Rerefined motor oil?

Good Afternoon folks. If rerefined oil was easily available to you; would you use it? Currently using Safety Kleen Ck-4 5w40 in few vehicles since I can get it delivered to work. I see no issues with it. I do remember Bbalvoline nextgen motor oil also.

I'd use it if it was available and the price was comparable to off the shelf oils. From what I see, there is no price benefit to it compared to Kirkland/Super Tech/Quaker State/Chevron/etc when looking at 5w-30 synthetic.

Last edited:
I have considered it and if it were off the shelf easy I would use it in vehicles where I personally consider it appropriate

The stigma around recycling oil and plastic and still getting a clean product will be the biggest issue the industry will have to face one day soon

And with all the brand bashing of some oils imagine trying to have a discussion once the word gets brought up

All that being said I buy by brand nostalgia first then look for specs and a few dollars savings last ......I know I know for some it's any order of those 3 that's why we are all here correct?

Good topic Stude

I have used re-refined oil before and I would have no issues using it in the future. It just comes down to cost for me. The re-refined product would need to be discounted beyond what I can buy brand new M1 / PUP on sale with rebates etc. for and that might not be possible.

The issue with discounting the price of re-refined oil is people would assume it's a lesser product... maybe taken from the pit at Iffy Lube and filtered through some old pantyhose. Marketing is and has been an issue, so they stay on the down low now, mostly. The SK stuff seems like it exists to meet an eco/ regulatory environment.

True story, my boss got his oil changed "for $85" and was glad he got "real synthetic" and not "recycled" oil.

I have used re-refined oil before and I would have no issues using it in the future. It just comes down to cost for me. The re-refined product would need to be discounted beyond what I can buy brand new M1 / PUP on sale with rebates etc. for and that might not be possible.
Probably not.

I suspect the biggest chunk of the costs is the refining and additive package. The raw materials are probably one of the smallest costs in motor oil production.

Just my guess, but I'm thinking even with free used motor oil, the costs to produce the product are little different from the costs to refine crude.

But that's just my impression, I'm open to anyone with some real, hard data.

I have considered it and if it were off the shelf easy I would use it in vehicles where I personally consider it appropriate

The stigma around recycling oil and plastic and still getting a clean product will be the biggest issue the industry will have to face one day soon

And with all the brand bashing of some oils imagine trying to have a discussion once the word gets brought up

All that being said I buy by brand nostalgia first then look for specs and a few dollars savings last ......I know I know for some it's any order of those 3 that's why we are all here correct?

Good topic Stude

Yes, soon the world will realize that we will at current consumption will run out of crude oil. I haven’t ever saw an oil related issue using Safety Kleen oils at my work to date. That’s going on 19+ years. It may cost but more but least I have general idea of what I’m getting. As stepdad says “a company is there to MAKE money; not LOSE MONEY!”

I used the Valvoline product in the Maxlife 10W-40 flavor years ago in my little e36 ragtop.
I posted a UOA way back in 2018 IIRC and it was quite nice.
Either BMWs hard charging little NA four was a really good design or the Nexgen was really good oil or probably both.
I'd have no problem with using re-refined motor oil again.

Years ago when I was a kid Topps sold re-refined oil. My dad told me that it was better than virgin oil because it had been refined twice.
I would only use virgin oil myself.

I'd use it if it was available and the price was comparable to off the shelf oils. From what I see, there is no price benefit to it compared to Kirkland/Super Tech/Quaker State/Chevron/etc when looking at 5w-30 synthetic.
According to the MSDS from HighlineWarren for Supertech All Mileage oil it contains 65-85% of spent oil which is re-refined.

Good Afternoon folks. If rerefined oil was easily available to you; would you use it? Currently using Safety Kleen Ck-4 5w40 in few vehicles since I can get it delivered to work. I see no issues with it. I do remember Bbalvoline nextgen motor oil also.
absolutely. even wanted to buy from safety kleen but they wont deliver to residential for some reason.

100%, I'd go so far as to say that I would eliminate any constraints on labeling it as 'new'. As long as it passes back through the refining process and you essentially can't tell recycled product from virgin, then I say it is good enough to label as new.

They do so much with manufacturing molecules these days, all I care about is the end performance. I don't care where the starting molecules came from.

The base stock quality in re-refined motor oil depends heavily on the feedstock. Some of it can be as good, or slightly better than Group III. In other cases where the feedstock is of low-quality heavy industrial origin, the base oil will be a terrible product. Anyone interested to learn more about this, just do some searching around here as there are plenty of interesting posts about the subject.

Would I use it? Good quality motor oil is still cheap enough, so no, I wouldn't.

Back