Fram Ultra Filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have never been a fan of Fram filters, I have always liked to use Fleetguard whenever possible. Due to a injury I can no longer change the oil in my wife's car (07' Dodge Caliber), and the last couple years I have just cringed knowing it had a el cheapo PHxxxx Fram filter on it. We have ran Mobil 1 in the car since the first 3,000 mile oil change, and it now has 168,000 miles on it. I was searching this site the other night for a better filter and came across some reviews for the Fram Ultra. I went to the store today and compared the Ultra to the regular Fram filter and was impressed by just how much weight difference there was between the two. The Ultra is much heavier and also looks better from what you can see without cutting it open to compare. I went ahead and bought a couple today while I was there.

My question to you all is this. We recently (two oil changes ago) switched from the regular Mobil 1 to the Mobil 1 High Mileage and we have always changed the oil at 5,000 mile intervals, and the engine uses no oil. By switching to this new filter, do you all think it would be reasonable to extend my OCI out to 7,500 miles? Or should I just plan on staying with the 5,000 mile OCI?

Thanks!

The filter is rated for 15,000 mile, regardless of how long it takes.

The Oil is a different story. I'm not familiar with many uoas on that engine, but it's very reasonable for the Mobil 1 HM to go 7500 miles or more in most applications as long as it's not severe service.

Use the Fram Ultra with confidence, it's one of the best filters out there.

I see no reason the M1HM wouldn't be good for 7500 miles. Honestly, it's probably good for quite a bit longer but I'd probably get a UOA done at 7500 miles before extending the OCI any longer.

You could always stick with your 5,000 mile OCIs and keep the same oil filter on for 10,000 miles. That will still easily be within a Fram Ultra's rated service life, and the filter will be more efficient during that second OCI.

I am running 7,500 mi OCIs in both of my cars right now and I leave the Frams on for 2 OCIs.

Welcome to Bitog... Fram ultra seems to be constructed very well and it is rated for 15,000 miles.. I am using one now on a friends vehicle and so far i am impressed... Like you i would never use a fram but this filter is different. I was not so sure about the flow of that filter but fram claims there is no problem with the flow. I will say it seems to be keeping the oil very clean. It is not cheap so i would run that filter 2 oci's it is rated for 15,000 miles. If you compare the threads on the fram to other ones you will see they are superior also. I compared that filter to Motorcraft FL-820s and looking at the threads on the base plate the fram looked much better. 7500 miles is not a lot on an oil change

Bouncer welcome to BITOG!

The Fram ultra is a pretty good filter and it gets a lot of attention here. Is it the best? That is debatable but I think everyone agrees it is a good choice for a synthetic media filter.

As for the oil, your 5k mile oil changes are a good idea, especially if the majority of your driving is stop and go city traffic. You could always try pushing out to 7.5k and probably won't have an issue.

As for the filter, it is rated up to 15k miles. This is a point of contention. Some will tell you to reuse the filter over and over again, others will recommend using it once and done. I would tell you to do some research and make up your own mind. Don't make a decision based on one opinion alone. Look for differing viewpoints and then go with whatever makes you happy.

Once again, welcome to BITOG! I'm sure you will enjoy the discussion here!

Welcome aboard. I was hesitant of the frasm ultra because of the 'orange can of death era', but after doing research, the fram is hard to beat.

Run it with confidence.

Originally Posted By: WillB
Welcome aboard. I was hesitant of the frasm ultra because of the 'orange can of death era', but after doing research, the fram is hard to beat.

Run it with confidence.

And that is the key, the word "Fram" conjures up lots of negative remarks on online forums, mostly based on no evidence what-so-ever. But once you get a bad reputation (deserved or not) it's hard to shake it.

If you took the Ultra and placed a the name "Mobil 1", "Royal Purple", or "Amsoil" on it I don't think there would even be a debate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back