What motor oil would you use if it was 1970?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Google "motor oil commercial 1970". I finished looking at all the commercials 2 hours later.

I wasn.t born in 1970, however my father said they always ran Castrol in the 70's he said it was the best there was back in those days..but i don't really know.

My guess is id use Kendall if i was alive then, i like the logo.

I began changing oil back in the mid-70s, and I used "PYC" (Pennzoil came in yellow cans) and Castrol GTX more or less interchangeably in my 1971 Mercury Comet. GTX 20w-50 was my go-to oil in the summer. I used Yamalube 20w-40 in my motorcycles back then.

I still have an old oil spout that punctures the metal tops of the old style cardboard oil cans. I have no reason to keep it, but I can't bring myself to get rid of it.

I wasn't born till '72, but my Uncle worked for Texaco for decades so we used Havoline.

I remember in the late 70's / early 80's oil with "graphite" added lol. That wasn't around too long.

I also miss doing oil changes with my Dad on our new '77 E-150 with the 300 straight 6, a big ol' orange PH8A, and putting the oil spout with the razor sharp point into the oil CAN.

20W50 Castrol GTX...was in the 1/2 and full litre glass bottles in the racks at the service stations.

Oft next to the "store brand" bottles, you could tell the GTX as it was a greeny tinge, not brown/yellow.

1987, when I worked in a service station, there were two full racks of GTX glass bottles and pourer/lids...boss told me to take them to the dump, or take them home...I took them to the dump.

Hi,
10W-30 without a doubt - this viscosity was widely recommended in Handbooks and by Oil Companies> Of course using the correct viscosity was paramount!!

Mono-grades were still popular too, mainly 20 and 30

Mercedes Benz like other German Manufacturers still used Mono-grade lubricants and recommended HD versions (HDEO). MD carried out oil pressure testing for Warranty purposes etc. with an SAE10 lubricant

By the mid 1970s Castrol was pushing GTX 20W-50 (SE/CC) and Grand Prix 20W-40 (SE/CC). As well they had a fantastic synthetic, Formula "R" 15W-50. This red coloured ester based lubricant had a very pleasant exhaust odour. I used this great lubricant in a wide variety of engines - light diesels too!

Castrol's RX Super was a popular HDEO, API SE/CD and with MIL-L-2104C and MIL-L-46152

Today our modern lubricant choice is bewildering - and where "certified" they are truely excellent products

All Dinos ...

Nobody said Motul semi_synthetic? I'd use that, if i could buy it.

Btw it had a semi-synthetic oil in 1970. Motul launched it in 1966.

From Wikipedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motul_(company)

"In 1966, Century 2100 appeared on the market. It was the first semi-synthetic car lubricant,[2] a product that withstands constraints and mechanical loads ten-times higher than usual lubricants. In 1971, Motul innovated again with Century 300V, the first 100% synthetic car oil."

I would run Oilzum motor oil that's what my father ran all the time. 10w40 in the summer and 10w30 in the winter never an oil related issue.

My dad used Castrol GTX 10w40 and my grandfather was using Quaker State 10w40.

Originally Posted By: Bud_One
Sinclair
banana2.gif

I loved their dinosaur logo.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack

And never STP even though it passed the screwdriver test.

{Knowing Chuckle} I remember that commercial.

In the mid-70's, I remember dad using nothing but Sohio Multron 10w40. When my brother and I built the V8 Vega in 1978, we used Sunoco Cam2 20w50 racing oil in the Chevy 327.

Gulf-Pride or Quaker State Deluxe; my Dad used both and the cars always ran well into the 200K range (which is saying something for cars of that era).

I wasn't buying oil in 1970, but my dad was, and I'd have been using what he did. Then, it was 10w-30 Shell and Esso products. Bulk stuff he got from Imperial Oil, and PCMO in smaller containers was from my uncle who had a Shell station.

Originally Posted By: HappyLittlePony
I remember my father sending me into the local discount store to buy 10W40 Trop-Artic for his Plymouth Valiant Duster.

I used Trop Artic in my Valiant Duster and don't recall anything but 10W30 being available until about 1974. I started using the 10W40 because it supposedly offered more protection. In retrospect, all I was doing was introducing more viscosity index improver into the equation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back