Need New Cell Phone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finally my current dumb phone with Verizon is dead. I have family plan that costs $110 a month for 4 phones with 700 minutes talk and unlimited text but no data because all phone are dumb ones. Currently 2 phones are month to month and contract for 2 other phones will end in November.

I am looking to upgrade 2 expired phones to smart phones with Republic Wireless. I will need to get the phones and activate it before cancel the month to month with Verizon to keep the old/current number.

The plan is most likely $10/mo with unlimited talk/text with WiFi/Cell and unlimited data with WiFi only. But they allow changing plan once a month or once a quarter.

They have these phone: Motorola Moto-X(2nd &1st Gen), Moto-G(1st Gen) and Moto-E(1st Gen)

Looks like Moto-X is the latest Motorola phone that Republic carries and capacity and display screen is slightly larger at 5.2" seems to be more than others.

I would like to have your opinions and experiences with these Motorola Moto-xxx phones. Or if you have other smart phone(s) with another carrier that you like please post too. The only smart phone I don't care for is Apple, I just don't like I-Phone.

I've had my 1st gen Moto X(on VZW) for around a year. no complaints. (It's one I designed on the Motomaker website)
https://www.motorola.com/us/motomaker?pid=FLEXR2&action=designNew

it was the first model Motorola designed while owned by Google, and built in Ft Worth TX(the only smart phone built in the USA, BTW)

but by the time the second gen, and the others came out, Motorola had changed hands again, and the brand is now owned by Lenovo.(the Former PC arm of IBM, now under Chinese ownership), and built somewhere in Asia like the rest of the smart phones.

of the 11 Cellphones i've had, I have only had 2 brands, Motorola, and LG. The motos were good, the LG's were [censored].
that being said, i've had freinds with the exact opposite experience.

I have the 2nd gen Moto X with Verizon and love the phone.

The ability to check the time and view texts without even unlocking the phone is a small but really useful feature. The built in speaker is also better than most and gets lots of compliments when playing music.

The phone was absolutely flawless running 4.4.4 KitKat out of the box. It has a volume level glitch now running 5.0 lollipop where an ascending ring cannot be turned off but its not a big deal. maybe the next update will fix that.

The unlimited data over WIFI is a joke. Its not their network in that situation. So its not a plus or minus.

Look at Consumer Cellular. They have excellent customer service and use AT&T cell towers.

I have not had a Motorola phone since my Droid 2.

Last edited:
Check out BLU phones. I recently went through the whole phone buying phase and found about about this brand, which I had never previously hard of, but so far I've been satisfied. Prior to this, I was looking at a phone that was literally 4 times higher than what I ended up paying for my phone.

Thank you all for your experiences and inputs.

I have absolutely zero experience/knowledge about smart phones. I have no idea what is Droid and/or other Operating Systems. I also have no knowledge about any brand/model such as BLU, One Plus One, Nexus 6 ...

I need more information and will make up my mind about your suggestions.

Please post your opinions/advices about smart phone and carriers.

Check out Cricket Wireless.

I switched from VZW and have been quite happy.
They had Moto G's for $99, and $75 rebate. Gone now, but you could find them on ebay. Otherwise the Moto E is $80 right now.

Cricket also uses AT&T and has great multi-line/family pricing.
(you could PM for a referral, if you go that route)

Originally Posted By: qdeezie
Check out BLU phones. I recently went through the whole phone buying phase and found about about this brand, which I had never previously hard of, but so far I've been satisfied. Prior to this, I was looking at a phone that was literally 4 times higher than what I ended up paying for my phone.

those are just the same smartphones from the other companies rebranded to a Bestbuy private label. (and probably built to a lower price point that their main channel cousins) the 2 on top of their main page, the Studio X, and the Studio G, are a MotoX(2nd gen), and a MotoG.

Originally Posted By: surfstar
Check out Cricket Wireless.

I switched from VZW and have been quite happy.
They had Moto G's for $99, and $75 rebate. Gone now, but you could find them on ebay. Otherwise the Moto E is $80 right now.

Cricket also uses AT&T and has great multi-line/family pricing.
(you could PM for a referral, if you go that route)

Agreed! I switched months ago to a $35 plan with a "Free" Windows Nokia phone and couldn't be happier. What difference it's been.

Originally Posted By: earlyre
Originally Posted By: qdeezie

those are just the same smartphones from the other companies rebranded to a Bestbuy private label. (and probably built to a lower price point that their main channel cousins) the 2 on top of their main page, the Studio X, and the Studio G, are a MotoX(2nd gen), and a MotoG.

Much less CPU in the studio X for sure. The Moto version is a 2.5 GHz IIRC

Originally Posted By: earlyre
the 2 on top of their main page, the Studio X, and the Studio G, are a MotoX(2nd gen), and a MotoG.

Not even close.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back