Redline 5W-20 to avoid any potential ticking as well as gain some synthetic advantage.

I have seen people here get almost 10k out of their fill of PYB with this engine. I think these engines are very easy on oil so a conventional would do just fine. That said, I understand not wanting to stretch conventional that long either. At that mileage, the additional cost of synthetic for piece of mind isn't enough to worry about.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
I have seen people here get almost 10k out of their fill of PYB with this engine. I think these engines are very easy on oil so a conventional would do just fine. That said, I understand not wanting to stretch conventional that long either. At that mileage, the additional cost of synthetic for piece of mind isn't enough to worry about.

I have never run that many miles on anything but synthetic but these days conventional oils are going impressively far. Most likely my yearly changes will be around 6k miles which I am comfortable with as I am not towing. If it turns out I am driving more as the truck has more room over my wife's 4Runner, I may switch to synthetic but want to avoid any engine ticking. Redline has a high moly count which is supposed to help but not guaranteed.

Honda is I think the last company using a heavily fortified oil for initial factory fill aka break-in oil. In contrast look at the plain Jane oil Toyota uses as factory fill.

I can not speak too authoritatively on Fiat Chrysler companies engine manufacturing details or it's chemical use but if they are typical of other Domestic or previously Domestics OEM they are not using anything fancy as FF.

What makes you think the FF is PYB?

Nothing wrong with early drain and refill.

Dropping a can of GM EOS or half a bottle of Redline Engine Break_In additive would be a good idea.

Driving it like you stole it doing 3/4 and WOT pulls with engine breaking in 3rd would help seat the rings as well.

Dodge used to recommend doing some hard WOT pulls in the owners manual to help break the engine in back in the day. Not sure if they still do.

I have no idea what my 2014 ram hemi came with as I got it used with 27k miles on it. I don't know what the previous owner had in it either. I assume whatever hyundai uses as that's the dealership I bought it from and it had a hyundai oil filter. lol

I'm still on the first oil change I've done on it. I bought a bunch of M1 EP in 0w20 for $1 a quart at autozone earlier in the year. I still have probably 35 quarts left.

I've got just over 6k miles on this oci with a fram ultra. No ticks, leaks, or using oil. Hasn't budged on the dipstick. I'm satisfied with it. I'll changed it when the OLM hits 10% or so. Right now says I have 33% left.

No, it's not MS-6395 certified.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
Check the owners manual again.

Some cars want you to go the full OCI with the FF, particularly Honda. I don't know what Fiat says to do, though.

My recommendation is to just go by the OLM from the very beginning, especially while under warranty.

Back in 06 Fiat said to drain FF on 20 or 30k KM mark. I went on safe side and changed oil and filter on 24k.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

The only ones currently in production are the SRT 6.4 V8 and the V10...

You missed one.... the 6.2L Hellcat also uses 0w40. :)

My OLM is right on the mark to be a 10k oil change. I do mostly highway. I do get on it now and then. No "Hemi tick" nor does it use any oil so far.

Love this truck!

Originally Posted By: chrisri
Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
Check the owners manual again.

Some cars want you to go the full OCI with the FF, particularly Honda. I don't know what Fiat says to do, though.

My recommendation is to just go by the OLM from the very beginning, especially while under warranty.

Back in 06 Fiat said to drain FF on 20 or 30k KM mark. I went on safe side and changed oil and filter on 24k.

2013: follow the OLM... but you can't see how much oil life is left so one day the change-oil-immediately-light will be flashing. happened at 22k for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back