What motor oil would you use if it was 1970?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not that I'm building a time machine, but what motor oil would you use with your knowledge today if it was 1970?

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
Not that I'm building a time machine, but what motor oil would you use with your knowledge today if it was 1970?

something off the shelf with a can of STP

Sinclair
banana2.gif

During the ‘70s proudly used Valvoline ‘ashless racing' 20W-50 with a Fram HP1 and HP4...
in my 2.0L Ford Pinto Runabout(!) and ’70 10.25:1 L48 300hp 350 Camaro SS/RS, respectively.

Ashland’s blend was good enough for Mario Andretti and A.J. Foyt!

Even the knowledge I have today won't help (me) much in 1970. In the real 1970 I used Phillips 66. 10w-30 Trop-Artic in my Karmann Ghia, and Castrol 20w-50 in my 650cc Rickman-Triumph.

PS. re the Trop-Artic, I'm from Bartlesville OK, home and headquarters of Phillips Petroleum Co.

I don't know about 1970, but I remember using Pennzoil, Quaker State, and Sears Spectrum oil in 1976-77. Mostly SAE 30 because some old guy told me that it was the best.

Originally Posted By: zray
Even the knowledge I have today won't help (me) much in 1970. In the real 1970 I used Phillips 66. 10w-30 Trop-Artic in my Karmann Ghia, and Castrol 20w-50 in my 650cc Rickman-Triumph.

PS. re the Trop-Artic, I'm from Bartlesville OK, home and headquarters of Phillips Petroleum Co.

Rickman-Triumph. Those were the coolest bikes I remember those. They were dream bikes!

1970 i was only 12 so i have no idea but in the mid 70's i remember using Sunoco's Cam 2 in my first cars. I would probably use it again if i knew then what i know now.

The garage downtown sold Esso, and would use it if they changed your oil. So, it would have been Esso.

I remember my father sending me into the local discount store to buy 10W40 Trop-Artic for his Plymouth Valiant Duster.

i started with sears spectrum 10w40 then went to pennzoil 10w40 and yes there was a lot of sludge back then (i still have the 79 cadillac we bought new in 79 to prove it.. I also have another 79 cadillac that used whatever we had at the shop and it is pretty clean inside. Both cars still run good and i still like pennzoil but it is much different now.
Back then i was a kid and after school i would hang out with some of my friends at my families engine shop and i am still there today..lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back