DUI checkpoint

Status
Not open for further replies.
thumbsup2.gif
That's awesome.

I could see how it could be used in a negative fashion, fielding a phone call and dispatching a patrol unit for a driver that accidentally cut someone off but is otherwise sober. But I still like the idea.

Originally Posted By: Spazdog
thumbsup2.gif
That's awesome.

I could see how it could be used in a negative fashion, fielding a phone call and dispatching a patrol unit for a driver that accidentally cut someone off but is otherwise sober. But I still like the idea.

That kind of call comes in daily also
you u don't like someone's driving u call it's a guarantee their coming.

Originally Posted By: dave123
As a police scanner listener on a Friday or Saturday night in my County I will hear say 5 to 10 reported DUI calls in from drivers with cell phones. Police will drop whatever they are doing and come fast and hard to get to that vehicle. Everyone with a cell phone is a DUI checkpoint.

I've made those calls more than once. I even let one officer borrow some tools to pull the license plates off the car right there on the spot.

Originally Posted By: SHOZ
Head on collisions are not always caused by drunks though. And many drunks never have accidents. Many accidents are not caused by drunks. What else do you want to screen for?

Should police cars have cell phone snifferes that can tell when you are on the phone when you drive by? Maybe have check points to check you text logs on the phone? Should police set up blood draw check points to test for drug (legal or illegal) levels in your system?

Latest campaign in Oz is for driver fatigue, which is being acknowledges as worse than drink or drugged driving in terms of contribution to the road toll...I've driven home from work after 29 hour shift, and I can tell you that I agree.

When the power industry was bringing in impairment testing, our sister site decided to go the whole way, and brought in a "track ball" impairment tester.

Before you could access site at start of shift, you had to use a track ball to guide a dot around a maze...you trend was recorded, and if you failed (either worse, or better, as some drugs would make you better), then it was blow the bag and get a swab.

We all thought is was great, as Management pro-actively allowed it to be used prior to or during overtime to assess whether you were fit for the extra shift, or even to drive home after a long shift.

Problem was that 6% of people failed every morning, requiring intervention, and over months, they only picked up one person over the limit for BAC. Every fail required a manager to do an assessment/testing before they could gain access to site.

Company explained that 6% was the statistical norm, depending on decent sleep, stress, any number of factors.

The campaign, although very well intentioned, was dropped for Random Breath tests and cheek swabs, which are now the norm in the power industry.

The take home was that 6% of the people who drove to work were impaired enough to draw attention in a highly developed "sobriety test" without actually having a chemical in their system.

And roadblocks for DUI, netting 0.1% aren't going to change it.

Originally Posted By: The_Eric
focus on the known areas where people get drunk, they can have legit reasons to stop people (seen staggering to cars, seat belt violations, lights out etc..) AND they can catch them in much closer proximity to their point of departure

40 years ago when it was noticed we had a big drunk driver problem, cops started targeting pub carparks and catching them as they came out onto the road. This started a hue and cry about ''freedoms'' etc. So they had to turn to more sneaky ways. I'd rather have a checkpoint, which doesn't take any time here, and unless it's something major, car and licensing issues are just a warning to get it sorted soon.

Revenue isn't the point, and only catching a few is seen as a good thing - it's about the message, if you drink and drive, we'll catch you.

That's a good way to get beaten to a pulp and have something planted in the car, or to die of a "self inflicted" gunshot wound to the back.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
That's a good way to get beaten to a pulp and have something planted in the car, or to die of a "self inflicted" gunshot wound to the back.

I was thinking the same thing. That's a death wish trying that.

Originally Posted By: WobblyElvis
I'm not for drunk driving but police check points bother the snot out of me.

I do not think a Policeman should have the right to take one second of my time without any indication I am breaking the law.

Second, if am totally sober and put one beer in my car and drive down the road drinking it. A cop stops me, without seeing me drinking, he sees the beer and I say "yes, I'm drinking one beer". I don't see why that's a crime.

I'm not drunk, I cannot get drunk, but it's a crime. It's like being stopped with a gun and no ammo but being charged for attempting to murder someone with the gun that can't shoot.

I doubt anyone will agree with me. I just like my freedom.
This kind of [censored] is constitutionally unsound! It is nothing more than the stripping of liberties from the American people. All law enforcement that I know admits it too. The problem is that big brother gives them grant money to do it. I call it bribery!

In New Zealand you can be drinking a bottle of beer while driving your car no problem....but if you are over the limit it's not legal. A good reason to stop you though.

Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
[

So what you are saying is if you are pulled over at a checkpoint for a DUI inspection, and while performing that check the Police find you have some kind of vehicle violation, you get ticketed or towed for that? Shocking. The nerve of them to write you a ticket or tow your car because you are in violation of the law.

Some people just make me laugh the way they get so outraged because they did something wrong and get in trouble for it.
crackmeup2.gif

Bottom line, don't drink and drive and you don't have to worry about any checkpoints. A little time out of your life waiting in line is not the end of the world. If they nail ONE drunk, just ONE, who might otherwise hurt or kill someone they are worth it. And if you don't want a ticket or don't want your vehicle towed inspect and register your vehicle properly, have your insurance card, etc.... Simple.

Yea honest people. Make sure all your paperwork is in order on your car. But if they are an illegal alien they kiss their but and send them on their way. It's a whacky world.

Only in America.

Granted, I'm not thrilled about being stopped for a few minutes at a checkpoint on my way home, but if it means catching a drunk who's just one red light away from a fatality accident, I'm cool with that.

('Slippery slope' advocates, please throw your straw man theories at someone else. I've had to deal with the effects of DUI's on a personal level, and no amount of polticing and 'gov. freedom restrictin' theories' will change my opinions)

Those that have travelled abroad can probably tell you that checkpoints are a way of life. At my family's home country in the Carribean, we ran into a checkpoint where the local police were checking for seatbelts. I know some LEO's don't enjoy being photographed, but these guys were cool and had no problem with it. The country had just began a major campaign to enforce seatbelt regulations after a record year of auto accident fatalities.

Originally Posted By: Fordtrucktexan
('Slippery slope' advocates, please throw your straw man theories at someone else. I've had to deal with the effects of DUI's on a personal level, and no amount of polticing and 'gov. freedom restrictin' theories' will change my opinions)

The ends justifying the means IS the slippery slope.

On a US motorcycle site I use, they are talking about motorcycle only checkpoints. This sounds a bit extreme and specific to me. Although we were stopped often in the '70's, riding certain bikes and dressing in a certain fashion made us an easy target....just a bit of a game. These days a motorcycle is generally waved through a checkpoint, no matter what it's for...just too much work.

Originally Posted By: Fordtrucktexan
Only in America.

Granted, I'm not thrilled about being stopped for a few minutes at a checkpoint on my way home, but if it means catching a drunk who's just one red light away from a fatality accident, I'm cool with that.

Those that have travelled abroad can probably tell you that checkpoints are a way of life. At my family's home country in the Carribean, we ran into a checkpoint where the local police were checking for seatbelts. I know some LEO's don't enjoy being photographed, but these guys were cool and had no problem with it. The country had just began a major campaign to enforce seatbelt regulations after a record year of auto accident fatalities.

Sorry for your loss, FordTruckTexan.

Originally Posted By: Sworf97
Yeah I completely agree with you. Pedestrian deaths or accidents keep on increasing. Earlier it was DUI now most of cases are due to distracted driving due to phones. My friend works with a DUI attorney Los Angeles and he just confirmed this last month only.

Need to start breath testing pedestrians rather than drivers...a significant number (like 40%) are over the legal limit...72% of THOSE were over 0.15...

It's not the drivers, it's the drunk idiot walkers.

Quote:
Blood alcohol content (or BAC) of .05 equates to, on average, two standard alcoholic drinks over one hour for a male, and one
for a woman.

40% of male fatalities and 11% of female fatalities involved a BAC of .05 or more. Males accounted for 89% of the pedestrian fatalities with a BAC of .05 or more.

Among males (16-70 years) a large proportion of pedestrian fatalities had a BAC of .05 or more. These fatalities were
broadly distributed across all age bands.

Among those killed with a BAC of .05 or more, nearly three quarters (72%) had a BAC of .15 or more. This BAC level represented 29% of all male pedestrian fatalities and 8% of female fatalities. As with drink driving, a large part of the problem associated with intoxicated pedestrians occurs at very high blood alcohol levels.

Driving near certain bars here at certain hours requires a great deal of diligence on the part of drivers. Low visibility combined with a gaggle of drunks leaving after last call doesn't make for a good combination if one doesn't pay scrupulous attention.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Driving near certain bars here at certain hours requires a great deal of diligence on the part of drivers. Low visibility combined with a gaggle of drunks leaving after last call doesn't make for a good combination if one doesn't pay scrupulous attention.

In Poland I recall that there were actual road signs to watch for drunks on the road in some of the rural villages...

The 'everyone is now a suspect' acceptability makes the whole idea of fighting for freedom a joke. You mean the freedoms we used to have.
The vast majority of road deaths do not involve drunk drivers. 67% here in NC do not involve a drunk driver.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back